Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS N*, 1SF, 144K mi.
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and before I could get safely off the road, the tire rubbed a hole in my MRC air damper's bladder.

Can anyone think of a way to patch this versus replace the entire thing? I put new rear struts in Pearl not but a couple of years ago, so I'd like to keep these.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
193 Posts
From another forum: Re: Magnetic Ride shocks

Arnott only refurbishes the Air Bladder portion of the rears, and the mounts. They do not open the shocks up and replace the Ferro-Megnetic fluid on MRC shocks, nor the fluid or valves on the Bi-State electronic shocks.
I have used these guys for compressors and bladders on a Lincoln and can say they work. Not sure about how long. Better than starting with all new.

Google Arnott.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They may do it on other machines, but not ours.

More than anything, I just want to keep water out of it. I feel some creativity coming on...

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
$367 and Prime
Driver's rear shock:
ACDelco 580-1066 GM Original Equipment Rear Driver Side Shock Absorber Kit
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PM2UHHM/

Plus about 1 hour of labor to replace the old one.

I wouldn't consider attempting to patch it, and you will likely burn out the air compressor too if you don't do something about that.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$367 and Prime
Driver's rear shock:
ACDelco 580-1066 GM Original Equipment Rear Driver Side Shock Absorber Kit
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PM2UHHM/

Plus about 1 hour of labor to replace the old one.

I wouldn't consider attempting to patch it, and you will likely burn out the air compressor too if you don't do something about that.
Thank you for the compressor heads-up!!!!! I didn't think about that.

Sigh...well, because Continental changed the DWS line, and don't yet make the DWS06 in our sizes, I may be off the road for a few weeks. I mean, I have a backup car, so no biggie.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
Remove the rear level control fuse to keep the compressor from firing up for now, can't imagine the car isn't driveable.

Edit: Or I can work on my reading comprehension skills - I see you're waiting for a replacement tire....

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
They may do it on other machines, but not ours.
I had already reached out to them... Maybe if more of us express interest, they might consider a batch?

Kim

Fri, 05/15/15 2:03 pm

Thank you for your interest in our air suspension products. I'm sorry but we do not have any parts available for the Cadillac STS.

·
Registered
2005 STS4 1SG
408 Posts
Sigh...well, because Continental changed the DWS line, and don't yet make the DWS06 in our sizes, I may be off the road for a few weeks. I mean, I have a backup car, so no biggie.
I blew a DWS and a wheel this winter. And I blew a DWS last year. I wonder if there's a pattern here.

But, what's this about a change to the DWS? I was able to order a single tire from tirerack about a month ago, and it looks just like the others.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Several of my coworkers got bubbles on those same tires, and I felt bad because I recommended them one had a blowout going up to Albany on the 87. When it was time for me to replace my pirellis due to dry rot and cracking I went with Goodyear excellent reviews and strong sidewall.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
Not to start a tire battle but I bought a set of General G-Maxx AS03 235/50/18's this spring and have been more than satisfied - Continental actually owns General so I trust the quality as I've had good experiences with two sets of DWS's - Just didn't have the budget available for another set this time around, and for the price (less than $600) I couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
Not to start a tire battle but I bought a set of General G-Maxx AS03 235/50/18's this spring and have been more than satisfied - Continental actually owns General so I trust the quality as I've had good experiences with two sets of DWS's - Just didn't have the budget available for another set this time around, and for the price (less than $600) I couldn't pass it up.
Next time I get tires i'm going back to the Generals again ... the DWS is just too soft on the sidewall and likely is why we are seeing issues with them.
My STS came with newish General G-Maxx AS03 tires when I bought it and they lasted about 25k - 30k of my spirited driving plus whatever miles were on them before me.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
215 Posts
Not to start a tire battle but I bought a set of General G-Maxx AS03 235/50/18's this spring and have been more than satisfied - Continental actuay clly owns General so I trust the quality as I've had good experiences with two sets of DWS's - Just didn't have the budget available for another set this time around, and for the price (less than $600) I couldn't pass it up.
Just put a set of Gmax's on my car as well which has 235/50/17's all around for $450 installed. I've been quite happy with them so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts