Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today I installed my newly acquired H.I.D.'s on my '98 Cadillac Seville STS. I purchased a "plug and play" kit for the headlights (9006) and my fog lights (880) that instructed me to plug the wire coming out of the ballast into the OEM bulb wire harness and then connect the H.I.D. bulb to the ballast. I connected everything and hit the switch, but nothing happened with the headlights (the fog lights worked fine.) I remember on my last car (which I had the kit professionally installed) I notice the guy reverse the polarity on the wire from the bulbs going into the ballast because the same thing happened, and after doing that, the lights turned on and worked fine on that car (a honda accord) ever since. So I flipped the wire over to switch the polarity on this kit and the lights operated like normal (like the honda). Now tonight I'm driving home from work and I notice that every time I turn on the turn signal light, the driver side headlight would go out and I would have to turn the lights off, then on again for it to ignite. The passenger side did that once too. What did I do wrong? Do you have any suggestions you can give my or maybe let me know if I have a bad kit so I can return it (bought it waaayyyy out of town).

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Eldorado Sport Coupe 4.6L Northstar "Y"
130 Posts
do you have this spliced into the turn signals instead of your headlamp? reason why i ask is im a little confused why you would engage your turn signal and a headlight from that same side would turn on. what color did you splice into? Double check your connections and report back pls :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
There is no splicing, the HID connectors connect straight into the headlamp connector (unplug the light bulb and plug it into the HID connector). There is NO mistake you can make except the polarity (the cast HID connector can accept the harness connector both ways).
Is just cheap aftermarket stuff...the turning signal draws a fairly significant amount of power.

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Eldorado Sport Coupe 4.6L Northstar "Y"
130 Posts
Is just cheap aftermarket stuff...the turning signal draws a fairly significant amount of power.
This is where i was confused. I have heard of people getting kits and where they actually had to "splice" into the harness which required to cut off the plug or whatever they have to do (or just make a male connector to plug into harness). Granted these are the cheapest of the cheap, but i have heard of these systems (from eBay). I just hope he doesnt have the same setup.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Some will recommend adding a relay, the power part of the relay goes straight to the battery and the control is the headlamp circuit. But I as an electronics engineer still don't getting, what exactly is wrong with the OEM setup witch is also a relay (same size) connected to the battery trough 1 fuse and one maxifuse. Probably that is the wire splicing you are talking about...NOT NEEDED EVER.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts