Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
00' sts
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i have an 00 sts and i want to eventually convert to an hid setup. id like to do the hi, low beams and the fog lights too. was wondering if anybody has done this and with what luck? let me know where i should be looking guys, thanks....

if this is in the wrong thread, i apologize

·
Registered
1991 Eldorado (Gone) ; 2001 Seville SLS (RIP) ; 2005 DeVille
228 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
h.i.d. means..... (excuse my ignorance)
What he mean's would technically be H.I.D. :tisk:

(H)igh (I)ntensity (D)ischarge.

In short, very bright lights. They are Xeonon filled bulbs that don't operate in the same fashion as regular bulbs. Thousands of volts are applied to the bulb, effectivly causing the gas to pretty much explode. This brings on a brilliant white light in most cases (approaching to that of the sun). There are colour options, though. The more colour, the less light.

-----------------------------------
EDIT: Ranger beat me too it. Bah

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
uh huh and that means lol?
better stronger bulbs?
i put silverstars in my ETC they are GREAT HUGE IMPROVMENT if thats whats ment

·
Registered
1991 Eldorado (Gone) ; 2001 Seville SLS (RIP) ; 2005 DeVille
228 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
uh huh and that means lol?
better stronger bulbs?
i put silverstars in my ETC they are GREAT HUGE IMPROVMENT if thats whats ment

Silverstars, from what I understand, are indeed a huge improvment over standard bulbs. HIDs are yet another step above, though.

Nothing can compare (Despite what some advertisments may say)

gust_1980 said:
hey, i have an 00 sts and i want to eventually convert to an hid setup. id like to do the hi, low beams and the fog lights too. was wondering if anybody has done this and with what luck? let me know where i should be looking guys, thanks....
if this is in the wrong thread, i apologize

Quite a few people have done aftermarket HID conversions. Do a search and you should find the information you are looking for.

The aftermarket realm just involves changing out your current bulbs with a special HID, then install a ballast nearby to supply the high voltage required. It is NOT advised you power them off your current wiring. It risks you burning out the wiring and even switch. Very expensive to fix.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
i never noticed them at auto zone or advanced lol silverstars were the best i could do. i wanted to do an angel eye conversion but they are illegal in pa

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
Dont think youll find them at your local auto parts store. But gust_1980.. Can I ask why you would want to convert your high beams? Do you use them that much? Could get pretty costly considering I believe they range for a decent pair $250+. Youd be looking at over $800 and have to find places to mount 6 ballast's. I wanted to do this to my 00' also. But with the way the cars been acting lately and my crappy extended warranty im just going to trade in and get an 02' or 03' with HID stock.

MacK

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
I'm also looking for HIDs for my SLS. I just want to do the lowbeams. I'm thinking around 8000k.

anyone have any reccomendations?

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
I installed a McCulloch 5300K kit in my Seville back in March. It was an easy plug and play kit. No cutting, splicing, or anything. Also no problems with the stock wiring. If you order a HID conversion kit (any brand), you will need bulbs with a 9006 base The cost was like $260.00 from Ebay (cheapest place to buy these kits). Before I installed the kit, I was running SilverStars. There is no comparison. The HID is much more light than the SS's. Also, all OEM's use 4300K for thier lights. This has been proven to be the optimal light output. Anything above 4300K, will produce less lumens, and more color. So, an 8000K kit, will have a purple tint to it, but not be as bright, as the 4300K.

Don

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Dadillac said:
I installed a McCulloch 5300K kit in my Seville back in March. It was an easy plug and play kit. No cutting, splicing, or anything. Also no problems with the stock wiring. If you order a HID conversion kit (any brand), you will need bulbs with a 9006 base The cost was like $260.00 from Ebay (cheapest place to buy these kits). Before I installed the kit, I was running SilverStars. There is no comparison. The HID is much more light than the SS's. Also, all OEM's use 4300K for thier lights. This has been proven to be the optimal light output. Anything above 4300K, will produce less lumens, and more color. So, an 8000K kit, will have a purple tint to it, but not be as bright, as the 4300K.

Don
I really like those McCulloch lights actually. They seem to be reasonably priced. You have any pictures of them "in action"?

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
No, no pics. I always thought that pics of headlight output was a little dumb. You really can't tell how good they work from looking at a picture. You are just going to have to trust me. The SilverStars are better than plain bulbs. HID's kick SS's ass. Plain and simple.

Don

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
It's really only practical to do the low beams. Having enough room for 6 ballasts is really tough, let alone two. It would also cost alot, and be expensive to install, unle3ss done yourself (like I did). If you decide to go the HID route, look for a setup using reputable parts like those made by Philips and have a seperate wiring harness for the ballasts. The most difficult part of the installation is where you put, and mount the two ballasts for each bulb.

gary88, 8000k bulbs won't provide the same level of light output that a 4300k-5000k set will.

$260 is on the cheaper end of the spectrum regarding HID aftermarket HID systems. The setup I'm using cost me $450. It was the nicest, most well engineered aftermarket setup I have yet to see though. McCulloch kit is nice, but it just seemed kinda chincy to me. Plenty of people here have it though and haven't had a single problem. If I were to do it again for the fog-lights or something, I'd probably go with McCulloch. The company I purchased it from is now using the new Philips Low-Profile ballasts which cost abotu the same, but are much thinner and smaller allowing for better placement and installation. They also included a very easy to install wiring harness with relay to connect to the battery to power the ballasts.

·
Registered
00' sts
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys for the response. can i find the philips and macollough ones on ebay or do they have seperate stores for these online?

oh, and youre right, i probably wouldnt do hi beams as somebody reminded me that they take a few seconds to warm up completely, but im still interested in doin the fog lights as well. thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Excuse me for my ignorance but how can angle eyes be ilegal.They are a standuard and stock item on late modle BMW's.(5 series,x5's,ect).

So what do these people do.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
what are angle eyes?

and forgive my ignorance here, but what stops you from just buying the entire stock HID headlight assembly for a later seville into an older seville? is it not just plug and play if you buy the entire headlight assembly? (putting all cost aside)

·
Registered
2006 dts,2000 sts,99 deville,
55 Posts
8000k hid kit on my 2000 sts ,its working good.Before that i tried 4300k and 6000k those lights output like a regular light bulbs.I have no ideal why???(may be the projector lens blocking some lights out.).But those 4300k and 6000k put on non projector headlight its working fine.Hope this can help you !

1 - 20 of 36 Posts