Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'06 STS V8 RWD - Black Raven/Cashmere - no ACC
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a STS within the next two days but still cannot decide whether to take Magnetic ride control or not...

I've been searchin threads in this forum about magnetic ride control.. Most posts I found are in SRX forum... some are in STS forum... anyways, Some are saying that car without Magnetic ride control is very soft.. Others are saying the opposite

i'm looking for a soft ride... We have lots of bumps in our roads.. I want a suspension that can absorb these shocks as much as it can... I used to have a Lexus ES300.. When I switch the suspension to comfort, I can hardly feel the bump.. I want something like this or better...

So which one is better for me: Magnetic Ride Control or Regular Air Suspension?

Please I want the answer today

one more minor thing... Can I change the regular 17" wheels in the V6 with 18" inch?.. Or is it not good for the car?

·
Banned
851 Posts
ascariSTS said:
I'm buying a STS within the next two days but still cannot decide whether to take Magnetic ride control or not...

I've been searchin threads in this forum about magnetic ride control.. Most posts I found are in SRX forum... some are in STS forum... anyways, Some are saying that car without Magnetic ride control is very soft.. Others are saying the opposite

i'm looking for a soft ride... We have lots of bumps in our roads.. I want a suspension that can absorb these shocks as much as it can... I used to have a Lexus ES300.. When I switch the suspension to comfort, I can hardly feel the bump.. I want something like this or better...

So which one is better for me: Magnetic Ride Control or Regular Air Suspension?

Please I want the answer today

one more minor thing... Can I change the regular 17" wheels in the V6 with 18" inch?.. Or is it not good for the car?
Hi ascariSTS,
the magnetic ride is a little stiffer than the regular but a lot better on hard cornering. I would say the the regular is for the roads you discribed the better way.
18 inch wheels are now on the V6 an option for $ 600 - these are 9 spoke.
Yes, they look much better than those 17`s. If you buy an 2005 STS there is no problem to put those 18`s on.

Harry

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can choose your settings between sport and comfort , so the magnetic ride control will fit both your options .
By the way , where are you going to drive your car ? Cadillac is a car that hates bumpy roads :thepan:

As for the wheels , I don't have the answer , but my advise is to go for the V8 , or better a V8 AWD , it is a real pleasure . :thumbsup:
Having a V6 STS is like wearing a fake Rolex :histeric: and if you are concerned about fuel consumption , there is no big difference

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Overall the magnetic ride control is more of a performance feature.
If you are not concerned about the car being able to really handle in the twisties or under hard driving conditions and your primary concern is smooth ride, you might stick with the conventional setup and leave the magnetic ride for a performance enthusiast. Even with selectable ride control you may not like it.
I agree that not many Cadis like the rough stuff.

Can't really say much about the 18s, but be sure to change the tire profile to maintain the proper diameter of the wheel to avoid other problems.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Coming from a Lexus, you'll HATE the ride with Magnetic Ride Control. I came out of a DeVille, and my STS ride by comparison is horrible. Its rough and noisy even with the MRC on the suppposed SOFT setting, part of it I contribute to the Michelin Pilot Sport tires which convey every pit in the pavement both physically and aurally. For the same money, why not just get an LS430, trust me you'll be much happier.

·
Registered
XLR
99 Posts
At first I had the V-6 and traded it for the V-8 with the magnetic ride control.
THERE IS A LOT OF DIFFERENCE!!! I LOVE the V-8.:yup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
rjm said:
For the same money, why not just get an LS430, trust me you'll be much happier.
:lies: Why should anyone trust you? You may prefer the LS430, but I drove both before I purchased my 1SG and I didn't care for it at all.

Boring & fugly!

·
Registered
117 Posts
rjm said:
Its rough and noisy even with the MRC on the suppposed SOFT setting, part of it I contribute to the Michelin Pilot Sport tires which convey every pit in the pavement both physically and aurally.
I thought the Pilot Sport tires were only available with the Performance package on the 1SG. Your profile shows you own a 1SF ... :hmm:

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Fred_Mac said:
:lies: Why should anyone trust you? You may prefer the LS430, but I drove both before I purchased my 1SG and I didn't care for it at all.

Boring & fugly!
That's were we differ, and based on the fact that he said he has an ES300 with the adjustable suspension and wants to maintain the same ride he won't do that with any STS, a DTS maybe but not an STS. Its all in your priorities and exactly what type of luxury car you desire. If ride and quiet are your top priorities, then the LS430 is tough to beat, BUT if you want any amount of handling or other sporting characteristics then NO you won't like the LS430, in fact you'll probably hate it.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Fred_Mac said:
I thought the Pilot Sport tires were only available with the Performance package on the 1SG. Your profile shows you own a 1SF ... :hmm:
I thought so as well, but mine has Michelin Pilot Sport MXM4s.

·
Registered
1981 Fleetwood, 1994 Fleetwood
129 Posts
The magnetic ride control is interesting, and better overall than the stock suspension system on the STS in extremes, but I still firmly believe ONE suspension setting is better than many. I may one day eat my words, but all the adjustable systems I have tried were not really as balanced as a very good non adjustable setup; STS4 that I have now included. Since you cannot change the bushings, and overall suspension geometry then basically your simply left with shock/strut valving tuning. And that is not a fix all to me.

·
Registered
'06 STS V8 RWD - Black Raven/Cashmere - no ACC
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hmmmm... hard to decide... Really hard to decide... "little stiffer" I don't know...

I think I better get a test drive... However, the agency told me they only have STS with MRC as a test drive.. they don't have one without it... But they have a CTS...

So, Is CTS suspension similar to STS without MRC?...

another question.. maybe it's a stupid question but... how about Magnetic ride control in the long term?.. Do you think it might become worse (stiffer) ?

and btw... I hate lexus... feelless car... not sporty at all... I get bored quickly.. even the new LS and GS... iky iky

·
Registered
06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra
516 Posts
Well my useless 2-cents also says to find another dealer and get a comparison test drive if you are really concerned.

The one thing that always gets me about these ride discussions is that everyone lives in different geographic areas (sometimes continents) with varying road surface materials and driving conditions.

I personally like the MRC on mine and spend 90% of my miles on SoCal freeways which are heavily based on concrete and not asphalt. In mountain asphalt driving I found the MRC & ZF Steering stiff enough, responsive and with adequate road feel but definitely not what you would expect with a sport coupe per se. As always YMMV and you might even rent a STS without MRC and then drive an equipped one from a lot.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Cajonkev said:
Well my useless 2-cents also says to find another dealer and get a comparison test drive if you are really concerned.

The one thing that always gets me about these ride discussions is that everyone lives in different geographic areas (sometimes continents) with varying road surface materials and driving conditions.

I personally like the MRC on mine and spend 90% of my miles on SoCal freeways which are heavily based on concrete and not asphalt. In mountain asphalt driving I found the MRC & ZF Steering stiff enough, responsive and with adequate road feel but definitely not what you would expect with a sport coupe per se. As always YMMV and you might even rent a STS without MRC and then drive an equipped one from a lot.
Well said. My test drives both consisted of 4-lane divided highways and interstates but my daily commute is exclusively on city streets where I rarely exceed 50 mph. If I had driven my STS on my daily route before purchasing, I would have never bought it IMHO the ride is too firm for my type of daily driving.

·
Registered
None
198 Posts
I have the 2006 1SG with MRC, which I just traded in a 2005 V6 non MRC for. I personally notice a difference in that the MRC offers a much more soft and absorbing suspension (set on touring) than the no MRC on ths V6. Keep in mind too that I live in MIchigan and we have the worst roads in the world! Anyway, I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I must way in on this. I purchased an 05' STS v8 base model. It does not even have automatic load leveling. Make sure your car does. And the rear end fish tails so easily in the wet that I strongly recommend the 4 wheel drive option.

For the record my model has 235/50 series Michelin Energy front and rear. The tires are P speed rated (only up to 112mph)! The car is actually limited to 108mph! What is this car a Tahoe. Alas ,you can defeat it by holding down the traction control for 5 seconds but what's the point with those tires. These were things I did not think about when I purchased the car.

As far as the Magnetic ride control, the magazines said it was overkill, but I would not get the car without it. The regular springs bottom out and bounce in real world broken pavement driving with 1 or 2 rear occupants.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Harry Is Wrong About The 18" Wheels. The Rear Differential Is Different On The 18" Wheel Model. The Tire Circumference Is Smaller On The 17" Wheels. Thus The Huge And Ugly Space Around The Wheelwells. Careful Ascarists!

You could put 18" wheels on it but you would be stuck with the same tire circumference as the 17" So you'd have to use lower profile tires. They're already 50 series. Don't let uninformed salesmen mislead you.

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
Alright, here we go, first of all if you switch from 17" wheels to 18" wheels you will have a lower profile tire in the deal. Less air between you and the road means more road feel and more road noise and an overall less comfortable ride. You suffer through this for better performance. If you do this (switch to 18") with the MRC the shocks will sense the added movement and adjust the ride to compensate for the harsher tire/wheel setup. If you make the switch on a standard setup the car will ride much harsher than it was designed to. Furthermore, the 18" wheels and tires will more than likely weigh more than the 17" setup and cause the shocks to work harder to control the motion of the added weight. This too will cause for a less comfortable ride.
In my opinion, your best setup for what you describe is to keep the 17" wheels and take the MRC to control things a bit. I live in Michigan, the land of winter beaten roads, and find that our 06 STS V8 AWD with 17" wheels and MRC soaks up the roads a bit better than the V6 with 17" wheels and no MRC that I test drove for about 35 miles. Also, when you decide to get a bit more aggresive the MRC keeps the car ride much more stable than the standard setup.

Mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts