Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'06 CTS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so about a month ago I bought a 2006 CTS with the LY7 3.6L. One owner, 93,000 miles, lots of regular oil changes and maintenance at the dealer which all seemed good. I researched online about the car before buying but that was mostly on ride and such. Full disclosure, I'm probably an idiot cuz I didn't google CTS problems and I didn't google oil consumption until I was half way to Florida (from Michigan) and discovered I was using oil at a rate just slightly greater than the Exxon Valdez. I was watching oil use because the car was new to me and being 9 years old (the car, not me) and with close to 100,000 miles I wanted to be safe which apparently is a real good thing or I would probably be sitting along side the highway somewhere wondering why my engine blew . Just got home tonight from a 3,300 mile round trip and used 4 quarts of oil which if my math serves me is sub-optimal even considering Cadillac's 1 quart in 2,000 miles rule for normal usage. So after reading the approximately 1 million threads on here regarding oil consumption, I'm still not sure if the high consumption people complain about is caused by blowing past the rings or being sucked up by the PCV value. I'm not a mechanic and have never even played one on TV so although I get the gist of what those mean I don't have a opinion either way as too cause. What I do know is that I keep putting oil in and it keeps disappearing. The PCV value seems like a quick and easy check to see if changing that impacts oil usage. The rings on the other hand I know are not quick, easy or inexpensive to replace. Just as an aside, I didn't notice the oil usage until I took it out on long highway trips. Even in Florida, I drove a couple hundred miles on back roads in slower more stop and go fashion and it didn't seem to use any oil then.

So here is my question: should I really care? I can try a new PCV valve and if that doesn't fix it should I just keep putting in oil when needed and go on my happy way? I love the car, its quiet and comfortable and I really enjoy the engine (drinking habits aside) and handling but I paid $8,000 for the car and don't want to put that amount again into it in an attempt to fix it (read on here one guy who claimed to put a new engine in and still had the oil consumption issue, yikes). How long before the engine goes if I just keep adding oil? I really will only use this as a road trip car (not a daily driver) and will probably put less than 8,000 miles a year on it. If I got 4-5 years out of it for the money I would be happy but if its going to blow in the next 6 months then I may have to rethink. How much am I compromising reliability if it is my road trip car? Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Fredster65

·
Registered
2007 cts base 3.6
7 Posts
3.6 oil consumption....
My 2007 cts 3.6 purchased 9/01/14 with 82,000 mi. started using oil at 1 qt. every 800 mi.. I changed oil because car dealerships usually change oil, when they get a used car in on trade with cheapest oil they can find. I changed my with 5/30 mobil one and oil consumption went to 1qt every 2,000 mi.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L - Black/Black
129 Posts
My 2006 2.8L has been using about 1 qt every 700-1200miles since it turned 50k miles. Car now has 216k on original engine. Timing chain replaced at 118k (not due to failure but as preventative measure while they were in there due to timing cover oil leak). Just make sure you change the oil (i go about 5-7k max between changes on mobile 1) and keep it topped off.

·
Registered
629 Posts
fredster65 said:
OK, so about a month ago I bought a 2006 CTS with the LY7 3.6L. One owner, 93,000 miles, lots of regular oil changes and maintenance at the dealer which all seemed good. I researched online about the car before buying but that was mostly on ride and such. Full disclosure, I'm probably an idiot cuz I didn't google CTS problems and I didn't google oil consumption until I was half way to Florida (from Michigan) and discovered I was using oil at a rate just slightly greater than the Exxon Valdez. I was watching oil use because the car was new to me and being 9 years old (the car, not me) and with close to 100,000 miles I wanted to be safe which apparently is a real good thing or I would probably be sitting along side the highway somewhere wondering why my engine blew . Just got home tonight from a 3,300 mile round trip and used 4 quarts of oil which if my math serves me is sub-optimal even considering Cadillac's 1 quart in 2,000 miles rule for normal usage. So after reading the approximately 1 million threads on here regarding oil consumption, I'm still not sure if the high consumption people complain about is caused by blowing past the rings or being sucked up by the PCV value. I'm not a mechanic and have never even played one on TV so although I get the gist of what those mean I don't have a opinion either way as too cause. What I do know is that I keep putting oil in and it keeps disappearing. The PCV value seems like a quick and easy check to see if changing that impacts oil usage. The rings on the other hand I know are not quick, easy or inexpensive to replace. Just as an aside, I didn't notice the oil usage until I took it out on long highway trips. Even in Florida, I drove a couple hundred miles on back roads in slower more stop and go fashion and it didn't seem to use any oil then. So here is my question: should I really care? I can try a new PCV valve and if that doesn't fix it should I just keep putting in oil when needed and go on my happy way? I love the car, its quiet and comfortable and I really enjoy the engine (drinking habits aside) and handling but I paid $8,000 for the car and don't want to put that amount again into it in an attempt to fix it (read on here one guy who claimed to put a new engine in and still had the oil consumption issue, yikes). How long before the engine goes if I just keep adding oil? I really will only use this as a road trip car (not a daily driver) and will probably put less than 8,000 miles a year on it. If I got 4-5 years out of it for the money I would be happy but if its going to blow in the next 6 months then I may have to rethink. How much am I compromising reliability if it is my road trip car? Any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks, Fredster65
A new pcv won't change anything. Ours is constantly open, traditional pcvs open and close. So unless it's clogged (which is highly unlikely) it won't ever go bad. Now you can do the drill mod; 7/64 drill on the two top holes. I'm sure you have read about that on here. I don't think your loosing as much oil through the pcv as you are the piston rings. A good engine cleaner could help. You're rings could not be seating properly because of built up sludge inside the motor. Sludge will build up regardless of how often oil changes are done. Now especially at 100k marker it could really make a big difference if it's never been done before. I use a product by heartland it's there heavy duty cleaner. I do it for a few vehicles and every time I add new oil it's so clean it's hard to see on the dipstick. It's 4 quarts so you need to add either two quarts of new oil, or new trans fluid. I like using trans fluid because it's loaded with detergents and works really well with the cleaner. Many moons ago I worked at Uncle Ed's oil change and we charged 100 for this product alone. Lol rollseyes;: these guys sell it for a fraction of the price. http://www.z1motorsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=2476

·
Registered
2007 CTS Sport 3.6
256 Posts
To be honest, I would recommend against the drill mod. These motors suck enough oil through the smaller holes in the orifice, and everyone elarging them will just allow more to get sucked out. I suggest removing the orifice and giving it a god cleaning, after that install a good catch can or do what I did and install a craftsman air water separator, does the same job if not better than a catch can.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 1992 coupe deville
4 Posts
I have the same problem and just check oil regulary and add some when I need to between oil changes . Some thing that helped my consumption slightly but might no be for every one was a half bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer at change time just helped slightly

·
Registered
629 Posts
SuperDaveSTS said:
To be honest, I would recommend against the drill mod. These motors suck enough oil through the smaller holes in the orifice, and everyone elarging them will just allow more to get sucked out. I suggest removing the orifice and giving it a god cleaning, after that install a good catch can or do what I did and install a craftsman air water separator, does the same job if not better than a catch can.
The theory behind the mod is not that more oil is sucked through the holes but more air, it would make the air less turbulent traveling through the system leaving more time for the oil to settle in the crankcase while only pulling the corrosive gasses though the actual orifice before traveling back into either the combustion chamber or a catch can.

·
Registered
2007 CTS Sport 3.6
256 Posts
The theory behind the mod is not that more oil is sucked through the holes but more air, it would make the air less turbulent traveling through the system leaving more time for the oil to settle in the crankcase while only pulling the corrosive gasses though the actual orifice before traveling back into either the combustion chamber or a catch can.
That makes sense, but it does leave the chance of more oil getting sucked into the intake, I'd feel better just cleaning it really good and setting up an efficient catch can system.

·
Registered
629 Posts
SuperDaveSTS said:
That makes sense, but it does leave the chance of more oil getting sucked into the intake, I'd feel better just cleaning it really good and setting up an efficient catch can system.
To be honest I had a catch can on before I did the drill mod, and didn't notice too much of a difference after I did it. But yes a catch can would be the best option.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6MT
406 Posts
I don't think there's any sort of miracle cure for this. I've tried the drill mod (for years), an RX catch can (for almost a year), 0W40 oil (for months), and nothing seems to work wonders. Improvements are slight or nonexistent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts