6,397 Posts
^ that was an insult to the 442.
4 cylinders
4 O-H cams
2 exhaust tips
is not a 442

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 (Venus) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
Wrong order; front to back:
  1. Chevrolet Celebrity
  2. Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
  3. Buick Century
  4. Pontiac 6000

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
:yeah: you beat me to it

i was going to say A-bodies around 1988
Magazine date says August 22, 1983. These would've been 1984 MY. Kind of funny how you thought MY 1988, as GM let these things go unchanged for 7 years before redoing them in 1989 and letting them go another 8 years before killing them.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
^you're right. the first car has the wrong taillights to be a pontiac. some idiot put pontiac rims on the celebrity

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Those aren't Pontiac rims. Those sport hubcaps were offered on the Celebrities and Caprices throughout the '80s.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I know everyone loves to rip on GM for badge engineering. But it worked pretty well for them in the 80s. Olds, Pontiac, and Buick all had their share of loyalists. And what's wrong with spreading research costs over several cars?

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Nothing, as long as you do sufficient work to distinguish the cars from one another. When you end up with identical quadruplets, that's a big problem because it begs the question of why you need so many marques to sell the exact same car. Hence why Pontiac and Oldsmobile are rusting in their graves as we speak.

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know everyone loves to rip on GM for badge engineering. But it worked pretty well for them in the 80s. Olds, Pontiac, and Buick all had their share of loyalists. And what's wrong with spreading research costs over several cars?
It didn't really work. GM's market share fell from 50% to 35% during that decade, and by 1992 the company was facing bankruptcy.

The brands existed to cater to customers with different preferences for styling, ride, handling, and luxury. As these characteristics were diluted, brand loyalty disappeared. Oldsmobile loyalists in particular bought Oldsmobile, not GM. Pontiac and Chevy customers tended to cross shop back and forth.

Its a bit silly for a business to justify four management structures, four dealer networks, four engineering teams, and four marketing campaigns for four cars that are pretty identical. The brands even had their own office buildings.

Eventually, GM realized its mistake and went back to differentiating its brands, which I'd say they did quite well with the W-body. Unfortunately, by the time they reversed the error their market share was spiraling toward 20%. It costs more to develop four distinct cars for four distinct brands, and without the volume to justify the costs and with once-loyal customers buying Toyotas, several brands had to die.

So, GM finally said RIP to Saab, Hummer, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Saturn. Its kind of odd that Vauxhall coexists alongside Opel in a unified Europe.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts