Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm shopping and finally got to take one out on a quiet road. This one had some work done to the exhaust system, new rims, tint, etc. Sticker said it added up to an extra $6K but they were "throwing it in" I guess just to move cars. Anyway, at about 30 mph I put it to the floor. Man, that thing just launched.........burned rubber when it shifted and I was at nearly 100mph in a quarter mile.........had to shut it down. These things are scary fast, just like the old days, only better. Average ownership age is mid '50s to mid '60s. Guess there are more old "gearheads" like me out there with the "itch" again. If you get the chance, go test drive one. You won't look back...........now for the color selection.

JET

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
JET needs to look up Miscreant. He bagged on us for a GTO. The GTO is about a 100lbs lighter than the V and cost a lot less. Motortrend Magazine does a comparison between the two. The V guys talk about it in their Forum.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've spoken with him Robert over at the GTO forums. He still visits here from time to time and I guess I can too as long as I own a CTS...........no? Or do I need your permission canaveral??

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I guess it all comes down to what you plan to do with the car. The GTO, being a 2 door, has a bit less funtionality to it, and you can only scare the s*** out of 1 or two friends at a time. The V on the other hand, you can scare the s*** out of 4 or 5 friends at a time, or put car seats in the back if thats your place in life. Personally, I like the look of the V more than the GTO, but they both have the appeal of being damn fast cars without being too flashy.

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
J.E.T. said:
I've spoken with him Robert over at the GTO forums. He still visits here from time to time and I guess I can too as long as I own a CTS...........no? Or do I need your permission canaveral??
I can only imagine what Miscreant has done to his Goat. I bet he's pissed that they now have 400hp. His only had 350hp..but know him he too may have 400hp. Yep, you'll need to get a hall pass from Canaveral to visit the Forum.

Have you pulled the trigger yet(Ordered)?

·
Registered
756 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
I guess it all comes down to what you plan to do with the car. The GTO, being a 2 door, has a bit less funtionality to it, and you can only scare the s*** out of 1 or two friends at a time. The V on the other hand, you can scare the s*** out of 4 or 5 friends at a time, or put car seats in the back if thats your place in life. Personally, I like the look of the V more than the GTO,..........
Yeah, me too

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also like the looks of the V but my wife refuses to learn to drive a manual transmission and I really don't care to mess with one in heavy traffic all the time. The Goat seats four very nicely. You would be amazed, I know I was. I don't like a two door car though, had two Monte SS's over the past three years so I'm used to the hassle. Trunk space is another thing the Goat REALLY comes up short on but the CTS is not really much better, especially with the sub box hanging down a bit. Personally I just like pure raw horsepower and the LS2 really comes through in that department. The first place I went to directed me to a custom shop nearby who (he said) could pump the horses up to 600 very easily. 400 is more than enough but maybe an extra 100 horse wouldn't hurt........

JET

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
J.E.T. said:
I also like the looks of the V but my wife refuses to learn to drive a manual transmission and I really don't care to mess with one in heavy traffic all the time. The Goat seats four very nicely. You would be amazed, I know I was. I don't like a two door car though, had two Monte SS's over the past three years so I'm used to the hassle. Trunk space is another thing the Goat REALLY comes up short on but the CTS is not really much better, especially with the sub box hanging down a bit. Personally I just like pure raw horsepower and the LS2 really comes through in that department. The first place I went to directed me to a custom shop nearby who (he said) could pump the horses up to 600 very easily. 400 is more than enough but maybe an extra 100 horse wouldn't hurt........
JET
You can get the 4 speed hydramatic in the Goat.:)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You betcha Robert.........looks like it's gonna be a silver one with chromed over factory wheels. After all the problems I had with aftermarket stuff and the STS wheels/tires I'm gonne play it smart and stay factory all the way. Just talked to the dealership here locally. They have (9) of them on their lot. Today's the last day for the so-called "employee discount" offer so I guess I have to write a big check.

JET

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
J.E.T. said:
You betcha Robert.........looks like it's gonna be a silver one with chromed over factory wheels. After all the problems I had with aftermarket stuff and the STS wheels/tires I'm gonne play it smart and stay factory all the way. Just talked to the dealership here locally. They have (9) of them on their lot. Today's the last day for the so-called "employee discount" offer so I guess I have to write a big check.
JET
HYDRAMATIC OR MANUAL?

My wife needs my car from time to time so an auto is a must for me. It was the clincher when looking at the CTS-V. I still think Cadillac is making a mistake in not offering the auto in the V. Maybe after they see a number of GTOs being built with them. You must visit from time to time. Remember to get your pass from canaveral:highfive:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just confirmed the order........silver/auto. Picking it up at 7 tonight, man I'm stoked!!

JET

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
J.E.T. said:
I also like the looks of the V but my wife refuses to learn to drive a manual transmissionJET
Then dont let her drive it!

J.E.T. said:
Just confirmed the order........silver/auto. Picking it up at 7 tonight
Too late I guess....

·
Registered
543 Posts
J.E.T. said:
Just confirmed the order........silver/auto. Picking it up at 7 tonight, man I'm stoked!!

JET
Congratulations on the new ride. I test drove a GTO about 12 months ago, great car but I couldn't get past the lousy gas mileage.

If they add the six-speed auto like the LS2 corvette is getting in 06 should get beyond the guzzler tax.

·
Registered
987 Posts
J.E.T. said:
Today's the last day for the so-called "employee discount" offer so I guess I have to write a big check.
JET
I thought the 05 GTO wasn't included in the Employee discount pricing, like the vette (but it's funny that the CTS-V was included! lol)

There was an 05' black XLR on my caddy dealer lot.. with employee discount it was almost 8 grand less.... how could you ignore that price! wow!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well she's sitting in the driveway..........wrote 'em a check for $33,760 and drove it off the lot. Man, this car is the best thing I've driven in over 30 years. Fast, GREAT stereo system, and super construction. Makes the CTS seem like a lumber wagon. Gotta hand to the Aussies, they build a quality automobile. I'll visit here from time to time just to aggravate the few "die hards" who can't see the forest for the trees. Maybe one day y'all will wake up and buy a GOOD car...........LOL!!

JET

·
Registered
987 Posts
J.E.T. said:
Well she's sitting in the driveway..........wrote 'em a check for $33,760 and drove it off the lot. Man, this car is the best thing I've driven in over 30 years. Fast, GREAT stereo system, and super construction. Makes the CTS seem like a lumber wagon. Gotta hand to the Aussies, they build a quality automobile. I'll visit here from time to time just to aggravate the few "die hards" who can't see the forest for the trees. Maybe one day y'all will wake up and buy a GOOD car...........LOL!!
JET
Hahaha, most of your problems were quality related, you have yet to test that. Plus the cars are two different classes. One is a V6 Sport Luxury Sedan, the other a V8 Muscle Coupe, I wouldn't compare the CTS to the GTO. But maybe the CTS-V to the GTO, which the GTO has it on price.

I hope you enjoy the new car, (my roomate is obsessed with them), If you have any technical issues with it, come back and let us know ok? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
AsAkAs said:
I hope you enjoy the new car, (my roomate is obsessed with them), If you have any technical issues with it, come back and let us know ok? :thumbsup:
I guess he will have to find a GTO forum so that when he gets his first problem he has a new place to vent his problems and let all the GTO owners know about them. The GTO is a nice car if you dont have a family and you like a 2 door look. I have a 2yr old and another on the way so my 4 Door CTS is perfect. If they come out with an auto CTS-V and the new 07/08 design is nice that will probably be my next car.

·
Registered
453 Posts
RobertCTS said:
You can get the 4 speed hydramatic in the Goat.:)
Almost seems backwards, doesn't it? The 4-door "family car" only comes with a stick, but the 2-door muscle car can have a slushbox.

If they sold GTOs up here, I'd undoubtedly have one in my garage. It's too bad there may not be an immediate replacement for the Goat when this chassis is done in a couple of years.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
14 Participants
J.E.T.