Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update. It was the aftermarket coils. The codes went away after I put my factory coils back in. The aftermarket coils will operate but the ecm does not recognize the signal. For future coil swappers: THE FACTORY BOSCH /ACDELCO IGNITION COILS MUST BE USED FOR REPLACEMENT OR THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WILL ILLUMINATE DUE TO SECONDARY COIL VOLTAGE BEING OUT OF ACCEPTABLE PARAMETERS.
I drove it for a few days with no CEL. Then I put a couple of aftermarket coils in just to see what would happen. I got a CEL. Thats what i learned. Have to use factory ignition coil or you will get a CEL. Even if the car runs fine. Just use stock.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
482 Posts
This is something we have all dealt with, I assure you. In some cars you can throw whatever you want in there, but ours are far more sensitive and pretty much require quality parts (especially where electronics are concerned).

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6
37 Posts
Update. It was the aftermarket coils. The codes went away after I put my factory coils back in. The aftermarket coils will operate but the ecm does not recognize the signal. For future coil swappers: THE FACTORY BOSCH /ACDELCO IGNITION COILS MUST BE USED FOR REPLACEMENT OR THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WILL ILLUMINATE DUE TO SECONDARY COIL VOLTAGE BEING OUT OF ACCEPTABLE PARAMETERS.
I drove it for a few days with no CEL. Then I put a couple of aftermarket coils in just to see what would happen. I got a CEL. Thats what i learned. Have to use factory ignition coil or you will get a CEL. Even if the car runs fine. Just use stock.

Had the same issue when I replaced with cheap ebay coils. They worked, but constantly got codes popping up. OEM solved the issue.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts