Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ground Control just completed a coil-over kit for the CTS-V. I've been working with them and i have a prototype on my car.

Here is the thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60824

If someone can educate me on the CTS shocks, i will work with GC to see if they can come up with a kit for the CTS.

Is the diameter of the front shock the same on CTS and CTS-V? Or what is the diameter of the front CTS shock?

I believe the nivomat top mount for the CTS is different from the CTS-V mount. How are you guys defeating (fooling) the load leveling on the CTS? Pete's solution??

·
Registered
2005 & 2008 CTS
1,362 Posts
I can't help with the shock diameter but I know the V springs are stiffer than the regular CTS so softer springs would probably be a good idea. I know the spring are rated at front end weight and rear end weight but I don't know the weight difference between a CTS and a V. Good luck, this should be interesting to see when complete.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The front FE3 shock is (~1/4") skinnier than the FE4 on the V. The lower shock mount is also welded on, unlike the FE4's which is a separate piece located with a C-clip.

The rears look almost identical, except for the upper mount. The V upper mount disassembles to the tube, the 1" spacer, and the upper mount. The CTS nivomat is all one piece molded together. The only way to lower a CTS with Nivomats, is to switch to the FE4 rears (or more correctly, the FE4 upper mount, which is not available separately), or to downgrade to the non-load leveling sport shock.

The CTS shocks are completely interchangeble with the V shocks (FE4's), but not identical. The GC solution is very nice, but won't work with CTS shocks unfortunately.

For the CTS, the Eibachs are rated just under the stock V rate of 400 lbs/in. Since the CTS is about 10% lighter than a V (3509 lbs for the manual trans, vs. 3890 lbs for the V), this equates to roughly the same stiffness as a 440lb/in spring on the V. The Eibachs on the CTS also only drop 1.2", which puts the ride height right around 26 3/4" in front and about 27.2" rear with the WildWhl nivomat mod. I shimmed my fronts (converted to FE4s all around) up 7 mm for a ride height of about 27" front, 27.2" rear.

First pic is of rear FE4 with WW mod on left, stock FE3 (not modifyable) on right. Second is FE4 mounted, FE4 bare, and FE3 on bottom (noticibly smaller).

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info odysseus...

Do you know the spring rate for the stock CTS springs (is it different for the models?)

For the rear shocks: GC is going to make their own upper mount...(to allow more of a drop than WW's mod)... Are you saying the the CTS nivo's do come apart, but as tube and then one welded together piece? If so, the GC upper mount may work.

For the front shocks, GC was originally going to put a 'threaded cap' on the top of the V shock (and leave the stock perch in place) until they discovered the c-clip, removable perch... the threaded cap may work for the CTS shock... but then the spring length would be much shorter... and they will probably require a car inhouse...

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
I don't recall the spring rates of the stock CTS, but they are softer (likely ~25% less to match the shock damping rates). On the front struts, an upper adjustable collar may work, keeping in mind that they likely won't work on the V, then, since they are different diameters. The rear shock dimensions are identical, and only differ in damping rates and the upper mount construction.

The FE3 nivomat looks identical to the FE4, once the plastic upper tube/top pillow mount is removed. This is a picture of the FE4 disassembled. On the FE3, everything on the top of the picture is molded as one piece and doesn't come apart (as in the right side of the first pic in post #3). Besides a new top mount, if they also duplicated the internal bump stop and FE4 plastic outer tube, they'd be golden.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
I have a set of stock CTS springs and shocks (non self leveling) I could donate if Ground Control hooks me up with a set of the coil overs. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts