Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Banned
340 Posts
FWIW I sell $1500.00 Triple adjustable Penske shocks to AMA motorcycle racers. I've noticed many of the optional springs from Penske have Eibach printed on them. They make great springs!

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Oh yeah!!!! Eibach race springs are very good, and MANY spring manufacturers actually buy their springs from Eibach, so no worries there.
And should someone choose to run different springs than the Eibach's, there's a ton of offerings out there.
-ace

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, I'm definitely in for a G.B. too!

Sounds like a good kit. I'm just wondering how its going to feel on the rougher roads of Los Angeles... :banghead:

Ladis

·
Banned
340 Posts
L.Sanchez said:
Well, I'm definitely in for a G.B. too!

Sounds like a good kit. I'm just wondering how its going to feel on the rougher roads of Los Angeles... :banghead:

Ladis
If you live in L.A. its only going to feel rougher outside the car. Sorry I could'nt resist.

Aaron

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Update: Spent the day playing with ride height and testing the handling thanks to some dry weather.

Spring Rate revisted:
Well either I screwed up, or GC screwed up when we were talking... I have 500lbs fronts and 550lb rears (not 450 rears as I thought)... This make a LOT more sense...

Handling:
Handling is perfect... Feels very balanced, exactly like the stock setup...if anything, understeers just a hair less than stock. And the butt-G-meter says car sticks *much* better than stock... I was scaring myself on my usual 'test course' and the tires still weren't squealling. I was definitely taking the turns faster than with the stock setup, before the tires broke-away. Break-away is still very progressive and predicable...no drama. Though higher spring rates (w/FG2) may make break-away more sudden. Sorry, no empirical data like X mph vs. Y mph on the same turn... 1.15G's routinely on freeway on-ramps if that helps anyone. The improvement in stick is very noticeable.

Ride Height:
Over the last few days, the rear springs had settled somewhat so the rear was at 26 1/2" and something was rubbing at this height (1.25" drop from stock)... so I raised the rear.
Adjusting height is VERY easy: Raise car, remove wheels, loosed hex bolt which secures the spring perch, use GC supplied wrench to turn spring perch, retighten hex bolt. 1 full turn of the perch lowers/raises the car exactly 1/8".
I tried a few different heights... but am back to 26 7/8" all the way around.

Issues:
Noise... I have ~700 miles now on all kinds of roads... there is one combo which is definitely noisy... under 25mph, on very rough pavement (potholes, construction zones, etc.)... you get a 'thunking' for all the corners as the wheels hit the bumps... it's about half as loud as my diff clunk (that's the best I can describe it in text). Noise comes thru the car; with the windows down, you down hear it from the outside... i'm guessing this is the urethane mounts which replaced the rubber. No noise at all above this speed, nor on the freeway (even on rough expansion joints). I'll talk to GC about this. Personally, i'm ok with the noise... the improvement in handling more than makes up for it... but YMMV.
Front bump stop... is too long. On the really hard corners, I can feel the front hitting the bump stop... GC needs to go with a shorter bumpstop.

Pics: (yes, i love to take pictures... :))

Rear spring, definitely 550lbs (last #)

Front spring, 500lbs.

Ride height adjustment... that about covers it...

GC wrench sitting on perch

Just a shot of my pretty little springs :D

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Again, pretty article.:D

Dreamin, thanks for being the guinea pig. It feels good that you've undertaken this task. Mostly because from the sound of it, you're really evaluating the equipment. That helps GC, yourself, and us have a quality product at the end.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Dreamin,
Whew....for a while there I couldn't figure out the mechanics of the spring rates. Great write-up, great pics. The springs should settle out very soon, if they haven't already. Keep it up, can't wait to hear about a track day!!!
-ace

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
Dreamin said:
Issues:
Noise... I have ~700 miles now on all kinds of roads... there is one combo which is definitely noisy... under 25mph, on very rough pavement (potholes, construction zones, etc.)... you get a 'thunking' for all the corners as the wheels hit the bumps... it's about half as loud as my diff clunk (that's the best I can describe it in text). Noise comes thru the car; with the windows down, you down hear it from the outside... I'll talk to GC about this.
Dreamin, once again, well done on the reporting and work invested in this project! Please keep us posted on the outcome of what you stated above. This is a bit concerning to me.

-MB

·
Registered
CTS-V
104 Posts
My wife's gonna shoot me! Within weeks of buying ANYTHING I simply MUST lower it, and now that I've got my V, and all the aggravating trial and error seems to be done, where do I sign up for the group buy?

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Issues:
Noise... I have ~700 miles now on all kinds of roads... there is one combo which is definitely noisy... under 25mph, on very rough pavement (potholes, construction zones, etc.)... you get a 'thunking' for all the corners as the wheels hit the bumps... it's about half as loud as my diff clunk (that's the best I can describe it in text). Noise comes thru the car; with the windows down, you down hear it from the outside... I'll talk to GC about this.
UPDATE: I'm taking the car in to GC on Tuesday 1/3 for them to look at the noise issue... they say the springs should not be making noise.

This will push availablity date for the kit to: 1/9/06 :hide:

And WW is going to be prototype kit #2 tester and work w/GC on FG2 spring rates.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Fantastic news that the FG2s are going to be tested but.... I hate to be a downer, but WW has a maggie...and extra weight on the front, not ideal for testing IMHO. Also, you're running 275s in the rear,Dreamin...is WW? That also throws the "balance" off for those running stock sized tires. Someone who runs 275s in the rear and has perfect balance with a certain set-up may experience oversteer running 245s with the same spring/height combo. ***Should someone add the Hotchkis Sway Bars to your combo, and run 245s, oversteer may be too much (due to the bars favoring stiffer rear increase). Of course there's going to be a learning time for us to figure out what rates/heights will work for different uses, time will tell what the "sweet" set-ups are going to be.

Now I think that your set-up may just be perfect...level chassis, wider rear tires, and proper spring rates....I just have doubts that the spring/height combo will provide the balance on...say...my V.
If you would, please ask Jay or Doug what they think the difference/if any would be for a stock-tire'd V would be.
Thanks,
ace

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Ace -

I'll try out the stock size all around F1's, GSD3's with widened rears, and of course my winter tires that are on now (245/45/18 Dunlop M3's). I do have the Hotchkiss bars - and so should you ;)

As to tha added weight of the Maggie - well - I'm sure the holes in the front rotors save at least the 60 lbs or so the Maggie adds :histeric:

Sorry, not much I can do about the weight differential, but I'll give it my best to help GC dial these things in. I do have additional weight in the rear, too (sub, amp, dynomat and the wider rims/tires weigh a bit more).

Thanks again Dreamin. Now I just need to coordinate the maggie rebuild/maintenance downtime with the install of this kit (should probably ship the maggie out tomorrow if I'm smart).

WW

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Nice, Bill, just what I wanted to hear. Yeah, the Hotchkis Bars...my wife is gonna kill me. I hope to scrounge away as much as possible before autox season...gotta open a can on the Bimmers!

I'm currious as to what the differences will be with the added up-front weight, but with the equipment in the rear...perhaps no big deal. Good luck, and don't be easy on them.
-ace

41 - 60 of 101 Posts