Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Cadillac DeVille Concours. When I crank it up, put it in drive and accelerate it makes a brief grinding sound and then goes away and never comes back while I'm driving. However when I turn the car off, crank it up and accelerate again it happens all over again, how crazy is that? Which direction should I be going with this fellows?

·
Registered
96 FWB
353 Posts
EVERY time just starting the engine - whether cold or hot?

Pointed uphill, down, level all the same?

Never replicated when gunning in neutral?

You've obviously tried stnding outside to trace while someone else at the wheel, right?

Until some degree of added symptoms - conditions - exceptions Ima go with loose flexplate TC bolt(s).

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,714 Posts
Interesting.
I've got a '95 Eldo that makes a sharp whine once started and driven 10-20 feet. Lasts two seconds.
I'm assuming it's coming from the transaxle.
No disruption in power or other physical issues.
Has done it for years; every start-up.
I've gotten to ignore it, but...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EVERY time just starting the engine - whether cold or hot?

Pointed uphill, down, level all the same?

Never replicated when gunning in neutral?

You've obviously tried stnding outside to trace while someone else at the wheel, right?

Until some degree of added symptoms - conditions - exceptions Ima go with loose flexplate TC bolt(s).
Correct, every time no matter what the condition is. it only happens when there is acceleration so I barely hear it when I'm outside the car and someone drives by. I haven't put it on a rack or anything so bolts might be the culprit 🤷🏿‍♂️

·
Registered
96 FWB
353 Posts
Something flexible enough to 'relax' after driveline is stopped a short while, yet gets 'kicked' away from a rotating component's path upon initial restart (as in the referred to CV joints or shafts) . Exhaust or brake pieces against frame. Even body panels or hang metal chafing. Get someone in PS or in back to triangulate better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something flexible enough to 'relax' after driveline is stopped a short while, yet gets 'kicked' away from a rotating component's path upon initial restart (as in the referred to CV joints or shafts) . Exhaust or brake pieces against frame. Even body panels or hang metal chafing. Get someone in PS or in back to triangulate better.
Thanks, I had a guy tell me that it could even be the motor mount. How much truth to that do you think there is?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
A motor mount is a very real possibility, but you can check that by brake torquing it and watching how much the motor moves. It should be minimal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well have the transmission serviced and all motor mounts replaced and it still does it. A friend of mine said that it's possible it's the starter gear not disengaging/getting stuck?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
That is a possibility and should be relatively easy to diagnose by the sound or pull the starter and see how freely the pinion gear moves. Might just need a good cleaning or a new return spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts