Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my 2014 to look like 2015 with new emblems but the grille has caused problems with the adaptive cruise control. It works but fails after about 5 miles and I get an error saying "adaptive cruise control temporarily unavailable". Has anyone else had any problems? The part number for the adaptive radar unit is different for 2015/16 models after talking to the parts manager at my local Kansas city Cadillac dealership.. They also confirmed there is also an adaptive cruise badge that can be ordered for $167, but why the different part number on 2015+ radar unit? The radar unit is over $1,000. I can't believe GM engineered that much variance on grills that work with the adaptive cruise radar unit. So frustrating! Thanks for any help/advice anyone can provide to help resolve the issue.

·
Registered
2015 Phantom CTS Vsport
490 Posts
You're messing with some specialized equipment! Maybe 2014 unit it designed to "see" through a 2014 emblem, and the view of a 2015 emblem it can't process? Yes the 2015 nose badge is different on when you have the adaptive cruise option. It's basically plastic and flat and a decal to look like a sculpted logo. Is that one you got? I thought the grill with the emblem was a whole different part number because of adaptive cruise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ordered the 2015 grille emblem that is supposed to work with adaptive cruise control. Now I have to figure out how to remove the current one without damaging the grille. Hopefully I don't have to take the bumper off and disassemble the entire grille again to release the clips from the back side. Like I said, the 2014 adaptive cruise control radar part# is different from the 2015+ part# so if this still doesn't work after trying this new emblem I will just have to go back to the old style 2014 look.. (And re-sell the new style grille & airbag on eBay) fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2015 Phantom CTS Vsport
490 Posts
I just ordered the 2015 grille emblem that is supposed to work with adaptive cruise control. Now I have to figure out how to remove the current one without damaging the grille. Hopefully I don't have to take the bumper off and disassemble the entire grille again to release the clips from the back side. Like I said, the 2014 adaptive cruise control radar part# is different from the 2015+ part# so if this still doesn't work after trying this new emblem I will just have to go back to the old style 2014 look.. (And re-sell the new style grille & airbag on eBay) fingers crossed!
Can you post a pic of the 2015 grill and badge you have now? Close and far preferably? Not only do I want to see, it's important for future searches by others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news, once I popped on the adaptive cruise specific badge it resolved the issue. The badge needed has the computer printed logo as shown in the photo..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one on the grille is the computer generated logo which is needed for the adaptive cruise control to work properly. IMG_20160411_140845.jpg

·
Registered
2014 CTS V-Sport- 2015 Escalade- 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
159 Posts
@aceclayborn How hard was it to take off the Wreath and Crest on the front grill? I'm sure the back one pops off pretty easy, it's the front that I'm worried about, thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To get the grille off you must take off the front bumper and it is very involved so a dealership or auto body shop needs to do it. It will be well worth the $100 labor versus doing it yourself. You need to buy the updated grille with emblem ($300-$450) on EBay. If you can't find a front grill with the Adaptive cruise compatible emblem you can just buy one as discussed prior in this post pop off the emblem and pop in the adaptive cruise emblem which is very simple to do.. you just get under it from the bottom with a flat head screwdriver and twist until the clips release. You can try and pop off the rear emblem yourself but you need to use a thin plcarde tool such as a plastic putty knife or credit card and slowly lift and work it until the adhesive tape releases. I just bought an emblem ($50-60) for the rear and laid it just over the edge of the chrome trim piece so there is no need to purchase the entire rear assembly for the new emblem on that part.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 CTS V Sport Premium
340 Posts
Exactly the part I thought it was.

Saw it at an auto show and didn't like it.

I don't use my adaptive cruise control and don't really want that emblem.

:l

I haven't swapped the grill out yet.

Did you get codes at start up or only when trying to use cruise control?

·
Registered
2014 CTS V-Sport- 2015 Escalade- 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
159 Posts
Hey @aceclayborn,

How wide and tall is the new Cadillac front and rear emblem that you purchased for the conversion? I am only finding 8 and 9inches long front emblems and I believe 6 inches for the rear trunk, and just want to be sure I get the right one.

Thanks,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly the part I thought it was.

Saw it at an auto show and didn't like it.

I don't use my adaptive cruise control and don't really want that emblem.

I haven't swapped the grill out yet.

Did you get codes at start up or only when trying to use cruise control?
According to various sources online and the dealership, it is impossible to disable the adaptive cruise control so I'm curious to know how you got around that.

·
Registered
2014 CTS V Sport Premium
340 Posts
Well I don't use cruise control so that might be it.

Unless it is active even when I don't use cruise control.

And this is why I asked if you got the error on start up or only when actively using active cruise control.

:p

·
Registered
2014 CTS V Sport Premium
340 Posts
In case anyone is wanting the part number...

I ended up buying one of these as well for $90 from my local dealer

I personally do not like the look of it as it seems cheap to me compared to the other sheild.

...since I don't like the look I decided to experiment

I placed the shield on the grill then placed some window tint I had laying around over the top of it.

I then went for a drive and tested the ACC

It worked with no problems!

:D

See...

Now I will actually tint it correctly so that you can only see the outter aluminum shield portion

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS sedan 3.6
16 Posts
To get the grille off you must take off the front bumper and it is very involved so a dealership or auto body shop needs to do it. It will be well worth the $100 labor versus doing it yourself. You need to buy the updated grille with emblem ($300-$450) on EBay. If you can't find a front grill with the Adaptive cruise compatible emblem you can just buy one as discussed prior in this post pop off the emblem and pop in the adaptive cruise emblem which is very simple to do.. you just get under it from the bottom with a flat head screwdriver and twist until the clips release. You can try and pop off the rear emblem yourself but you need to use a thin plcarde tool such as a plastic putty knife or credit card and slowly lift and work it until the adhesive tape releases. I just bought an emblem ($50-60) for the rear and laid it just over the edge of the chrome trim piece so there is no need to purchase the entire rear assembly for the new emblem on that part.
How did you remove the original rear emblem? Was it simple?

·
Registered
2014 CTS V Sport Premium
340 Posts
Hair dryer/ heat gun... low settings (wave it side to side so you don't burn it, you are just warming up the glue)
Use some floss and slice off the glue.
Clean residue with goo gone.
Done!

If you don't have a heatgun or whatever just use a bit more muscle when using floss... you won't hurt it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts