Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
03, 3.2L CTS-SC
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys im going to try again , and intercool the ride. Im debating either a lower bumper mount(might lose .5 to 1 psi of boost trying to save every last drop) ,or the uppgrill mount. Now how much air do you think will be blocked of air flow to the condensor , and or radiator if i install a 24 " in length,and a 3 " width air to air intercooler right behind the grilll???

Tryed before a air to air intercooler ,and mounted like a evo front clip , but ended up losing more psi then whaat was gaining. lost about 2-2.8 psi. Probably was plumbing, and or curves. So trying to keep it as short of a distance as possible.

Opinons,Suggestions, Experts??

·
Registered
27 Posts
What kind of upper grille do you have? Is it the factory style or an aftermarket mesh? My hunch is that you will be better off mounting your intercooler below the bumper, for better ran airflow at spped and less impact to the radiator and condenser performance. Since you live in Florida, I assume AC performance is something you really notice! Converting to a high quality, open mesh upper grille will help the condenser offset the loss of airflow due to the intercooler

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 5sp Auto Silver Smoke with Neutral Interior
998 Posts
You might want to try getting the V bumper and not use the Fog's and DRL's.. maybe just retrofit some small turnsignals into the headlight or something and having that set up with the mesh grill will give you a ton of air. Huge center and two larger openings on the side, that should be enough. Plus you can channel the air where you want.

Its just an idea, I really have nothing close to your setup.. just figured the idea might help.

Later bro.. (maybe post some more recent pics of your ride.. its pretty damn unique)

·
Registered
03, 3.2L CTS-SC
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help guys ,I was thinking about the v bumper upgrade ,but its hard to find any around my way that would even ship to my area. Was thinking of cutting a donor bumper , and rasie the exisitng lower grill up about 2", and make a custom grill that way its wide enough to get fresh air around the whole intercooler.

Was also thinking about just mounting it in the upper grill at 45 degree angle that way its getting hit , but the the radiator, and condensor would still receive its air.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS Supercharged
267 Posts
thanks for the help guys ,I was thinking about the v bumper upgrade ,but its hard to find any around my way that would even ship to my area. Was thinking of cutting a donor bumper , and rasie the exisitng lower grill up about 2", and make a custom grill that way its wide enough to get fresh air around the whole intercooler.

Was also thinking about just mounting it in the upper grill at 45 degree angle that way its getting hit , but the the radiator, and condensor would still receive its air.
I have an air to air cooler mounted in my car. I had it made to fit the car. It's located on the lower part of the bumper opening. (I'll have a pic for you later) If it's the ocational weekend race and depending on what type of racing your stock rad will be fine. I road race my car, my stock rad couldn't handle it. After 3 or 4 laps the engine starts to over heat. :bomb:

·
Registered
03, 3.2L CTS-SC
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an air to air cooler mounted in my car. I had it made to fit the car. It's located on the lower part of the bumper opening. (I'll have a pic for you later) If it's the ocational weekend race and depending on what type of racing your stock rad will be fine. I road race my car, my stock rad couldn't handle it. After 3 or 4 laps the engine starts to over heat. :bomb:[/

I do road courses once a month , and take it to the drag every once in a blue moon. What's the measurements is your intercooler? I plan on using a universal 2" high intercooler, but if your motor over heats now with a bigger cooler i could imagine a smaller one in Florida. screaming for toruble. If you could post a pic of yours nela that'll be cool. I really wantto mount this in the upper grill but it doesnt look like its going to happen that way unless I relocate the windshield wash resivor.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'll send you the dimensions once I find the blue print. I had PWR Performance make my cooler www.pwr-performance.com
My inlet and out let are 2.5" The car started to run hot before I had the cooler, once I added the cooler it began to overheat. In order for me to mount the cooler I had to eliminate my windshield washer tank.

Nels

Attachments

·
Registered
03, 3.2L CTS-SC
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Nels alot guess i'll be doing the same thing with removing the windshield washer tank.yea I would like to run either 2.25 or 2.5,main goal is to cool the air without losing any psi. Trying to keep with my 5psi im at now.

Is your cts a daily driver nels? Also why did you start to over heat after the intercooler was installed? You see any hp differences ? Did you lose psi with the intercooler? Thank god i found someone thats done this now i can get a basis of what i'm getting myself into. Thanks nels

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks Nels alot guess i'll be doing the same thing with removing the windshield washer tank.yea I would like to run either 2.25 or 2.5,main goal is to cool the air without losing any psi. Trying to keep with my 5psi im at now.

Is your cts a daily driver nels? Also why did you start to over heat after the intercooler was installed? You see any hp differences ? Did you lose psi with the intercooler? Thank god i found someone thats done this now i can get a basis of what i'm getting myself into. Thanks nels
Yes my CTS is a daily driver (only in the summer) There's a couple of reasons the car over heated once the cooler was installed. Once the air passes through the cooler it was only hot air cooling the rad. I started to push harder at the track with the cooler installed.

I gained about 30hp with the cooler on. I didn't lose any pressure through the cooler.

You need to make sure that the cooler you get can handle the volume of air your charger puts out.

Whatever information you need just let me know. I'm happy to help.

Nels

·
Registered
03, 3.2L CTS-SC
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes my CTS is a daily driver (only in the summer) There's a couple of reasons the car over heated once the cooler was installed. Once the air passes through the cooler it was only hot air cooling the rad. I started to push harder at the track with the cooler installed.

I gained about 30hp with the cooler on. I didn't lose any pressure through the cooler.

You need to make sure that the cooler you get can handle the volume of air your charger puts out.

Whatever information you need just let me know. I'm happy to help.

Nels

Thanks alot nels . How would i find out the air output ? would there be a guage tester ? I have till saturday thats when i should be done (i pray) the new throttle housing. So im trying to get as much done as possible before hand so everything runs smoothly. Did they mount your intercooler on the impact bumper? I'm thinking about buying universal piping ,and see what i coud get from that, or would you have the plumbing dimensions. Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks alot nels . How would i find out the air output ? would there be a guage tester ? I have till saturday thats when i should be done (i pray) the new throttle housing. So im trying to get as much done as possible before hand so everything runs smoothly. Did they mount your intercooler on the impact bumper? I'm thinking about buying universal piping ,and see what i coud get from that, or would you have the plumbing dimensions. Thanks again for the help
The cooler manufacture should have the CFM spec. Also the manufacture of the charger should have the CFM spec.

I mounted my cooler below the impact bumper with two brackets that I made. I just purchased 4 feet of 2.5” straight pipe as well as a few bends.

I ran a pipe on either side of the rad into the engine compartment. You’ll see once the washer tank is removed there’s lots of room. I’ll try to take some pics this weekend with my bumper off, so you can get a better look.

Nels

·
Registered
03, 3.2L CTS-SC
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cooler manufacture should have the CFM spec. Also the manufacture of the charger should have the CFM spec.

I mounted my cooler below the impact bumper with two brackets that I made. I just purchased 4 feet of 2.5” straight pipe as well as a few bends.

I ran a pipe on either side of the rad into the engine compartment. You’ll see once the washer tank is removed there’s lots of room. I’ll try to take some pics this weekend with my bumper off, so you can get a better look.

Nels
Thanks . Well the charger was custom made at the casa. So ill see what I could find out about that . If you could post pics that'll be great . Guess I'll be driving without a front bumper for a few, untill everything is installed, and running properly.

·
Registered
Cadillac
57 Posts
I would also like to recommend the Snow Performance Boost Cooler. It injects a 50/50 methanol/water mixture into the intercooler tubing and cools down the air charge temperature. I run one on my T-Bird drag racer and it drops the air charge temps by 50 degrees or more. Plus it turns 93 octane into 116 octane so you can bump the timing up to add a few more HP.

·
Registered
03, 3.2L CTS-SC
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well after a hell of a weekend. I found time to make the new throttle body housing ,bought some aluminum 2.5 piping , and installed the intercooler. will post pics as soon as email decides to work for me. I still have to reinstall bumper.

·
Registered
03, 3.2L CTS-SC
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
BEFORE

After

Runs real good just took my friend with a gto with a few bolt ons by 1/2 a length. Race was first one to 100 mph. Wonder if i would see the same once i install the bumper. Also thanks Nels for the info aboutthe water tank

·
Registered
267 Posts
Look’s good. Did you measure the air temp before and after the cooler?

Sorry that I didn't post my cooler pictures. I just didn't have time this past weekend to take the bumper off.

Oh by the way I'm working on making a washer tank to accommodate the cooler piping.

Nels

·
Registered
03, 3.2L CTS-SC
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All good nel's you helped out more then enough thank's. Yea i went to the junk yard , and got a filler tank from a focus. Going to try , and mount it on the driver side near or between the brake, and radiator resivour. The air temp has a 40 degree difference. It'll probably change once i re-add the bumper. Now its all a matter of raising the boost , seeing how it turns out. Thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts