Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to leave my friends apartment down in PA, to drive back home to Jersey tonight. When I got in my car and started it up, all the lights were real bright (I usually have the dimmer set quite low), my Mile Range was blank, and so was my outside temp. The ABS light was also on as well. With the car still running, I went into the Diagnostic mode to check and see what codes were coming up. I swear it took 5 minutes for the car to list all the problems. There were about 5-6 ABS codes including two wheels speed sensors, abotu 10 or so PCM code, a bunch of VTD, SMS , AMP, and a whole host of other codes. In fact I think the only system that didn't throw some sort of code was the RSS, which read no data available.

After seeing all that, I shut the car off and turned the key back to on. I went back into the diagnostic mode to see if any codes were gone (only a few of the ABS codes, and a few AMP and PCM code were actualy current the first time). When it went to read the codes off, only one AMP, and the ABS codes were there and the RSS was still reading no data. I cleared what codes I could see.

I shut the car off again and turned the key back to on again. This time, the ABS light was out, and wasn't reading any ABS codes. However, the RSS was still reading no data, leaving me with the speed limited to 90mph when the car was put in gear.

I shut the car off one last time, and turn it back on and started it. This time, I had no lights, and no Speed limited to 90 message. Everything was working fine, and did so for the entire 150 mile trip back home.

I have absolutely no idea what would cause so many codes to be throw, and then just simply dissapear withotu a trace after onyl four key cycles. I have a feeling that when I shut the car off the first time, I lost my keep alive memory, which my have caused all those codes that weren't current to be cleared. Providing the car starts tomorrow without any problems, I'm calling my locacl dealer to make an appointment. If in fact it does go crazy tomorrow, then I'll simply drive it over there, and tell them to check for freeze fram data with the Tech 2 before the codes disappear again.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else ever seen a car throw 60+ codes, and then simply go back to normal after a few key cycles. I know a loose battery terminal can cause this (I had that happen a few months ago). It had just snowed that day, and I was thinking maybe I had a bad ground wire or too somewhere that got frosted over or something, but it was still warmer than it had been the last few days anyway. Oh well, I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow and see if they can find anything.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
I think the most codes ive have thrown at me at once was like 10. It was something related to the speed sensors in the trans.. Trans place told me one of the sensors was going bad (they overhauled the trans a month ago). Now I have to leave it with them today. But other then that.. The worst was like 15-20 when I originally got it back from them. I just cleared them all away and never had anything like that happen again.

MacK

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
I wonder if a flaky connector on the PCM itself would cause that many codes to be thrown and then disappear. Hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
When I did the install on a new amp, and subwoofer, I mounted the power cable to the fuse block. I removed the nut on the post, installed the wire, and put the nut back on. When checking out the system, I ran codes. It seemed that removing the nut, momentarily removed power to the fuse panel. I had about as many codes as you had. I reset the system, and the codes were gone. I would check all of your cables, to make sure they are "good and tight" (reminds me of a German virgin:histeric: ). It might be that simple.

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts