Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last few days I have noticed a clunking sound about every 10 seconds when I'm sitting still waiting to pick up the kids. I can hear it in the car with it running and the windows up.
Alot of times it even does it right after I pull in my garage and the car is turned off and I am walking into the house. It sounds like a little man hitting the chassis with a hammer and it is not radical. It is every ten seconds on the dot.:banghead:

Could this be the ride leveling system? If it is, what could be the cause of the clunking sound?

Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,016 Posts
What car, model, year, engine, mileage ?? Update your profile/signature using the "User CP" up in the blue bar ^^^.

(Yeah, my exhaust "tings" every now and then.)

·
Registered
Cadillac
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What car, model, year, engine, mileage ?? Update your profile/signature using the "User CP" up in the blue bar ^^^.

(Yeah, my exhaust "tings" every now and then.)
I'm sorry guys it's a 98 STS w/100k miles

I just got back from town and I noticed that it only does it when the leveling compressor is not coming on. When I pulled back in my garage the leveling compressor was working while I was walking back into my house and there was no clunking sound.

It is definitely not the exhaust. It's louder than a little exhaust pinging. It only happens when the car is running and sitting in an unlevel place or pulling onto a level place from an incline/decline. Like this afternoon I was sitting at a stop light downhill and the clunking started w/no compressor humming. Later I was at another downhill stop light and the compressor came on and there was no clunking.

Could it be the compressor periodically locking up?

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
These cars have more of an exhaust "clunk" than the typical ticking you hear from other cars. Its been covered here before. Seems odd that your level ride is working with the car off.

·
Registered
Cadillac
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems odd that your level ride is working with the car off.
I've heard the compressor running a few times after the keys were out of the ignition.When I first got the car in Feb08 my wife and I were standing beside it and we were hearing a humming noise and realized it was the leveling system. My keys were in my pocket. It could be leveling itself even after i cut the car off.

But like I said before it only does clunking or humming. Never both at the same time. That's why I think it could be the compressor locking up.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
The compressor should not be running continuously. If you are hearing this every 10 seconds then either it is something else or there is a leak and the compressor runs continuously. It should be easy to find if you get it in the air and get under it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts