Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pain in the arse, aren't I?

Being as I am a new owner of an old Eldy, I am looking to take care of it as well as its past owners have.

I want to flush and refill the cooling system. I know about the pellets but my question is: Is there any special coolant I should use? I've never had to deal with an aluminum block and head, before.

Ed

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
By your title "Green Stuff" I take it the present coolant in your system is green? That is siliconized and that is what you will want to replace it with, more 'green stuff'. Nothing more special other than that, quality may vary from brand to brand but there is a minimum standard that must be met so unless you are very picky I doubt that it matters.

It is recommended to use distilled water with the new coolant along with the GM pellets or Barsleak Gold.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Yep your 95 should still have the green silicated coolant. Replace with the green stuff or universal, keeping with the regular coolant changes specified in the owners manual. Should be about 2 years.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,242 Posts
Also, don't bother flushing. That just introduces tap water (assuming you are going to use a garden hose) which introduces lime, calcium, iron, etc. Just drain, premix your coolant 50/50 distilled water and coolant and refill.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Guys.
This car brings new questions to mind constantly. It's time to get a FSM and answer some of my own questions.
Thanks, again.

Ed

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
deskjockey said:
hey guys,
what are these "pellets" I keep hearing about?
The pellets are for sealing leaks. Very important for our aluminum blocks! It is a must to use either the GM coolant supliment pellets or as an alternative the Barsleak Gold coolant supliment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts