Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Crazy that Raiti was the first to publish a video review of both the CT5-V and CT4-V. In fact, THIS review of the CT4-V is the first review of the CT4-V I've seen...video OR print. Glad he loved it...in fact, I was quite impressed with the car after seeing the review (though it's too small for me).

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
807 Posts
I'm still so disappointed that the CT4-V doesn't get a manual transmission. If anything, it makes a ton more sense for this car to get it and for the Blackwing to be an automatic (I mean, they should both have it, but if only one could, this is the sweet-spot, I feel). I don't think they're interpreting their data correctly. They probably looked at it and said "Wow, a way higher percentage of ATS-Vs were manuals than ATSes, I guess we should only make the Blackwing a manual and just automatics for everything else." I have to believe that even with a small percentage of ATS 2.0Ts being manuals, those manuals must have outsold the entire ATS-V line! And why is that? Because manual transmissions are not about all-out performance, or at least they haven't been for a dozen or so years now. They are, and also have been the funner transmission at low and midrange engine performance, though. They're beautifully suited for windy roads where suspension handling is much more important, top speeds and 0 to 60s are irrelevant there. The CT4-V is in that perfect spot for a manual. It doesn't have so much power where it becomes a chore to drive, but it has a great suspension, chassis, and brakes.

I don't know, maybe I'm just seeing it through my filter. I want a fun car with a stick. I don't need more than 325 HP and I don't want to lose several MPGs, either. I'm not buying a car without a stick, but I'm also definitely not paying thousands, if not tens of thousands more for power I don't need and to pay a lot more for fuel just to get that stick. Such a waste. Fingers crossed transmission swaps on these won't be too bad in the future (they will).

·
Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After the CT4-V Blackwing is out and it's manual is ready, maybe the manual will get added to the
V JR, if it's selling and they hear demand for a manual.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm still so disappointed that the CT4-V doesn't get a manual transmission. If anything, it makes a ton more sense for this car to get it and for the Blackwing to be an automatic (I mean, they should both have it, but if only one could, this is the sweet-spot, I feel). I don't think they're interpreting their data correctly. They probably looked at it and said "Wow, a way higher percentage of ATS-Vs were manuals than ATSes, I guess we should only make the Blackwing a manual and just automatics for everything else." I have to believe that even with a small percentage of ATS 2.0Ts being manuals, those manuals must have outsold the entire ATS-V line! And why is that? Because manual transmissions are not about all-out performance, or at least they haven't been for a dozen or so years now. They are, and also have been the funner transmission at low and midrange engine performance, though. They're beautifully suited for windy roads where suspension handling is much more important, top speeds and 0 to 60s are irrelevant there. The CT4-V is in that perfect spot for a manual. It doesn't have so much power where it becomes a chore to drive, but it has a great suspension, chassis, and brakes.

I don't know, maybe I'm just seeing it through my filter. I want a fun car with a stick. I don't need more than 325 HP and I don't want to lose several MPGs, either. I'm not buying a car without a stick, but I'm also definitely not paying thousands, if not tens of thousands more for power I don't need and to pay a lot more for fuel just to get that stick. Such a waste. Fingers crossed transmission swaps on these won't be too bad in the future (they will).
I agree that the CT4-V (non-Blacking) would be a GREAT candidate for a manual. But I don't know that Cadillac has ruled that out...I've seen several articles stating (unsubstantiated) that Cadillac is adding the manual in 2021 to the regular V models, but there's clearly some confusion here.

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
807 Posts
I agree that the CT4-V (non-Blackwing) would be a GREAT candidate for a manual. But I don't know that Cadillac has ruled that out...I've seen several articles stating (unsubstantiated) that Cadillac is adding the manual in 2021 to the regular V models, but there's clearly some confusion here.
If true, that's amazing news. I'm still really happy with my ATS, but by 2021 I should be nearing 120,000 miles. I'm not super sure it's a a $150,000+ mile car (or if it would be worth making it one), so having a CT4-V 6MT available would make the decision to switch very easy.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
999 Posts
Sergio, I'm with you on the manuals. My '13 ATS Premium was my third manual Caddy, and my '17 ATS-V is my fourth. I don't really need all of the power from my V, but I love the handling and the brakes, along with the manual, of course. And I love that I have adequate power off boost at low revs, where the 2.0 had nothing. I would probably would get along great with the CT4-V with a stick as a possible sweet spot. I hope they make one, too. I'm sure the CT4 BW will be a monster, but I'm not sure it will be enough of an upgrade to bother with for me, and again, I don't really need all of that power. We shall see. A CT5-V with a stick would also be a nice car. Are you listening, Cadillac?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts