Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to go to work today and when I went out to get in my Cadillac the door wouldn't open. Pushed the keyless remote to unlock and nothing except I hear the rear door actuator but the door doesn't unlock. Try the valet key and it doesn't work! Got my wife's fob and while it doesn't unlock the car her valet key does work - YAYY! Except the car is DEAD!

I call Onstar and they get me to roadside service. They contact local dealer and ask if they can send out their mobile mechanic before towing it in. Sure, ok by me. Mobile tech arrived and charges the battery - car now runs. Since their doesn't seem to be any electrical issues causing the problem, the tech put s a new battery in and tells my wife he will have a new key ordered and to make an appointment to bring in good key to have the new one cut to match. Says there was just a slight difference between the 2 we have and it must be enough of a difference to cause a problem.

Got great service and hopefully all is well now - would have thought a battery would last more than 3 years but I guess all the electronic gizmos take their toll much quicker now. Anyway it was covered under warranty so I am happy.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I do also! BTW got my first chance to see how the AWD works on a fresh 3" snow/ice pack this morning and it worked flawlessly! Had much better traction and control than any other vehicle I have ever owned - and with stock 18" Michelin tires!

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
lucky you. I had horrible luck with my CTS4. Maybe I expected too much, maybe 15000 miles was too many for the Michelins, but I was sorely disappointed. I never lost control, but I got tired of AWD and Stabilitrak fighting against each other. I have actually done better with my Camaro this year.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: Today car is dead again! Must be an excessive electrical draw somewhere as the car was driven from Indiana to upstate NY this week and was in Ohio on the way back! Jump started it so I guess i will put it on the charger when I get home and get it in to the dealer on Monday!

·
Registered
2008 Thunder Gray STS-V; 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Wagon
36 Posts
Blame the "all-season" tires, not the AWD vehicle. All-season tires are, by definition, a compromise. If you live in a climate that typically features snow and ice in the winter, then you owe it to yourself to invest in a good set of winter tires. The difference is AMAZING. My CTS4 wagon was disappointing in the snow with the stock all seasons and is an absolute beast with the proper Michelin X-Ice Xi2 winter tires. Winter tires rule!!

lucky you. I had horrible luck with my CTS4. Maybe I expected too much, maybe 15000 miles was too many for the Michelins, but I was sorely disappointed. I never lost control, but I got tired of AWD and Stabilitrak fighting against each other. I have actually done better with my Camaro this year.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Depending on where you live, winter tires are also a compromise. They are great on the snow, but that's it. They are absolutely, utterly horrible on pavement. And wear twice as fast as a cheap all-season tire. I had a set of Michelin snow tires, as well as the mxm on the CTS, and some Michelin (I forget which) on my Maxima. I will tell you this, I will never, ever, own another set of Michelin tires. They are all horrible.

·
Registered
2008 Thunder Gray STS-V; 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Wagon
36 Posts
Sorry to hear about your past experience with Michelins. I gotta tell you that these Michelin X-Ice Xi2s are fabulous. They are fantastic in the snow and ice and they are also whisper quiet and super smooth on dry pavement. I have about 5,000 miles on them so far and they show almost no wear at all. We get a broad range of temperatures and precipitation during the winter months here in the Detroit area and these Michelin X-Ice Xi2 tires have handled everything with flying colors. I highly recommend them!

Depending on where you live, winter tires are also a compromise. They are great on the snow, but that's it. They are absolutely, utterly horrible on pavement. And wear twice as fast as a cheap all-season tire. I had a set of Michelin snow tires, as well as the mxm on the CTS, and some Michelin (I forget which) on my Maxima. I will tell you this, I will never, ever, own another set of Michelin tires. They are all horrible.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I don't remember which Michelins I had. This was 7 years ago, i am sure the model is long extinct. But i also had two sets of Blizzak WS50 tires, the ice-rated tire with the multi-cell compound, and the sport series Blizzak without the multi cell. The sport tires were about the same as a really good set of all season tires.
The WS were utterly phenomenal. I was out-accelerating SUVs in the snow. One night I was cruising around a turn, and the two cars behind my spun out because they could not hold the line (I did feel guilty about it, but I never asked them to try and follow me). But the multi-cell lasts about 5000 miles at the most. Then you are left with basically a regular winter tire. By my second winter on them, they were shot. I was getting passed by cars that I know did not have snow tires.

I am sure they are great for a lot of people. Certainly people who live in areas that don't get snow removal. But if you are like me, live in Chicago, and drive an obscene amount of miles, they are a waste.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts