Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only owned two kinds of cars, Mercedes and Cadillac. I recently purchased my Dad's 1999 Seville SLS. Because of some health issues it is easier for him and Mom to drive and ride their Chevy TrailBlazer, so he offered to sell me his 1999 Black Sable Seville SLS.

My previous Caddies included a Cimarron (yes, I know, but my wife loved it so what was I supposed to do?), a 1984 SDV and a 1989 Seville. I must say, the 1999 Seville is head and shoulders above all of my previous Caddies...and it is almost making me forget my 420SEL ;)

The best news is that the car is fully equipped with just about every option, (except for sunroof) AND it had only 9K miles when I bought it from my parents a couple of weeks ago (I've put a few miles on it since then :) ). My parents hardly drove it, so I am essentially getting a brand "new" 1999 Seville.

The other nice thing about this car (aside from the obvious pleasure of driving it) is the fact that my parents have full documentation for the car, including the original window sticker and the 1999 Seville STS-SLS sales brochure. I am a nut for records and it is nice to have all of this paperwork. :coolgleam

BTW, this is a great board. I also belong to a Mercedes owners board www.mercedesshop.com and I must say that this board is as comprehensive and informative as the Benz board. I have made many friends at the Benz site, I hope to be able to do the same here.

Thank you for the board and thank you for having me here.

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Hey 1toycad - Welcome to the CadillacForums! Congratulations on the new acquisition - gotta love the low mileage and like-new condition. And they do look sweet in black!

Thanks for registering! :welcome:

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
1toycad said:
This is a great board. I also belong to a Mercedes owners board www.mercedesshop.com and I must say that this board is as comprehensive and informative as the Benz board. I have made many friends at the Benz site, I hope to be able to do the same here.
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up! This is a really, really nice compliment! I've know about mercedesshop.com for quite some time - and I never thought I'd hear cadillacforums.com being compared to it. :) So thank you very much!

I'm glad to hear you're loving your practically new Seville! It REALLY is an amazing car.. When you get some time, give us a little comparison of the two cars. I'd like to see where Cadillac lacks and excels...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sal Collaziano said:
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up! This is a really, really nice compliment! I've know about mercedesshop.com for quite some time - and I never thought I'd hear cadillacforums.com being compared to it. :) So thank you very much!

I'm glad to hear you're loving your practically new Seville! It REALLY is an amazing car.. When you get some time, give us a little comparison of the two cars. I'd like to see where Cadillac lacks and excels...
Sal: The two cars are different in some ways and alike in others. My 1991 420SEL stickered for $63K when new. The 1999 Seville SLS, with options, stickered for $47K. That's a $16K price difference--not even taking into consideration the inflation rate from 1991 to 1999--I have no idea what the 420SEL would cost in 1999 dollars.

So, direct bumper-to-bumper comparos are a bit unfair. Having said that, let me note the areas where each car excels and where they fall short.

The 420SEL is a big, RWD car. As such, it literally feels like a bank vault--or a German Panzer tank. The 1991 420SEL was the last model model year for the W126 body style and as such it stands at the top of the engineering pyramid for that particular body style. The 420SEL reflects the German engineering philosophy of the time--make it as heavy, as solid and as powerful as you can and then let it fly down the road.

The engine in the 420SEL is about the same size as the engine in the SLS--4.2 L vs. 4.6 L. It puts less horsepower than the SLS and it has less torque. So off the line, the SLS is much quicker. At the top of the torque curve, however, the 420SEL feels far more powerful. The SLS has a very sweet exhaust tone, the 420SEL is quieter. I am a bit ticked off that the SLS speed is computer limited at 112 mph. I can cruise a lot faster than that inmy 13 year old 420SEL. My old 1989 Seville had the electronic speedo that would flash whenever you hit 85 mph. I hated that, so I'd switch to metric, so it would "look" like I was driving faster.

Inside, the 420SEL feels more open and airer. The back seat has limo-like proportions, even the rear, center seat feels comfortable. My 420SEL came equipped with factory rear footrests, further enhancing the limo-like qualities.

The SLS's cabin feels far more intimate, even for a FWD car. It never feels claustrophobic, however. Maybe the thick A pillar in the SLS helps to create this closed-in feeling. I read that the SLS and STS have two, thick hydroformed steel beams running up the A pillars and through to the back of the car, with a third beam running across the roof. Maybe this makes the SLS cabin feel smaller. The hydroformed beams help make the car safer in a roll-over, so I am willing to trade a smaller cabin for more safety.

The SLS is quieter, at all speeds. German cars from the late 1980's, up to the 1991 420SEL model year, tend to be noiser cars--I guess they felt that some road noise helps the driver stay connected to the driving task--whatever! :confused: The SLS is very quiet. At idle I can't tell that the engine is running unless I look at the tach.

The stero in the SLS, the Bose 4.0 is awesome--although I am occasionally getting some muddled sounds coming from the front speakers. My dad always listens to talk radio, so I guesds he never had the chance to fully test the speakers by listening to Smashing Pumpkins and Billy Corgin.

The original Becker in the 420SEL was not very good. I have replaced it with an Alpine HU and I now get better sound in the 420SEL, but not as deep or rich as the Bose in the SLS.

The 420SEL looks elegant, in a classic, Old World style. The SLS looks sexier with a "hey, look at me" sort of look. (My wife calls the SLS, the little slut. I told her it was either buying my Dad's Caddy or getting a 'Vette. Suddently the SLS looked less "slutty" to her.). I am surprised by the fact that so many young people on this board are attracted to the STS and SLS models.

The 420SEL is an easy car to drive, despite its size and weight. I can drive it all day and still feel fresh by the end of the trip. Because it is a RWD car, it somehow feels less "squirrelly" than the SLS. The SLS, even with MagnaSteer, has a lighter touch to the steering wheel. The SLS's steering feels a lot lighter, but it is never vague.

Like I said before, both cars are alike in some ways and different in others. The 420SEL is a very Teutonic car whereas the SLS reflects some of the best thinking in American auto engineering. The Germans and the Americans take different roads to get to the same destination (no pun intended).

The final test will be how long the SLS lasts. I have 247K miles in the 420SEL and except for paint damage caused by problems with the clear coat (a common issue with that model year and color) and an oil leak from the left head gasket, the car runs and looks great--the interiors are in like-new conditions. Now I want to see how many miles I can go in the SLS. The most miles I have ever put on a Caddy were 100K in the 1984 SDV. Let's see how long this one lasts :coolgleam

Well, I'll better get back to work. If you still want more comparisons,let me know and I'll try to fill in whatever I have left out.

Again, this is a great board. Happy upcoming birthday. Thanks for having me here.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Welcome aboard.... Thanks for signing up :wave:

Very good comparison of the 2 cars... ive always liked those big RWD MBz!!

·
Registered
2006 STS-4 1999 Deville Concours
1,488 Posts
Welcome to the site! A 99' with 9K Wow! I love my 99. One thing to check, I believe on my Concours there was a recall on the side airbags (recall 00066 LH AND RH side impact sensing module) I'm not sure if it applies to the Seville.
Check with the dealer this is a factory recall no charge to you. I love them in black!

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sal Collaziano said:
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up! This is a really, really nice compliment! I've know about mercedesshop.com for quite some time - and I never thought I'd hear cadillacforums.com being compared to it. :) So thank you very much! ...
Sal:

Actually, in many ways this board is more thorough and complete than the MercedesShop site. You have more resources available to the members here. Your messaging software is easier to use and there are far more "smilies" available.

I think that MercedesShop is sponsored by an auto parts dealer, so the costs of running the board are absorbed by the principal sponsor. They offer really good, deeply discounted prices for parts. There is a large number of DYIers in the Benz community. Many of us own older Benzes, with high mileage so we do a lot of our own repairs.

I don't know how many of the Caddy owners here are DYIers or how much of a market there would be for a supplier of parts at a good discount. But maybe you should look for one single, large sponsor. Or maybe you have already looked into this. :xsmile:

In any event, this is a REALLY great board and I look to spending a lot of time looking around here. :2thumbs:

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Thats a good thought, and we have been looking for a wholesale parts place that would sponsor this board..... IMO its about the only thing missing....

Just wait until the FAQ section is up!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fritzi said:
welcome:welcome:
I almost hate to ask...but what is the tattoo like? And...where is it.

You are either an enthusiast, or you need to be committed :coolgleam

Thanks for the welcome. I know I have said it before, but this is really a great board. Sal has obviously spent a great deal of time, effort and money on this board. And the fact that he looks like he stepped right off the set of the Sopranos (or the Good Fellas) had noting to do with my saying so...honest...:worship:

I have a question for oyu guys. Here in the Left coast...er, I mean the West Coast Benzes are far more popular than Caddies. I notice that a lot of you guys seem to be from back East, the Penn-New York-Jersey area. Are Caddies more poular than Benzes in the East Coast than they are in the West Coast?

Just curious

Merry Christmas...Happy Hannukah...Joyous Kwanza :xgrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts