Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
08 cts 68k, 07 STS-V 15K, 97 Sts 160k
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for break bleeding and found one thread that mentioned gravity bleeding of the breaks. I just changed out my ABS/Trac electronics and valve assembly with attached motor EBTCM or something like that. Any way tried to bleed the brakes myself but they are still squishy. It feels like they go to the floor but they don't and they have enough braking power but it should be better.

The aforementioned thread said I could just hook up a clear hose and crack the bleeder valve at each caliper and wait 15 to 20 min for the fluid to come out into a bottle then close the bleeder. I would want to wait till the hose is full of fluid to be sure the lines are solid fluid and no air. Will this work? This would be done with no brake peddle pressure applied. Just gravity obviously.

I tried to pump them with the bleeder open but i think what was happening when i let off the peddle air was getting back into the lines.

·
Registered
1992 Seville
323 Posts
Just a thought!

Over the years I've tried various one man operations to bleed brakes and never found any of them to be vary effective. The two person press and hold method, to me, is still the quickest and easiest way to do it.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
It is easier to gravity bleed. It just takes longer waiting for the new fluid to start coming out clean.

The fluid bypasses through the ABS and very little fluid is held in the ABS valve. It will cycle out & mix in with the fresh fluid when the ABS is activated.

If you want to bleed the ABS bleeding proceedure is no longer as simple.

·
Registered
2000 DHS
535 Posts
Yes you have the right procedure, just don't let the reservoir go dry or you will be starting over. You can bleed all 4 at once, just check the reservoir every 15 minutes or so and you will have a good solid pedal after watching a movie (because there is no labor except keeping reservoir full)

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
My favorite way to bleed brakes is with one of these: http://www.brakebleeder.com/

It pumps the fluid into the bleeder nipple in the caliper, forcing the air up through the lines, into the master cylinder and out the reservoir (which is where it's trying to go anyway).

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,158 Posts
I've never had much luck with the gravity method. Maybe I'm just to impatient. I prefer the two man method.

I tried to pump them with the bleeder open but i think what was happening when i let off the peddle air was getting back into the lines.
It takes two people to do this. If you let off the pedal while the bleeder is still open you WILL suck air back into the system. The person at the bleeder valve MUST close the valve BEFORE you release the brake.

·
Registered
01 Cadillac Seville STS
56 Posts
I use a catch cup with a piece of hose over the bleeder into some brake fluid. You can pump the pedal several times until the bubbles stop coming out. You just have to make sure not to empty the master cylinder reservior or you will be starting from scratch. This method is much quicker and more reliable for me. It still helps to have the extra person to watch things but it can be done without them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts