Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SRX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a grating/flapping noise coming from the rear of my SRX. It sounded like a wheel bearing so I had them both replaced but the noise persists. There is no caddy dealer in Scotland but I’ve tried two shops who have not been able to find the source. One shop lifted all corners and drove the car in midair but the noise was not present. It happens at all speeds although I am especially aware at a constant 30mph. The grating noise increases with speed which supported the wheel bearing theory. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
737 Posts
This is quite a challenging case. If your car is rear drive only, the remaining culprits would almost have to be differential or driveshaft. If it's all wheel drive, then the transfer case chain is a known possible failure point too. Wish I had more wisdom to offer, but good luck on your repairs.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks Nascarnation - I’ll ask my shop to check that out - it is AWD. I did wonder about the diff but it was replaced 2 years ago - the shop did have a good look at it but didn’t think there was a problem.

·
2004 Deville base
'05 SRX N*/AWD, Vetts/Birds/Trucks
433 Posts
Maybe the driveshaft 'mid/carrier' bearing? They should have easy caught brakes and stuff

With the diff dangling, might not make the noise? IDK, I seem to get my share of WTF's haha

Oh, and I'm with nascar on the hubs(issues), just did all 4. What a POS design idea...'ball bearing wheel bearings' on a 'performance' type auto?? If they were tapered, they would last longer, or should. That it is not rebuildable adds insult to injury, and some horrible quality issues across brands. Wankers.

edit...nevermind the diff...duh...IRS NO DANGLE. HAha
I got to escape these Firebirds/trucks.:cookoo:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts