Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SRX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Caddy has been really struggling for the past decade to shed its senior citizen image. I drive the second-gen turbo SRX (I'm 36), but am constantly teased by my European luxury car owning friends. Quite frankly, I don't care. However, when you look at Caddy's shrinking sales and its aging customers, I can't help but feel like they're headed for troubled waters. Especially since economic forecasting is exactly what I do for a living (biotech industry, not auto industry, although the concepts are the same). Thoughts? See link below...

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/10/buick-and-cadillac-continue-to-attract-the-oldest-buyers/

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,504 Posts
Thoughts?

"The only difference between men and boys ........
Is the price of their toys."

Aging customers ??? So only juveniles drive BMW, Jaguar, MB, Lexus, Maserati, Ferrari ??? ........... and in CF we have our fair share of young CTS and -V drivers and modders. Build a cross section of sporty performance cars as well as barges - I prefer the sporty performance versions, but other grandfathers/grandmothers prefer the barges. My wife would not be caught dead in a Fleetwood Brougham (or an SRX :sneaky:) - and she's 74 - just left for the nursery in the F-150.

Economics plays a part, too. I can easily walk into just about any car dealership and write a check for the full out-the-door price of most cars. Could I at 21 ?? hell, no !

·
Registered
1971 Eldorado Conv
15 Posts
My problem is Cadillac keeps dropping the ball with their concepts or I would buy a new one. People go nuts over them and Cadillac does nothing to pursue the venture.
Stop teasing me, if they would just build the Ciel or the Elmiraj I would be the first in line to buy one.

·
Registered
2011 SRX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Submariner409 said:
"The only difference between men and boys ........ Is the price of their toys." Aging customers ??? So only juveniles drive BMW, Jaguar, MB, Lexus, Maserati, Ferrari ??? ........... and in CF we have our fair share of young CTS and -V drivers and modders. Build a cross section of sporty performance cars as well as barges - I prefer the sporty performance versions, but other grandfathers/grandmothers prefer the barges. My wife would not be caught dead in a Fleetwood Brougham (or an SRX :sneaky:) - and she's 74 - just left for the nursery in the F-150. Economics plays a part, too. I can easily walk into just about any car dealership and write a check for the full out-the-door price of most cars. Could I at 21 ?? hell, no !
These are just the data reported by the company. The average age of caddy is significantly higher that the other brands. You can look it up. The German brands all have a mean buyer that's at least 10 years younger than Caddy.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
So what is so wrong with building a product with a target market of older folks? As Sub said, they have the money.

I just don't understand this attitude of "only older people are buying our product - we're failing!"

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
When I was a kid, it seemed that only old people drove Cadillacs. Now, that was the point-of-veiw of a kid. I can't say how accurate it was. It was part of the reason I wanted one as a youngster - the people I respected, who had "made it" in life, drove Cadillacs. I didn't care about living a luxury lifestyle, but I wanted the car! I think a lot of people who grew up with me saw the Cadillac in their grandparent's driveway and thought the exact opposite of what I did, that it was extremely uncool to drive an "old people" car. When you grow up with anything burned into your conscience, it's hard to shake it. So I think it make sense that many people have this idea about Cadillac, and only Cadillac can change their mind.

It might take another generation or two of young drivers to alter this perception about Cadillac. I hope that they can stay vital long enough to make it to that point in time!

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
I see plenty of old people driving E and S class Benz, 5 and 7 series BMW, and just about any model Lexus. Now all of those brands have a lot of younger(ie 30 to 40 year olds) driving 3 series, C class, the IS350, etc. The IS and 3 series are considered very hip and sporty by my generation, and this is where Cadillac is falling on its face IMO. Sales of the ATS have sucked compared to those models, and that's where Cadillac's younger demographic is going to be buying.

Trying to sell the upper line cars to young people isn't going to work because we simply can't afford them, so I wouldn't worry too much if the demographic for the CTS, Escalade, or CT6 is older. Its just so critical to get my generation buying the ATS so eventually there will be a following for the more expensive cars.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
If I could afford a ctsv I'd totally rock it. Especially over any sauerkraut burner.

Until then I'm happy with my 4.9 =)

Cads are like vettes old people with taste who can afford and appreciate the cars for what they are get em.

Hipsters go for those other cars. Not saying I wouldn't drive an m5 if someone gave me one. But I'd much rather drive American especially at the price point.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
"The only difference between men and boys ........
Is the price of their toys."

Aging customers ??? So only juveniles drive BMW, Jaguar, MB, Lexus, Maserati, Ferrari ??? ........... and in CF we have our fair share of young CTS and -V drivers and modders. Build a cross section of sporty performance cars as well as barges - I prefer the sporty performance versions, but other grandfathers/grandmothers prefer the barges. My wife would not be caught dead in a Fleetwood Brougham (or an SRX :sneaky:) - and she's 74 - just left for the nursery in the F-150.

Economics plays a part, too. I can easily walk into just about any car dealership and write a check for the full out-the-door price of most cars. Could I at 21 ?? hell, no !
100% agree.

----------

These are just the data reported by the company. The average age of caddy is significantly higher that the other brands. You can look it up. The German brands all have a mean buyer that's at least 10 years younger than Caddy.
That's because it is what their yuppie parents brought them up on. It's all they know.

----------

So what is so wrong with building a product with a target market of older folks? As Sub said, they have the money.

I just don't understand this attitude of "only older people are buying our product - we're failing!"
If you look at Cadillac's current line up you'll see a much more diversified group of cars than Cadillac has ever produced.
Cadillac wants to reach out to all age groups, but is focusing much of their attention on the younger generation at this time.

----------

When I was a kid, it seemed that only old people drove Cadillacs. Now, that was the point-of-veiw of a kid. I can't say how accurate it was. It was part of the reason I wanted one as a youngster - the people I respected, who had "made it" in life, drove Cadillacs. I didn't care about living a luxury lifestyle, but I wanted the car! I think a lot of people who grew up with me saw the Cadillac in their grandparent's driveway and thought the exact opposite of what I did, that it was extremely uncool to drive an "old people" car. When you grow up with anything burned into your conscience, it's hard to shake it. So I think it make sense that many people have this idea about Cadillac, and only Cadillac can change their mind.

It might take another generation or two of young drivers to alter this perception about Cadillac. I hope that they can stay vital long enough to make it to that point in time!
As a kid I would never have considered a Cadillac. However, after attending a Barrett Jackson auction about 5 years ago and being introduced to the CTS V, a few months later I owned my first Cadillac! :)

----------

I see plenty of old people driving E and S class Benz, 5 and 7 series BMW, and just about any model Lexus. Now all of those brands have a lot of younger(ie 30 to 40 year olds) driving 3 series, C class, the IS350, etc. The IS and 3 series are considered very hip and sporty by my generation, and this is where Cadillac is falling on its face IMO. Sales of the ATS have sucked compared to those models, and that's where Cadillac's younger demographic is going to be buying.

Trying to sell the upper line cars to young people isn't going to work because we simply can't afford them, so I wouldn't worry too much if the demographic for the CTS, Escalade, or CT6 is older. Its just so critical to get my generation buying the ATS so eventually there will be a following for the more expensive cars.
You're right about ATS sales. They aren't lousy because of the car though. It's because GM/Cadillac overshot the price point that many young folks would be willing to pay.

----------

If I could afford a ctsv I'd totally rock it. Especially over any sauerkraut burner.

Until then I'm happy with my 4.9 =)

Cads are like vettes old people with taste who can afford and appreciate the cars for what they are get em.

Hipsters go for those other cars. Not saying I wouldn't drive an m5 if someone gave me one. But I'd much rather drive American especially at the price point.
There are plenty of great used V's out there to be had! I absolutely love mine and would never trade it for any Euro car! :)

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Honestly, the only new caddy I'd buy would be an ATS, but they are a bit out of my price range for an "entry level" luxury car. If they ever made a Buick on the same platform, I'd probably pick it over the caddy (get 90 percent of the car for 70 percent of the price)

·
Registered
2011 SRX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bigm57ict said:
So what is so wrong with building a product with a target market of older folks? As Sub said, they have the money. I just don't understand this attitude of "only older people are buying our product - we're failing!"
Nothing is wrong per se. It's just that people eventually die. And when you look at Cadillacs sales, you see a subtle decline each year.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Nothing is wrong per se. It's just that people eventually die. And when you look at Cadillacs sales, you see a subtle decline each year.
B.S.! Yes, people die. No, that has nothing to do with any decline in sales of any Cadillac model.

·
Registered
2011 SRX
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vfaninva said:
B.S.! Yes, people die. No, that has nothing to do with any decline in sales of any Cadillac model.
Then how do you explain their loss of sales, that seem to be happening at the exact same time as their average age keeps increasing? I'm seriously interested in your theory. Are those two things just a conincidence?

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Then how do you explain their loss of sales, that seem to be happening at the exact same time as their average age keeps increasing? I'm seriously interested in your theory. Are those two things just a conincidence?
Seriously? You expect me to debunk your cockamamie assertion?!
How about you put down the National Enquirer and provide some factual evidence to back up your ridiculous claim.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
...um...you do realize that as people age and die other people replace them.....?
It is not like all 70 year old die out and there are none.:suspect:

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUXURY II
191 Posts
Guess I have a Great Grand-pa Cadillac 2008 DTS. I like the idea when I drive my little ones somewhere they are in a car with a crash rating of 5. I also drove a 1972 SDV when my kids we young, some folks like big safe cars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts