Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2002 escalade, 2006 sts
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the Granatelli mass airflow sensor on their Escalade ??

rodcole1

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't have experience with their products, but the Granatelli Brothers seem to have a certain touch for American iron. I would not be surprised if they are well worth the cost.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I first bought the Granatelli Mass Airflow Sensor and did notice a slight difference in performance, when I really noticed a greater increase in performance was when I used this sensor and the Predator programmer.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I personally dyno tested 4 GMS MAF's on my Z06, 2 of them lost power and the other 2 made no more power. Sport Truck magazine did a test on a Chevy truck and they reported a loss of 8 rwhp, the test was done in the magizine last summer.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I dont see how changing the MAF would get you any more power.....

·
Registered
84 Coupe; 80 Le Cab; 85 Fleetwood Coupe; 03 ESV; 04 Deville
134 Posts
I installed a K+N filter kit on my 00 escalade and it tended to bog a bit - and make more noise than power...later I installed the Gran. mass airflow sensor, and it improved the bog/hesitation

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Bet that the K/N caused the MAF to become dirtied..... Therefore reading incorrectly...

·
Registered
84 Coupe; 80 Le Cab; 85 Fleetwood Coupe; 03 ESV; 04 Deville
134 Posts
either that or the factory MAS couldn't read the new airflow from the kit making it worse! The Gran MAS prob brought it back!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
:bonkers: tried one on my 04 ecalade/ feltgood/ but set off my
check enginelight/ no help from granatelli tried 3 times to reset
sent it home :rant2:

·
Registered
2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS
2,860 Posts
mass airflow sensors are one thing i don't mess with. the gains are minimal, but the chances of screwing something up are greater.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recommend you DON'T BUY the Granatelli Mass Airflow sensor at all. Had it installed in my 2002 Escalade and it throws Check Engine lights. I purchased a Diablo programmer that can also read the codes and also had my mechanic check and recheck the system.

Turns out that the Granatelli causes the engine to think things are running too lean and even the 5% adjustment to the fuel/air mix you can make with the Diablo isn't enough to stop the Check Engine lights.

Made two calls to Granatelli and the are NO HELP WHATSOEVER and played dumb with something like "this behaviour is unusual" which is crap as everyone seems to have the same problem.

Just installed the stock airflow sensor back in and everything is fine now (still have an aftermarket cold air intake but just using the stock MAF).

·
Registered
Escalade Platinum 2012 & 2015, 2016 CTS-V
48 Posts
I recommend you DON'T BUY the Granatelli Mass Airflow sensor at all. Had it installed in my 2002 Escalade and it throws Check Engine lights. I purchased a Diablo programmer that can also read the codes and also had my mechanic check and recheck the system.

Turns out that the Granatelli causes the engine to think things are running too lean and even the 5% adjustment to the fuel/air mix you can make with the Diablo isn't enough to stop the Check Engine lights.

Made two calls to Granatelli and the are NO HELP WHATSOEVER and played dumb with something like "this behavior is unusual" which is crap as everyone seems to have the same problem.

Just installed the stock airflow sensor back in and everything is fine now (still have an aftermarket cold air intake but just using the stock MAF).
Crazy - Granatelli helped to co found the Diablo Predator Flashtool - For sure they work great together. Granatelli MAF sensors are also 50 state legal meaning the are calibrated and accurate to within 1/10 of 1% Lastly they have a 90% no questions asked warranty. If our tech guys could not help you (odd to me) they could have and should offered you a refund I full. As owner, I am super sorry to hear this info

----------

I personally dyno tested 4 GMS MAF's on my Z06, 2 of them lost power and the other 2 made no more power. Sport Truck magazine did a test on a Chevy truck and they reported a loss of 8 rwhp, the test was done in the magizine last summer.
Sport Truck never lost power :) Factually Sport Truck picked up over 30hp with a Granatelli MAF, Intake and Ignition wires. Here is another from that era

http://granatellimotorsports.com/images/catalogpdf/5453b45a4d5e5f2Chevy High Performance Article.pdf

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,311 Posts
The thread has been dead for 12 years - and a so-called "performance MAF" is a huge load of snake oil and hype. Caveat Emptor.

I diddled with a JET "performance MAF" in the 2002 STS. For 2,000 miles of local and long range Interstate driving. All it did was cost about 0.7 mpg in fuel economy decrease, set fuel/air codes, and introduced a midrange stumble upon WOT application.

If anyone wants a 2000 - 2004 Northstar "performance" MAF it's on the shelf. But not worth 5 cents. You can see how the "performance" MAF was butchered to "increase airflow". It was NOT electrically altered - no changes were made to the heated resistors or the IAC thermistor values.

Troops, if you buy so-called "performance parts" for any of these cars, demand a set of before and after dyno runs for YOUR car and equipment setup - if you can't get them, walk.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't see how changing the MAF would get you any more power.....
Historically aftermarket Intakes make the truck sound cool under hard acceleration but cause turbulence for the MAF. The Granatelli MAF is still the only aftermarket MAF sensor that is calibrated for larger (higher airflow) intake systems. I know I am 12 year late to this dance but it still kills me to see it - We stand behind the product 1000%

https://www.granatellimotorsports.com/index.php?p=videos&req_mode=video_gallery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI58S2d_2VM

----------

The thread has been dead for 12 years - and a so-called "performance MAF" is a huge load of snake oil and hype. Caveat Emptor.

I diddled with a JET "performance MAF" in the 2002 STS. For 2,000 miles of local and long range Interstate driving. All it did was cost about 0.7 mpg in fuel economy decrease, set fuel/air codes, and introduced a midrange stumble upon WOT application.

If anyone wants a 2000 - 2004 Northstar "performance" MAF it's on the shelf. But not worth 5 cents. You can see how the "performance" MAF was butchered to "increase airflow". It was NOT electrically altered - no changes were made to the heated resistors or the IAC thermistor values.

Troops, if you buy so-called "performance parts" for any of these cars, demand a set of before and after dyno runs for YOUR car and equipment setup - if you can't get them, walk.
Sport Truck never lost power :) Factually Sport Truck picked up over 30hp with a Granatelli MAF, Intake and Ignition wires. Here is another from that era

http://granatellimotorsports.com/ima... Article.pdf

I am not here to bash JET although...I can say and agree with you taking a stock MAF and gutting it does not make for a high Perf part. Hence why they meter in your pic was never 50 state legal. JET was merely chasing Granatelli business. We should not be compared in all fairness. Watch our video above it shows why we are who we are. To say our meters don't work is to say the GM meter from the factory from 2000 forward does not work because Granatelli and DELPHI worked in concert to develop this product. We are Engineering focussed - Always have been

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,327 Posts
Crazy - Granatelli helped to co found the Diablo Predator Flashtool - For sure they work great together. Granatelli MAF sensors are also 50 state legal meaning the are calibrated and accurate to within 1/10 of 1% Lastly they have a 90% no questions asked warranty. If our tech guys could not help you (odd to me) they could have and should offered you a refund I full. As owner, I am super sorry to hear this info

----------

http://granatellimotorsports.com/images/catalogpdf/5453b45a4d5e5f2Chevy High Performance Article.pdf
Thanks for the article.

I may buy a Granatelli MAS sensor since I did upgrade my air intake ,air filter,and spark plugs.

I will buy their spark plugs wires after reading about the gains over stock wires.

I have Denso spark plug wires and Bosch Iridium spark plugs gaped at .40, and the engine does seems much stronger than with the stock plugs/wires.

The article explains why I feel such a big difference in performance from such a simple upgrade, because stock GM ignition parts are crap.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the article.

I may buy a Granatelli MAS sensor since I did upgrade my air intake ,air filter,and spark plugs.

I will buy their spark plugs wires after reading about the gains over stock wires.

I have Denso spark plug wires and Bosch Iridium spark plugs gaped at .40, and the engine does seems much stronger than with the stock plugs/wires.

The article explains why I feel such a big difference in performance from such a simple upgrade, because stock GM ignition parts are crap.
Happy to help

·
Administrator
70,311 Posts
We are Engineering focussed - Always have been[/QUOTE]

Does that include the Granatelli/STP advertising claims flap with the Federal Trade Commission?

·
Registered
48 Posts
We are Engineering focussed - Always have been

Does that include the Granatelli/STP advertising claims flap with the Federal Trade Commission?[/QUOTE]

Every crowd has a tough guy :) Happy Holidays to you as well. Please send me a link to what you are referring to. I am only 50 and you must be going back to before I was born. Ralph Nadir the idiot made uneducated comments about STP but eat his words shortly after. Granatelli went on to sell STP and start Tune Up Masters a chain of 261 tune up shops in the western states - We surpassed STP by year 4 proving Granatelli was no fluke. I am proud of my father and what he created. A true pioneer in the industry

·
Administrator
70,311 Posts
Nothing against Andy Granatelli - a true icon in the racing and parts world.

Not playing the "tough guy" card either, but have been in the engine and gearhead business since 1954. Here's one link, and it would appear that your father was on the fringe of STP when the lawsuits were settled. I well remember the hand-wringing flaps in the car magazines of the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STP_(motor_oil_company)

A Google or Bing search turns up other references.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts