Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Deville DHS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a complete swing in the dark but, a guy here at work figured out a way on his older style northstar think its a 97-98 engine.
Basically he was able to get around the slow acceleration or what i call the grampy throttle, what Im more or less looking for is to
have my 00 dhs throttle respond quicker than it does. It feels so limited at times, going up in incline you have to almost put it to the floor
to get to downshift to get more power. Is this jus something completey cracked out or is it possible to do?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
What are you talking about ???

Under ALL conditions, even in the VIN Y DHS, the throttle response should be crisp and clean, with no hesitation or stalling, nowhere near maximum gas pedal needed except to squash a ricer or go straight up the side of a mountain.

A downshift on an incline is dependent on speed, load, gear, and acceleration demand. If your transmission is operating properly you should have 4 distinct gears plus TCC (at over 43 mph, road load), and TCC drops out with very slight throttle pressure and again engages when engine load drops to normal cruise conditions.

Time for a complete fuel system, throttlebody, air filter, engine cleaning. 2000 ??? How old are the spark plugs and boots ??

When was the last time you took the car to the boonies and absolutely ran the flying dog snot out of it ??? Grampy-driven city cars are slow cars. Just like someone who never goes to the gym.

Please study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar. It was written by one of the GM Powertrain Engineers who developed the Northstar system.

Do you trust your car, tires, brakes and driving ability ? Get to a long deserted stretch of road, stop, put the gear stick in 1 and leave it there. All clear ? Punch it - full throttle - and drive the car straight up to fuel cutoff - 112 mph for your car. The transmission will shift normally - you'll probably just get into 3rd when fuel cutoff begins. It's a speed limiter and you can't change it. With the 4T80E gear shift in some gear that says "This is my preferred gear" and the transmission will try to stay there - unless safe operating conditions are exceeded, then it will shift up or down depending on conditions. No, you don't run around at high rpm in 1 or 2 all day - only for fun and games.

Bottom line: No way to "increase throttle response" except by proper maintenance and operation. No aftermarket speed parts, either. No air filters, no intakes, no cutesy engine parts.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
This might be a complete swing in the dark but, a guy here at work figured out a way on his older style northstar think its a 97-98 engine.
There is no difference between the response of "an older style Northstar" and a '97 - '98.

Basically he was able to get around the slow acceleration or what i call the grampy throttle, what Im more or less looking for is to
have my 00 dhs throttle respond quicker than it does. It feels so limited at times, going up in incline you have to almost put it to the floor
to get to downshift to get more power.
Something is not right with the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts