Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok..... i've done the homework, read the manual about 3 times.....the manual tells us how to "activate" and "deactivate" grade braking by using the "tow haul" button. I understand all of that.....AND, I do understand what "grade braking" means as I have used that concept on previous vehicles for many years.... manually downshifting to a lower gear to help lower the speed of the vehicle as you descend a grade. All that being said..... i don't seem to understand WHEN the Escalade does this automatically , OR how you know that it is actually doing something ..... have coasted down some pretty good hills and noticed nothing different......any clues on this???? The manual does not say under what conditions the system activates or anything like that....just tells you how to "turn if off" if you don't want it. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
It recognizes it automatically and a pop up will show saying grade braking activated.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
230 Posts
yes I see and feel it come on as well. simply driving down a moderate grade with my foot off the accelerator will active it. I can feel it mechanically and there is a pop up window in the instrument panel that will tell you the system has been activated.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes I see and feel it come on as well. simply driving down a moderate grade with my foot off the accelerator will active it. I can feel it mechanically and there is a pop up window in the instrument panel that will tell you the system has been activated.
Ok.... I need to watch for this....haven't seen it , have been down some pretty good grades.....maybe have an issue.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade, 2015 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
81 Posts
I can't figure out it's logic either. Some days it comes on and some days it doesn't going down the same hill. I do find if you tap the trailer haul button on then off it comes on every time while going down hill. I have the tach in my HUD so I see the jump in RPM as it downshifts. I live in NH so there are lots of hills and I do see the message coming on frequently.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
NYTFLT said:
I can't figure out it's logic either. Some days it comes on and some days it doesn't going down the same hill. I do find if you tap the trailer haul button on then off it comes on every time while going down hill. I have the tach in my HUD so I see the jump in RPM as it downshifts. I live in NH so there are lots of hills and I do see the message coming on frequently.
It's grade logic.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's grade logic.
"grade logic"???:rolleyes:

----------

I have tried coasting down some pretty significant hills and I don't see anything in the info screen, don't feel any "downshift", etc. .......just doesn't seem to be there, although when I follow the info in the manual on how to initialize or shut it off, I get the "Grade braking activated "or "Grade braking off" msgs.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
blit184 said:
"grade logic"???:rolleyes: ---------- I have tried coasting down some pretty significant hills and I don't see anything in the info screen, don't feel any "downshift", etc. .......just doesn't seem to be there, although when I follow the info in the manual on how to initialize or shut it off, I get the "Grade braking activated "or "Grade braking off" msgs.
That's it! Grade braking activated.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's it! Grade braking activated.
Yes, but I only get that message when I press the and hold the tow/haul button......in other words, when I turn the system on. I have never seen the message come up when descending a hill....the vehicle continues to roll on down the hill with no "slowing downshifts or whatever."

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
blit184 said:
Yes, but I only get that message when I press the and hold the tow/haul button......in other words, when I turn the system on. I have never seen the message come up when descending a hill....the vehicle continues to roll on down the hill with no "slowing downshifts or whatever."
Maybe you live in a relatively flat environment. I don't see it in michigan but when I'm in arkansas where we have steep hills I see the warning pop up without the tow button.

·
Registered
Escalade
6 Posts
I've driven many GM trucks over the years and have a pretty good understanding of Grade Braking.

When driving without cruise control active Grade Braking downshifts only occur with your foot on the brake. If coasting downhill without your foot on the brake Grade Braking will not occur. With cruise control on, Grade Braking occurs without your foot on the brake (naturally because the brake pedal would cancel cruise control).
Grade braking is tuned to be more responsive when in Tow Haul then when not in Tow Haul, whether with cruise control active or not.

When a Grade Braking downshift (not in cruise) the transmission will upshift again when you step into the accelerator pedal. When a Grade Braking downshift occurs with cruise control on the transmission will upshift again on its own without stepping into the accelerator pedal.

Grade Braking is enabled every time you start your vehicle but the Tow Haul switch can be used to disable Grade Braking by holding the switch for 5 seconds or so. A message displays indicating Grade Braking has been disabled. It can be re-enabled either by holding the Tow Haul switch again for 5 seconds or by shutting the vehicle off and restarting the vehicle.

When a Grade Braking downshift occurs a message will display in the IP. According to the owner's manual it reads Grade Braking Active. The message only is displayed on the first Grade Braking downshift after the vehicle is started. There could be many subsequent Grade Braking downshifts after the one for which the message is not displayed.

I'll copy a few sections of the owner's manual:

Grade Braking is not available when
Range Selection Mode is active.
See Tow/Haul Mode on page 9-31.

So it's not available when in the M position.

GRADE BRAKING OFF
This message displays when grade
braking has been disabled with the
Tow/Haul Mode button on the end of
the shift lever. See Tow/Haul Mode
on page 9-31, Automatic
Transmission on page 9-27, and
Cruise Control on page 9-41.
GRADE BRAKING ON
braking has been enabled with the
Tow/Haul Mode button on the end of
the shift lever. See Tow/Haul Mode
on page 9-31, Automatic
GRADE BRAKING ACTIVE
braking has been activated while
driving on downhill grades. This
message will only appear the first
time the feature is activated in an
ignition cycle. See Tow/Haul Mode
on page 9-31, Automatic

Normal Mode Grade Braking
This mode is enabled when the
vehicle is started, but is not enabled
in Range Selection Mode. It assists
in maintaining desired vehicle
speeds when driving on downhill
grades by using the engine and
transmission to slow the vehicle.
The first time the system engages
for each ignition cycle, a DIC
message will be displayed. See
Transmission Messages on
page 5-43.
To disable or enable Normal Mode
Grade Braking within the current
ignition cycle, press and hold the
Tow/Haul button for five seconds.
When the button is released, the
requested mode change is made.
A DIC message displays. See
Transmission Messages on
page 5-43.
For other forms of grade braking,
see Tow/Haul Mode on page 9-31
and Cruise Control on page 9-41.

Tow/Haul Mode Grade Braking
Tow/Haul Mode Grade Braking is
only enabled while the Tow/Haul
Mode is selected and the vehicle is
not in the Range Selection Mode.
See “Tow/Haul Mode” listed
previously and Manual Mode on
page 9-30. Tow/Haul Mode Grade
Braking assists in maintaining
desired vehicle speeds when driving
on downhill grades by using the
engine and transmission to slow the
vehicle.
To disable or enable Tow/Haul
Grade Braking within the current
ignition cycle, press and hold the
Tow/Haul button for five seconds.
When the button is released, the
requested mode change is made.
A DIC message is displayed. See
Transmission Messages on
page 5-43.
See Towing Equipment on
page 9-77.
For other forms of grade braking,
see Automatic Transmission on
page 9-27 and Cruise Control on
page 9-41.

While going downhill vehicles with a
six-speed automatic transmission
have Cruise Grade Braking to help
maintain driver selected speed.
Cruise Grade Braking is enabled
when the vehicle is started and
cruise control is active. It is not
enabled in Range Selection Mode.
It assists in maintaining driver
selected speed when driving on
downhill grades by using the engine
and transmission to slow the
vehicle.
To disable and enable Cruise Grade
Braking for the current ignition key
cycle, press and hold the Tow/Haul
button for five seconds. A Driver
Information Center (DIC) message
displays. See Transmission
Messages on page 5-43.
For other forms of Grade Braking,
see Automatic Transmission on
page 9-27, and Tow/Haul Mode on
page 9-31.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
InertiaFaze said:
I've driven many GM trucks over the years and have a pretty good understanding of Grade Braking. When driving without cruise control active Grade Braking downshifts only occur with your foot on the brake. If coasting downhill without your foot on the brake Grade Braking will not occur. With cruise control on, Grade Braking occurs without your foot on the brake (naturally because the brake pedal would cancel cruise control). Grade braking is tuned to be more responsive when in Tow Haul then when not in Tow Haul, whether with cruise control active or not. When a Grade Braking downshift (not in cruise) the transmission will upshift again when you step into the accelerator pedal. When a Grade Braking downshift occurs with cruise control on the transmission will upshift again on its own without stepping into the accelerator pedal. Grade Braking is enabled every time you start your vehicle but the Tow Haul switch can be used to disable Grade Braking by holding the switch for 5 seconds or so. A message displays indicating Grade Braking has been disabled. It can be re-enabled either by holding the Tow Haul switch again for 5 seconds or by shutting the vehicle off and restarting the vehicle. When a Grade Braking downshift occurs a message will display in the IP. According to the owner's manual it reads Grade Braking Active. The message only is displayed on the first Grade Braking downshift after the vehicle is started. There could be many subsequent Grade Braking downshifts after the one for which the message is not displayed. I'll copy a few sections of the owner's manual: Grade Braking is not available when Range Selection Mode is active. See Tow/Haul Mode on page 9-31. So it's not available when in the M position. GRADE BRAKING OFF This message displays when grade braking has been disabled with the Tow/Haul Mode button on the end of the shift lever. See Tow/Haul Mode on page 9-31, Automatic Transmission on page 9-27, and Cruise Control on page 9-41. GRADE BRAKING ON This message displays when grade braking has been enabled with the Tow/Haul Mode button on the end of the shift lever. See Tow/Haul Mode on page 9-31, Automatic Transmission on page 9-27, and Cruise Control on page 9-41. GRADE BRAKING ACTIVE This message displays when grade braking has been activated while driving on downhill grades. This message will only appear the first time the feature is activated in an ignition cycle. See Tow/Haul Mode on page 9-31, Automatic Transmission on page 9-27, and Cruise Control on page 9-41. Normal Mode Grade Braking This mode is enabled when the vehicle is started, but is not enabled in Range Selection Mode. It assists in maintaining desired vehicle speeds when driving on downhill grades by using the engine and transmission to slow the vehicle. The first time the system engages for each ignition cycle, a DIC message will be displayed. See Transmission Messages on page 5-43. To disable or enable Normal Mode Grade Braking within the current ignition cycle, press and hold the Tow/Haul button for five seconds. When the button is released, the requested mode change is made. A DIC message displays. See Transmission Messages on page 5-43. For other forms of grade braking, see Tow/Haul Mode on page 9-31 and Cruise Control on page 9-41. Tow/Haul Mode Grade Braking Tow/Haul Mode Grade Braking is only enabled while the Tow/Haul Mode is selected and the vehicle is not in the Range Selection Mode. See “Tow/Haul Mode” listed previously and Manual Mode on page 9-30. Tow/Haul Mode Grade Braking assists in maintaining desired vehicle speeds when driving on downhill grades by using the engine and transmission to slow the vehicle. To disable or enable Tow/Haul Grade Braking within the current ignition cycle, press and hold the Tow/Haul button for five seconds. When the button is released, the requested mode change is made. A DIC message is displayed. See Transmission Messages on page 5-43. See Towing Equipment on page 9-77. For other forms of grade braking, see Automatic Transmission on page 9-27 and Cruise Control on page 9-41. While going downhill vehicles with a six-speed automatic transmission have Cruise Grade Braking to help maintain driver selected speed. Cruise Grade Braking is enabled when the vehicle is started and cruise control is active. It is not enabled in Range Selection Mode. It assists in maintaining driver selected speed when driving on downhill grades by using the engine and transmission to slow the vehicle. To disable and enable Cruise Grade Braking for the current ignition key cycle, press and hold the Tow/Haul button for five seconds. A Driver Information Center (DIC) message displays. See Transmission Messages on page 5-43. For other forms of Grade Braking, see Automatic Transmission on page 9-27, and Tow/Haul Mode on page 9-31.
Do you have the 2015i? Because grade braking pop up saying its activated occurs not on start up but while driving the vehicle in auto and not in tow/haul mode when descending from a hill. My slightly graded driveway, the brake assist pop up appears even without activating it. Somehow the new escalades have an inclinometer.

·
Registered
Escalade
6 Posts
Yep, Brake Assist is different than Grade Braking. Grade Braking helps you maintain your desired vehicle speed without putting a lot of heat into the brakes (not at driveway speeds). Brake Assist (which I don't have much experience with) works at driveway speeds.

----------

Yep, Brake Assist is different than Grade Braking. Grade Braking helps you maintain your desired vehicle speed without putting a lot of heat into the brakes (not at driveway speeds). Brake Assist (which I don't have much experience with) works at driveway speeds.
Oh, and also, about your "activated" point. There is a difference between Grade Braking ON (think "enabled", capable of activating) and Grade Braking ACTIVE. Grade Braking ACTIVE means it has actually commanded a downshift to help you maintain your desired vehicle speed without having to use the brakes too much. And to clarify another point, Grade Braking is ON ("enabled") when you start the vehicle, there is no message at that time telling you Grade Braking ON, it's just ON by default. The only time you see the Grade Braking ON message is if/when you turn Grade Braking OFF (with the Tow/Haul switch) and then turn Grade Braking back ON.

----------

----------

Oh, and also, about your "activated" point. There is a difference between Grade Braking ON (think "enabled", capable of activating) and Grade Braking ACTIVE. Grade Braking ACTIVE means it has actually commanded a downshift to help you maintain your desired vehicle speed without having to use the brakes too much. And to clarify another point, Grade Braking is ON ("enabled") when you start the vehicle, there is no message at that time telling you Grade Braking ON, it's just ON by default. The only time you see the Grade Braking ON message is if/when you turn Grade Braking OFF (with the Tow/Haul switch) and then turn Grade Braking back ON.
And one last thing, the message will occur in Tow/Haul if the first Grade Braking downshift after you start the vehicle is in Tow/Haul.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
InertiaFaze said:
-------- And one last thing, the message will occur in Tow/Haul if the first Grade Braking downshift after you start the vehicle is in Tow/Haul.
Mine appears even without tow/haul activated as long as the criteria of descending a hill is met.

·
Registered
Escalade
6 Posts
Yes, that is consistent with what I said above. if your foot is on the brake you don't have to be in tow/haul mode to get a downshift, but tow/haul mode is tuned differently to be more responsive then when not in tow/haul mode.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade, 2015 SRX, 2017 XT5
100 Posts
I live adjacent to the crest of a State highway which is marked with "grade percentage" signs. In one direction the grade is 10%, and in the other it is 8%. The posted speed is 40 MPH, and my system will regularly activate if I am driving over 45 MPH with no brake pedal applied.

When I first got my drivers license in the 1960's, the learner's manual stated that on a steep grade one should not "ride" the brakes all the way down a hill, but instead downshift to allow engine braking. Interestingly, the Connecticut manual today no longer has this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts