Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has already been covered, please pardon me if I am playing johnny come lately.

I was just reading a interesting article on the web, here are the first 2 paragraphs:

>>>>WASHINGTON -- Mazda Motor Corp. said Monday it had halted the sale and production of the 2006 Mazda5 crossover because a potential heat buildup in the exhaust system could lead to a fire.

The government, meanwhile, said it was investigating reports that the large sun roof on the Cadillac SRX has shattered while driving at highway speeds, showering passengers with glass.<<<<

The article came from here:

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-mazda-recall,0,1289354.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

·
Registered
458 Posts
"Adler said the automaker was unaware of the concerns before the government's decision to investigate and was cooperating with the inquiry."

Sure, knew nothing about it...

SYROB

·
Registered
17 Posts
GM's claim that they knew nothng about this until the NHTSA contacted them is pure BS. I spent hours on the phone with Cadillac's Customer Service and Product Allegation group, and was treated like a criminal. It is no wonder why GM's debt rating is now junk status, it matches the service and products they provide.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Henry01 said:
GM's claim that they knew nothng about this until the NHTSA contacted them is pure BS. I spent hours on the phone with Cadillac's Customer Service and Product Allegation group, and was treated like a criminal. It is no wonder why GM's debt rating is now junk status, it matches the service and products they provide.
This happened to you?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The ultraview is safety glass, its not tempred and going to bring shards of death upon you- safety glass is like little pebble like stuff--not saying that it is not a good thing - its obviously bad

·
Registered
131 Posts
From the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web site:
NHTSA Action Number : PE05052
NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make : CADILLAC Model: SRX
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Year : 2004
Component : VISIBILITY:SUN ROOF ASSEMBLY
Date Investigation Opened : September 22, 2005
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION HAS RECEIVED FOUR CONSUMER COMPLAINTS ALLEGING THAT THE LARGE ULTRAVIEW SUN ROOF GLASS ASSEMBLY SHATTERED WHILE THE VEHICLE WAS BEING DRIVEN AT HIGHWAY SPEED. THERE ARE 10 REPORTED INJURIES CONSISTING OF MINOR CUTS AND SCRAPES TO THE HAND, ARM AND LEG REGIONS. IN A TELEPHONE INTERVIEW WITH ONE COMPLAINANT (ODI #10133823), THE COMPLAINANT AND THE FIVE OCCUPANTS WERE "SHOWERED" WITH SMALL FRAGMENTS OF GLASS PIECES. THEY WENT TO A LOCAL HOSPITAL AND WERE TREATED FOR THEIR MINOR CUTS. ANOTHER COMPLAINANT (ODI #10133342) STATED THAT HIS WIFE AND CHILDREN WERE INJURED WHILE "BRUSHING OFF" THE GLASS PIECES FROM THEIR ARMS AND FEET. HE ALSO STATED THAT, WITHOUT WARNING, THE GLASS HAD SHATTERED AND WAS ACCOMPANIED BY A LOUD STARTLING "BOOM" SOUND. ALL COMPLAINANTS REPORTED THAT THEIR VEHICLES WERE BEING DRIVEN ON OPEN ROADS AT THE TIME OF THE INCIDENTS. THE ULTRAVIEW SUN ROOF ASSEMBLY BECAME STANDARD EQUIPMENT IN MY 2005 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE V8 ENGINE MODEL WHILE STILL AVAILABLE AS AN UPGRADED OPTION ON V6 ENGINE MODEL. THEREFORE, THE ACTUAL NUMBER OF VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THIS ULTRAVIEW SUN ROOF MAY BE SIGNIFICANTLY LESS THAN THE ESTIMATED 44,000 VEHICLES PRODUCED.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Henry01

You are so bitter, if you think Cadillac and the SRX are in your words "Junk" why do you stick around here? I believe you have made your point.
I doubt your opinion of Cadillac will influence people here in any way, I am certainly not rushing to trade in my SRX (With Ultra View) and I doubt others are either.
According to the above article there have only been 4 complaints which puts you in a very small minority.
I personally have had nothing but very good service from GM dealers in general, not to say that I have never had a problem but when I did the problem was resolved calmly and in a respectful manner.
Not to minimize what happened to you but personally I have seen enough Cadillac bashing here.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Xadion said:
The ultraview is safety glass, its not tempred and going to bring shards of death upon you- safety glass is like little pebble like stuff--not saying that it is not a good thing - its obviously bad
Uh, tempered = safety glass

SYROB

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
We have 29,000 miles on our '04 SRX and so far so good. I will be watching this very carefully as I have 3 youngsters in our SRX. In the meantime, sunshade down at all times.

**Seems strange, maybe "anti" GM types:shhh: are planting the story ! After all, the pace Cadillac is selling car's they will overtake Lexus for the number one spot within a year....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Uh, tempered = safety glass

SYROB
Safety glass is used in automobiles. Safety glass is something many of us look through every time we ride inside a vehicle or enter a public building. There are two kinds of safety glass:

Laminated

Tempered

Thats from the other thread, and that is what I am meaning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you had my experience you would be bitter also. My children were injured by shattered glass in a car that had only 600 miles on it. The reason I participate in this thread is to warn others so they do not experience the same unfortunate event, or the same lack of courtesy and respect by Cadillac and GM. I also continue to read this thread to see if others have the same experience and I also track the NHTSA progress as my experience is one of those reported. My so called "Cadillac bashing" is not unwarranted, based on my experience with both the product and the company. Why are you so offended by my comments?

·
Registered
458 Posts
DG2 said:
**Seems strange, maybe "anti" GM types:shhh: are planting the story ! After all, the pace Cadillac is selling car's they will overtake Lexus for the number one spot within a year....
Funny thing DG2, is that some will think you are serious and not get your pun...

SYROB

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
Henry01 said:
If you had my experience you would be bitter also. My children were injured by shattered glass in a car that had only 600 miles on it. The reason I participate in this thread is to warn others so they do not experience the same unfortunate event, or the same lack of courtesy and respect by Cadillac and GM. I also continue to read this thread to see if others have the same experience and I also track the NHTSA progress as my experience is one of those reported. My so called "Cadillac bashing" is not unwarranted, based on my experience with both the product and the company. Why are you so offended by my comments?
damn dude that sucks, you got pictures of that? i would love to see it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am sorry to hear what happened to you, Henry01. I love my SRX, but a broken glass roof falling down will sure be very scary, not to mention the hazard! was the roof open, ajar, or completely closed when this happened? was the sunshade closed or open?
thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ywrotk2006 said:
I am sorry to hear what happened to you, Henry01. I love my SRX, but a broken glass roof falling down will sure be very scary, not to mention the hazard! was the roof open, ajar, or completely closed when this happened? was the sunshade closed or open?
thanks for sharing.
the Ultraview was closed and the sunshade was open, be careful driving with the sunshade open

1 - 20 of 44 Posts