Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got her tinted today, i have to say they did a really good job, its still got to cure for 3 days but i can tell it is going to last. my gf's bro had his friend that owns a audio and tint shop do it for me. lifetime warrenty and he said to bring it in monday so he can check it over jsut to make sure its at his standards..he works mainly on referals so he wants custys happy.
i got 20% all around.. in ontario its 30% for the front and anything for the back.

any idea what they use babypowder for? my trunk lid was covered in it picked it up and went straight to the carwash lol

oops i spelled expensive wront in the title lol it wont let me eddit it...

also... ive been trying to decide on if i should switch to dual exhaust or get a intake.... i dont really want either for the power..the exhaust is just looks and a little of a grunt maybe but i dont want it loud and the CAI so i dont have to keep buying these overpriced GM filters...but ive blown a lot the last week on my car so i cant do both.... what do you guys think?
also ive been thinking about clear fogs with HIDs but i like my white drl's.

im open to other suggustions of mods. i dont think i want to tint the tails though...kinda like them as is.

Attachments

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
Re: GOT TINT...been a expencive couple weeks

any idea what they use babypowder for? my trunk lid was covered in it picked it up and went straight to the carwash lol
The reason is because it is easier for them to move the rear window tint around on the outside of the car. This is so they can take a heat gun to it and force the curve of the rear window to the tint. The tint is of course normally flat from the package, so they heat it to the outside of the rear window first. And it shouldn't of been baby powder, maybe fabric softener.

How did they do the top part of the rear window? Did they leave the entire tint to the top edge of the window? Or did they put a solid color from the top to about 3 to 4 inches down? Alot of places would put the solid color strip because most tint will NOT stick to those little dots at the top of the window. Their like teflon, don't ask why car makers do that, they all just do.

oops i spelled expensive wront in the title lol it wont let me eddit it...
That wasn't the only this you misspelled. :thepan:

She looks real nice now, though you said you got 20%? It seems a bit light for that, but it could be the angle or something. I had my ex co worker put in 30% in mine a couple of weeks ago, use to work at an install shop. I didn't want to go any darker that 30%, because I didn't want to attract attention from the cops. Since I have illegal color hids, 10,000K color temp to be exact. They are really blue, but too blue for me. I installed after market hids for the highs, and their more like 6,000 or 8,000K. And since I bought LEDs all around for the inside, the low beams look out of place.

I, however, would love to know more about your fog and side marker covers, or tints. Does the light shine through them good enough? And where did you get them? I am over zeolus of those.

KOT

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

tint right to the top and it looks stuck on really good. most of it doesnt even have air bubbles on it.. thats what i was really worried about actually. its a little wavy up at the top right now but should flatten out with heat. we will haveto wait and see how it cures. ill put close ups of the top in 3 days.

any 1 willing to head to Burlington Ont for tint let me know ill give u his info, i paid $200 all in, i was quoted $240+ tax from tint king and $300+tax fromtint master.

ive hears of other places sanding the dots off the car.... what are these dots here for? like really i dont think they do anything....do they?

·
Registered
9,814 Posts

tint right to the top and it looks stuck on really good. most of it doesnt even have air bubbles on it.. thats what i was really worried about actually. its a little wavy up at the top right now but should flatten out with heat. we will haveto wait and see how it cures. ill put close ups of the top in 3 days.

any 1 willing to head to Burlington Ont for tint let me know ill give u his info, i paid $200 all in, i was quoted $240+ tax from tint king and $300+tax fromtint master.

ive hears of other places sanding the dots off the car.... what are these dots here for? like really i dont think they do anything....do they?
You should take a picture now of that wavey stuff you mentioned.

Im sorry you paid so much. I bought my tint from eBay because it was extra thick, the person who put it in was like "what the heck?". It was honestly about two or three times thicker than normal tint. In total, tint and install. Cost me $75. $50 for the tint, and $10 for the installer, and $5 for the use of the shop... lol don't ask why. But I've known the owner for over ten years now, can't believe it's been that long.

Sanding the dots off, really never heard of that. Must be a pain, because you can't even use a blade to take them off.

KOT

·
Registered
Cadillac
630 Posts

looks great!
Love the eyelids, where did u get those?
I would get a dual exhaust system, just makes such a huge diffrence appearance wise.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

looks great!
Love the eyelids, where did u get those?
I would get a dual exhaust system, just makes such a huge diffrence appearance wise.
thanks
I made them.
just lay out the vynal and tape off your cut drsign then try to match it up for he other side. more info just pm me.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You should take a picture now of that wavey stuff you mentioned.

Im sorry you paid so much. I bought my tint from eBay because it was extra thick, the person who put it in was like "what the heck?". It was honestly about two or three times thicker than normal tint. In total, tint and install. Cost me $75. $50 for the tint, and $10 for the installer, and $5 for the use of the shop... lol don't ask why. But I've known the owner for over ten years now, can't believe it's been that long.

Sanding the dots off, really never heard of that. Must be a pain, because you can't even use a blade to take them off.

KOT
the wavy lines are now gone...had it bake in the sun all day.. just a little bit of air left to get out of the dots but barely anything and it doesnt show up on my camera. this is honestly one of the best tint jobs i have seen, but i have to wait a couple days to drop the windows to tell how clean the cuts are.

sounds like you got a bargin with your tint. around here $200 all in is a good deal, i was willing to pay up to $250 all in (cash) for a good quality install job.

i used a blade to take the 4 dots off to flush that was under the onstar antena. its only on the analog onstar system with the antena on the glass not the roof.

just to be clear..i did not sand all the dots on the glass.. i have only heard that someone else did it... i think it was some guy i know....the tint shop couldnt get the tint on good so they sanded it and re-applied fresh tint...ill ask him next time i talk to him.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Looks real good where you get the eyelids??
i made them. also i think 8th day sells similar ones but they are not as aggressive looking.

·
Registered
9,814 Posts

The tint should be a clean cut.Shops now adays uses a computer program to cut the tint. So the only fault that you may see is the tint not lined up through out the whole length of the window. Or one window is off compared to the others.

I also have the digital on star and I have three anitias. One on the front window on the passenger side. And two on the rear window. I am thinking that the two on the back would be for the radio and onstar. While the one in front would be for the key fobs??? Of course the one on top of the roof is for xm radio.

KOT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts