Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Eldorado ETC Collector Series
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my '02 Eldorado Collector Series for a nice ride today, found a nice stretch of a little traveled parkway and opened her up . 130 MPH and the limiter kicked in. I figured this is what it would do seeing it had H rated tires on it when it is was built.
Didn't the earlier ETC's (mid to late 90's come equipped with Z rated rubber and were able to hit 150 MPH?
Wonder what the top speed would have been on my car if it was not electronically limited? It got there to 130 quite rapidly!

Attachments

·
Registered
'93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!
503 Posts
I took my '02 Eldorado Collector Series for a nice ride today, found a nice stretch of a little traveled parkway and opened her up . 130 MPH and the limiter kicked in. I figured this is what it would do seeing it had H rated tires on it when it is was built.
Didn't the earlier ETC's (mid to late 90's come equipped with Z rated rubber and were able to hit 150 MPH?
Wonder what the top speed would have been on my car if it was not electronically limited? It got there to 130 quite rapidly!
Remember, some sections of the roadway are NOT rated for high speed. A little bump can become a launch ramp at those speeds.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Man that car's a beaut.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,133 Posts
:rolleyes: IF you can get ajxtcman to remove the limiter, and IF you buy a set of top line z-tires, and you DON'T have aftermarket wheels, you can compute theoretical top speed (given enough horsepower and torque) by calculating the tire revolutions per mile, engine redline vs. axle revolutions, and factoring in the tire circumference. Convert tire specs to feet and use 5280 feet per mile. Probably something around 156-162 mph, flat, no wind, no tire slip. Vehicle aerodynamics will come into play above 100 or so.........and, as Mountie said, KNOW YOUR ROAD. One lump, bump, pothole at those speeds and you're dead. Carefully sequence torque each wheel stud to 100 ft/lb.

·
Registered
Cadillac Eldorado ETC Collector Series
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:rolleyes: IF you can get ajxtcman to remove the limiter, and IF you buy a set of top line z-tires, and you DON'T have aftermarket wheels, you can compute theoretical top speed (given enough horsepower and torque) by calculating the tire revolutions per mile, engine redline vs. axle revolutions, and factoring in the tire circumference. Convert tire specs to feet and use 5280 feet per mile. Probably something around 156-162 mph, flat, no wind, no tire slip. Vehicle aerodynamics will come into play above 100 or so.........and, as Mountie said, KNOW YOUR ROAD. One lump, bump, pothole at those speeds and you're dead. Carefully sequence torque each wheel stud to 100 ft/lb.
That's about the speed I suspected it would go without being electronically limited. I suspect that Cadillac went to the H rating for better tire wear and surmised that most ETC owners would never miss the 150 MPH capability.
Being a Collector Series model....they should have made an exception.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts