Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to state I got my service manuals. Man those things are crazy.. 3 books totaling 3000+ pages.. Man I cant wait to use these! I also picked up a Seville wrecking list. Just a parts list for most of the Seville. Not sure what book it's from. But there's some interior parts (leather stuff) im looking to replace. Just wondering if anyone's ever used the wreck list? A couple parts ive looked up werent existant. But im happy.

MacK

·
Registered
07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS
453 Posts
Enjoy em. Mine have saved me thousands of dollars. There is very little mystery in the way the vehicles are assembled after the investment in those books. It is a very wise purchase.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the problems ive had in the year and a 1/2 of owning.. I know these manuals will be worth it once my warranty is up. Tons of information in those books.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats! Just be careful what you ask for.:)

I bought mine a year ago and just now pulled it out to browse and get a hint how to remove a trim panel. Worked great!

Kale

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe, 2009 Black Navigator
5,032 Posts
I just ordered my manuel today. I read on this forum after I purchase one that the Haynes/Chilton service manuels are a waste of money and they were sooooooo right. I tried to take it back but it was beaten up too badly from me trying to find even the basic info. I was so pissed.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That .pdf is the same parts list I have. Though mines paper. But yea.. I look forward to many repairs I can do myself.

MacK

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
MacKiNBacK said:
That .pdf is the same parts list I have. Though mines paper. But yea.. I look forward to many repairs I can do myself.

MacK
i bet it is the same. I bought them on ebay and then scanned them into jpg files and then made it into a pdf file for people here to download. :)

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Well I won the auction on ebay and my service manuals cost me $54. I should have it in about 3 or 4 days. I'm looking forward to finding out as much as I can to keep my baby purring with the best of them. I thank all forum members for their info. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I got my service manual yesterday and since then I have been trying to decifer this thing. I can't even find out how to replace my CPS let alone anything else. Trust me I'm not stupid I just figured it would be simpler to just go to what you want to fix. I don't doubt the info is here its just that I see I must take some time to figure out where to look. This book is cramed with info so now I know it will take some patients to find what I'm looking for.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
I hear ya. I would not call these manuals user friendly. I have had cases where I had to go to 2 or 3 different chapters to get all the information I needed, and the drawings in many cases leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
I got the FSM manuals for my 2003 STS on Wednesday. Four manuals. I have the FSM for my 93 Deville and it is much more friendly than these new ones for my 2003 Seveille STS. But, they seem to have so much more information and are more heavily geared to the tech who doesn't have a lot of time on his hands.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I agree the manuals are not user friendly. I have the hardest time looking up error codes from the DIC. It drives me absolutely nuts!! I also get real annoyed when it lists something like "Remove xxx, to do so refer to the secion on removing xxx, then continue on with what you originally wanted to replace". DOH!!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Just to explain the complexity of those manuals, I'll give you a few pointers.
Imagine having to use those every day! That's where I live!

Problem number one, in 1998 GM began using electronic service information, I think at the time of release it was called "SI 2000".
(since then they have dropped the 2000 and now want to call it eSI, but we are all resisting because of an "ESI" experiment gone wrong in the late 90s)
I just call it SI.
With that in mind know that the '97 and back manuals were a dream to use. Information was organized in such a way that I could literally drop the manual and have it fall open to the page I needed!
In 98 with the switch to electronic Service Information they slightly reorganized the information to a "computer friendly format".
Those places where it says "refer to xxxx" are actually hyperlinks on html coded pages that let us click there and go right to the document we need. Not so handy in book form is it?
Over the years I have grown accustomed to using the computerized version but it has taught me where to find things in the paper manuals in the event of a power outage ;)

The first thing you have to get used to is WHERE to find the information you are looking for. The two keys are knowing how the sections are broken down and remembering that GM engineers like to arrange information based on "what something is connected to".

There are I think 10 sections in the manual. Look in the very front of book number one and it will give you a general overview of the main sections. From there you have to learn what system is in what section.

The next part is you have to figure out subsections or "what it's connected to". If you want to find information on something like the inside rear view mirror, you'd look under "stationary glass". And if you want the outside rear view mirrors or the power windows you'd look under "doors" in body and accessories.

Body and accessories is the largest and hardest to use section, Engine is a close second but they break it down a little better.
If you have major problems let me know and I'll guide you a bit.

HTH.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
ewill3rd thanks for the input. I'll accept your offer if I look for something and its 40 minutes later and I still haven't found it. Cheers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a question for you ewill3rd-

When the schematic shows wires in a circuit with a "figure 8" between them does that indicate a twisted pair? I can post a pic if need be...

I agree these manuals are harder to read, but the index is a lot more helpful than the one I have for my 93 Mark.

Kale

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I am not sure I can find something that has the exact thing you are looking for.
Let me check something....Do you have an example? (such as, ABS wiring for a xx model)

... oh I see.... yes if there is a figure 8 looking thing wrapped around two wires next to eachother that means it's a twisted pair.
That helps some types of wires keep from getting "noise" on them. ABS speed sensor wires are a perfect example of that.

There is one thing that looks like a circle around a pair of wires with a black dot tying it to another wire. That means those wires are shielded.

At the very beginning of section 8 there should be something that identifies the symbols used in the schematics for each year.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I imagine HTML version would be the cd-rom version Helm has.. Only thing is it's over $1,000. I havent seen anything like that on ebay.

MacK

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
MacKiNBacK said:
I imagine HTML version would be the cd-rom version Helm has.. Only thing is it's over $1,000. I havent seen anything like that on ebay.

MacK
I bet you are correct. man, if only i was clever enough to get into my dealer and make copies of their CDs. :lildevil:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts