Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have looked and looked and had not yet been able to find a set of seats that would look right in my car. I needed support, but couldn't find a seat that looked or fit quite right in the car. I tried Eldorado seats, bonnie seats and even entertained getting recaro/corbeau/sparco style seats, but none fit the look I was going for. Plus I wanted to keep my heated seats for the winter time. (I know, call me a wuss, but I did wait a few months refusing to use them, til I wimped out and tried em! ;)) So I though about getting mine re-stuffed. I figured I could have some support added to my stock seats and keep the sleeper/stock look. And thanks to Leo, and his buddy Luke at Allen's Seat Co in Peabody Mass, my dream is a reality. And my back is much happier. :) Hell, Luke even took me in on a Saturday morning! Great guy. He even let me watch and take pictures. I have nothing but good things to say about this place. I've got plenty of his cards if you guys need em! :D

So anyways. I got there about 8am and he pulled the seat. Here's my car in the bay:

Here's the bottom cushion. Just cheap foam/rubber! I was totally shocked to see what crap they use in the seats! You can see the heater element on top.

Here's the stripped bottom half of the seat frame. Found my car's build sheet! :D (Oh, and the track are welded on in the caddy, not bolt on)

He added 2 layers of dense 1/2" padding under the cushion for support, and a strip each of the stuff along either side of the cushion (underneath). Also added some supports and ribbing on the seat control mount to prevent further chaffing of the foam:

Here's the seat before he added the thigh bolsters:

cont'd

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He added 2 layers of 1/2" thick, dense, "memory" foam to each side of the seat for thigh bolsters. That stuff was cool! You could push it down to the table with a finger tip, but use your whole hand and it wouldn't compress. Neat!

Here he is re-stiching the corner I had... uh... modified ;) when I shortened the seat from a bench to a bucket:

Here's a pic of the lumbar support. I thought it was an air bladder. Guess not. You hit the switch, it pulls a cable inside that thing tight, and makes it bow out. And Voila! Lumbar support...

Here he is adding some extra lumbar support. Another 1" of that dense padding between the cusion and lumbar. The green stuff is high strength upholstry glue.

Now he's adding 3 half inch layers of that memory foam for the side bolsters:

You think he's trying to tell me something about all the pictures I'm taking? :D

Here are the two seat halves, ready to be re-joined.

cont'd

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup... That cover was going on nice and easy. Didn't fight him one bit... ;) Think I heard something along the lines of "trying to stuff 50 lbs of shit into a 5 lb bag" :)

And here it is, done!

It doesn't actually look all that different, but boy, does it feel 1000 times better! The seat bottom has support now! I don't slide all over in corners, the thigh and side bolster keep me in place. Plus they keep me centered in the seat, opposed to sitting more on the left because of out seats being off to the right of the wheel centerline (working on that too). But I have to say this was money WELL spent! I would definately recommend it to anyone. The price was very reasonable and I just have one regret... Waiting so long to do it. :)

What d'ya think?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
All those pictures......... :eek:

I think it looks good...... I dont think id notice much of a difference between before and after, but that seat looks really comfy....... It looks about as comfortable as my desk chair.......

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
toomanytoyz said:
Hey Guys,

call me a wuss :D
WUSS!

But seriously, THANK YOU for that outstanding write-up with the pics and everything. I'm sure that there are upholstery shops all over the country who can do that kind of work, many of us just didn't realize that it could be done! Very nice work.

Now that I know this, I'm less hesitant to buy an older car.

Mods, this needs to go in our newly-created FAQ.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Elvis said:
WUSS!

But seriously, THANK YOU for that outstanding write-up with the pics and everything. I'm sure that there are upholstery shops all over the country who can do that kind of work, many of us just didn't realize that it could be done! Very nice work.

Now that I know this, I'm less hesitant to buy an older car.

Mods, this needs to go in our newly-created FAQ.
Heh heh... Thanks for the compliments! :D Would you believe that I had over 60 pictures... Man, was it tough to weed through them and just pic a few! :D

(I still have those pics from the track I need to post in the other thread)

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
709 Posts
I'm getting tempted to do that to my 85. All I gotta do is figure out what center console will work. Maybe the riviera one will work too.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
you, know, I was wondering:

my driver seat, although not ripped or torn, and in nice shape, as lost it's firmness and stiffness from use (the front part on the bottomem, where your knees bend had been replaced/re-padded, the place did a great job though) even the passenger seat isn't the best....... how do I know? becuase the back seat is pretty much brand new, everything is very tight, the big cousin in he middle is full ad when I sit in it, I actually feel like I am being held in the seat, not just sitting in a hollow type thing, although the seat is still very comfortable, with age it is not like what it once was (and since I never had the car for that time, I am just guessing by my knowladge, what I see and the back seat) Do places re condition seats...not like the actual leather, but like what you had done where they re-stuff it? and how much would a simple, but good job run? I am interested, as since there isn't much, aftermarket wise to do to my car, may as well keep the interrior looking and feeling nice.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
You should be able to take it to a trim shop and they'd be able to put new padding in it........ Id assume labor would far outweigh parts..........

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FASSTWOOD said:
I'm getting tempted to do that to my 85. All I gotta do is figure out what center console will work. Maybe the riviera one will work too.
I've got a Riviera console for sale. :) 100 bucks and it's yours. It's maroon. Send me an email if you'd be interested. :)

OH, and to get this thread back on track...

Any upholstry shop should be able to do this. You may also be able to get the foam from GM too. Last I heard, a friend got one for his Impala for 46 bucks. I paid 150 for this work. And it was well worth it IMHO. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts