Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
2016 ELR
2016 ELR
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been holding out for 5 years. Never really thought I needed a 220 volt charger because the 120 was fine about 95% of the time on my i3. Now that I've moved out to the burbs, got an ELR and take a weekly drive to my Mom's care facility I've been feeling the pinch in charge times because I'm getting home late and my ELR isn't fully charged yet.

So I decided to buy a 32amp Clipper Creek charger off eBay with the 14/50 plug. Wow, charged in less than 5 hours. Hard to believe that I got home about 3:30 in the afternoon from errands and I'm already charged before 8:30 at night... I'm likin it! :love:

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum
338 Posts
I've been holding out for 5 years. Never really thought I needed a 220 volt charger because the 120 was fine about 95% of the time on my i3. Now that I've moved out to the burbs, got an ELR and take a weekly drive to my Mom's care facility I've been feeling the pinch in charge times because I'm getting home late and my ELR isn't fully charged yet.

So I decided to buy a 32amp Clipper Creek charger off eBay with the 14/50 plug. Wow, charged in less than 5 hours. Hard to believe that I got home about 3:30 in the afternoon from errands and I'm already charged before 8:30 at night... I'm likin it! :love:
Which one and how much installed?

·
2016 ELR
2016 ELR
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which one and how much installed?
I'll have to get back to you on the actual model number but it's their biggest I think at 32 amps and it's not that small. It's the same one you see in commercial places mounted for the public like at a hospital or somewhere like that. I got it off eBay for like $360 which I believe is like half of what they probably cost new. This one was like brand new perfect condition.

There was already a 3 pin 220v plug in my garage. I took it out myself and installed the 4 pin 14/50 and the fourth wire (neutral) was already in the receptacle so no sweat. It took me like 5 times longer to mount the SOB on the wall than it did to change out the plug. One word of warning - I wasn't paying attention at first and didn't realize the 14/50 plug only hangs out of the unit like 8 inches!!! So, you have to basically be prepared to have solid mounting surfaces that the CC charger can bolt to. The charger quality is awesome, but the way you have to mount it retarded. They give you no through holes on the top and bottom so you have to kinda screw you screws or bolts in at an angle to mount it. What the H*** were they thinking?

Oh well it's just 2 holes. When you plug in the charge cable you hear a big relay click and electrons start a-flowin'. The CC charger looks like it will last forever.

Essentially there was no installation cost because I already had the plug and all 4 wires were there and so was 220 service right where I needed it! ?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,949 Posts
You can just run a three pin on the EVSE itself. The ELR charges at a max of 16a on 240, so a 32a CC is overkill (but good future proofing for the next EV!). I use an inexpensive Duosida 16a 120/240), pluged into a NEMA 6-20 outlet on a 20a breaker. Yes, Level 2 charging is nice!

BTW, I'm sure you know this, but the Clipper Creek isn't the charger. The "charger" is in the car, the Clipper Creek is the EVSE, just a fancy extension cord.

·
2016 ELR
2016 ELR
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can just run a three pin on the EVSE itself. The ELR charges at a max of 16a on 240, so a 32a CC is overkill (but good future proofing for the next EV!). I use an inexpensive Duosida 16a 120/240), pluged into a NEMA 6-20 outlet on a 20a breaker. Yes, Level 2 charging is nice!

BTW, I'm sure you know this, but the Clipper Creek isn't the charger. The "charger" is in the car, the Clipper Creek is the EVSE, just a fancy extension cord.
Yeah I misspoke. I just wanted a 220v unit of high quality that would last forever, so since they install the CC units in commercial establishments I chose that one. I noticed the other day when looking at all the parts available in the hybrid section of the car on GM parts online, the internal charger.

I'm sure you're probably right about the current it draws, but it would seem like if the car can suck 12 amps at 120 on one leg that it could suck double that on 2.... After all, it charges in a third of the time, not half the time. I dunno, if I ever get time, I'd like to make a hot leg standout between the plug and the EVSE so I can clamp my ammeter on it and verify what thirst level it likes.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,949 Posts
It is 16a. That is the L2 charging. It's faster because the voltage/amperage is doubled from the 120v/8a slow charge. Max on 120 is 12a as you have seen. Not sure if there is a screen in the ELR that will show the actual amperage, or just "L2, time complete"...

·
2016 ELR
2016 ELR
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know. I just know that I'm really enjoying a full charge from zero in less than 5 hrs. I noted 11miles first hour, 22 miles, second hour, 31 miles third hour, then it seems to slow down. But still, getting 11 miles in one hour just at home is very convenient if I was out of electrons and want to go to dinner within 5 miles or so. It's a nice luxury to have that I'm not used to. Still getting 48 miles a charge almost everytime, even using the ELR on the freeway and a little bit of AC. On 100 degree days last week where I was cranking the AC on, I still got over 40 a charge. I'm super happy with the car. :geek:

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Premium Luxury - Dark Adriatic Blue/Cirrus (past - '11 SRX, '14 ELR)
422 Posts
Check out a DDS238-4 meter. I put one on mine just for info. Mains run through and it uses CT to measure usage, tap screws for power to the meter. Has an LED that I put a photoresistor on, connected to an arduino to monitor daily usage.... Put it in a 4 -gang box that I cut out the cover...

·
2016 ELR
16 ELR
94 Posts
Just think how fast it would be to charge if Cadillac put a 6.6kw charger in the car instead of the paltry 3.3.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think it's best to charge EVs as slowly as possible.
I intend to use the wall plug and will use gas if necessary.
This give the added benefit of keeping the gas fresher.

I am not a purist.
I just happen to think the ELR is the best looking Cadillac and I have no need for sedan.
The wife already has one.
I would like a luxury SUV (a truck, not a car). Already have irons in the fire on on that front.

·
2016 ELR
2016 ELR
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it's best to charge EVs as slowly as possible.
I intend to use the wall plug and will use gas if necessary.
This give the added benefit of keeping the gas fresher.

I am not a purist.
I just happen to think the ELR is the best looking Cadillac and I have no need for sedan.
The wife already has one.
I would like a luxury SUV (a truck, not a car). Already have irons in the fire on on that front.
Curious what you're looking at? While my wife loves her Jaguar F-Pace S, it's beautiful to our eyes and fast as $h*t, BUT, the interior quality is only good and we got the stock Meridian stereo which sucks. So I decided to look around at what's out there that is a luxury auto with a killer stereo, looks good and luxury interior with quality materials. Unfortunately there's nothing out there to "our eyes and ears" under 70k. That being said, the Lincoln Corsair is going to be out within the next few months and we like the look, love the size and it has the same Revel stereo as available which freakin rocks. My wife holds the stereo system in EXTREMELY high regard..:rolleyes:. We checked out the Aviator and the materials and interior quality were awesome. Stereo is super good (and we're picky, my wife uh...the pickiest person audiophile type... nothing wrong with that!). Supposedly the Corsair will have the option of massaging seats too which felt really good in the Aviator. That's not 100% but I was told by an online Lincoln "chat" gal after she checked, that they will be available (not listed on the configurator). So, we are certainly going to check out a fully decked out Corsair when it comes out! The Aviator is too big for my wife and too expensive. But a fully loaded Corsair will be right about $60k which is affordable when and if we get rid of the F-Pace. Also, there's going to be a PHEV version of the Corsair too which will follow by a few months, and it will have the same silly low range as most of the PHEVs out there, but it WILL have the ability to drive in pure EV mode or select it to have the engine come on, on demand when you need more power.

Can't wait... I wish Cadillac has a similar thing happening. I really wish they made a SUV like a CT5 or whatever that had the SAME aspects of my ELR...range, Regen paddle, etc... You'd think that since they have the tech and it's so well done and reliable they'd make it, but most people just don't understand range extending cars like the ELR. I have to explain it...every...single...time.... :cry:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Curious what you're looking at?
Guy I work with has a 2008 Nissan Xterra that is killing his back and butt.
His kid is about to start driving, so he's giving him the Xtrerra.
His dad wants to get a new car, so he's giving the guy a 2013 Lexus GX460.
2013 is a year or two before they started with the stupid grilles.

He never keeps anything more than a few years.
I told him "when you want to get rid of that Lexus, just let me know."
It'll make a perfect companion to my other vehicles. It'll cost less than $20K and it has a V8.

Both the guy and his dad are beyond anal.
I've bought two trucks from them previously... a 1990 Montero and a 1999 Tahoe.
They were both great.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6
23 Posts
Hi there, possible future ELR owner here . . . having said that, I'd love to see the unit you bought and where its installed. The catalog is somewhat extensive and I'd appreciated seeing what you decided on.

big thanks!

·
2016 ELR
2016 ELR
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi there, possible future ELR owner here . . . having said that, I'd love to see the unit you bought and where its installed. The catalog is somewhat extensive and I'd appreciated seeing what you decided on.

big thanks!
Here's a pic. I chose the CC because you see them installed in commercial applications everywhere. Mine came with a 4 pin plug so I switched out the plug in my garage and plugged it right in. It comes with a very very short cable which sucks but whatever. I think some come with no plug and you put your own on the end.

Like some have said, maybe in the case of the ELR the CC is just a fancy extension cord, in other cars it's the charger. I dunno how that works. If it just a fancy extension cord then you could buy something cheap. I got the CC off FeeBay for half of what it cost new so I went that route.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
2,356 Posts
These are charge controllers--not chargers. All electric and hybrid cars that I am aware of have the chargers on board the vehicle. Controllers ensure there are no shorts, mis-wiring, and can also control the charge rate.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6
23 Posts
Thank you for posting that. I think its a wise decision for me to invest in something that enables a faster charge so I will most totally consider this brand after reading through this forum and this thread also.

Also, if you don't mind my asking, how much was your install? (not an electrician here and also don't have any friends that are so I'm going to have to hire a company)

does anyone here have any other units from Clipper Creek to show and give some insight on also?

Here's a pic. I chose the CC because you see them installed in commercial applications everywhere. Mine came with a 4 pin plug so I switched out the plug in my garage and plugged it right in. It comes with a very very short cable which sucks but whatever. I think some come with no plug and you put your own on the end.

Like some have said, maybe in the case of the ELR the CC is just a fancy extension cord, in other cars it's the charger. I dunno how that works. If it just a fancy extension cord then you could buy something cheap. I got the CC off FeeBay for half of what it cost new so I went that route.

View attachment 585399

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just installed the Clipper Creek LCS-20 Hardwired 16 A 240VAC and it works great...Charged My ELR from empty to Full in exactly 3 hours Installation cost was $500

·
Registered
2016 ELR
122 Posts
3 hours from zero to full, that's actually too quick. It usually means the battery isn't being charged to full capacity (and poor electric range). Empty to full should be on the order of 4-5 hours. Unless you didn't actually charge from empty, or to full.

Do you have a 2014 or 2016? Miles on odometer?

You may want to check your CUE info screen for the kWh used after a full charge and depleting electric range to zero. An unusually small number there coupled with too quick of charging would be an indication of a battery issue (age degradation, or fault).

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6
23 Posts
Installation cost was $500
thanks for that info. $500 for install seems somewhat fair considering the work and assurance involved.

I just installed the Clipper Creek LCS-20 Hardwired 16 A 240VAC

The 16A 240VAC seems like a wise choice, I may look into that since the max charge is at 16A anyway.

For the time being though I will need an extension cord because the regular/standard outlet is in the backyard and I haven't measured the distance yet but I should at least ,maybe inquire here in this thread, if any specific extension cord can be used at all? (if thats an issue/nogo- I'll have to tend to that right away and have a charger installed sooner rather than wait to spend the money.)

Very helpful to read the charging info in this thread- helpful as always!

·
Registered
2016 ELR
122 Posts
For the time being though I will need an extension cord because the regular/standard outlet is in the backyard and I haven't measured the distance yet but I should at least ,maybe inquire here in this thread, if any specific extension cord can be used at all? (if thats an issue/nogo- I'll have to tend to that right away and have a charger installed sooner rather than wait to spend the money.)
Offically, using an EVSE (which is what the 'charger' is really called) with an extension cord is not allowed. Unofficially, lots of people do it. The reason it is not recommended is the large continuous draw - which can be 8A/12A/16A at 120/240V depending on your setup and setting. Need a thick gauge cord. Additionally, the EVSE isn't protecting the incoming connection, so if the EVSE plug to the extension cord gets loose or wet, you have a hazard situation. Less likely to be an issue when the EVSE is plugged directly into the wall (or hard wired in).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts