Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Seville STS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally. I've known I've needed one for months. Now it’s done.

Someone had said they didn't believe one could go "bad". I could look down into the engine compartment & see my wobbling. A lot. I'd say about 1/4 inch. It made the upper pulley for the serpentine belt move as well - not near as much, but I could see t was wobbling (what's that pulley called BTW - the most upper one that you actually see the serpentine belt on?) This in turn caused the serpentine belt to run off line on the top pulley.

Or at least that's my story & I'm sticking to it.

So what else does the harmonic balancer control? Will I notice anything different with a new one?

I'm ignoring the "Service Ride Control" message. F#!k it. I don't want to deal with any other issues right now.

But I think I'm done. I've obviously bought myself a lemon that continuously needs something. So, Betsy will be for sale within a week or so.

You guys have been noting but helpful. And I appreciate it. :lesley:

·
Registered
'93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!
503 Posts
Finally. I've known I've needed one for months. Now it’s done.

Someone had said they didn't believe one could go "bad". I could look down into the engine compartment & see my wobbling. A lot. I'd say about 1/4 inch. It made the upper pulley for the serpentine belt move as well - not near as much, but I could see t was wobbling (what's that pulley called BTW - the most upper one that you actually see the serpentine belt on?) This in turn caused the serpentine belt to run off line on the top pulley.

Or at least that's my story & I'm sticking to it.

So what else does the harmonic balancer control? Will I notice anything different with a new one?

I'm ignoring the "Service Ride Control" message. F#!k it. I don't want to deal with any other issues right now.

But I think I'm done. I've obviously bought myself a lemon that continuously needs something. So, Betsy will be for sale within a week or so.

You guys have been noting but helpful. And I appreciate it. :lesley:
Well, I believe a harmonic balancer is a 2-part component. The center bolts straight onto the engine crank, with a 'softer center' that has an outer weighted portion ( like a double donut ).....it counters any off-balance spinning, making the engine spin smoother. Possibly the outer ring miss-aligned causing the wobble, eh?

I don't know sure what other pulley you are looking at, but it could be just an idler pulley ( directs the belt around other pulleys ).

I just got the 'Service Ride Control' message myself. I know my front struts are a bit soft, but not enough to mess with yet, and my rear seems fine, so as you say, F&*k it.

Just a thought, I know of many people that have nice cars and they need lot's of attention, and these cars are new.

( I was born in Victoria, btw )

1 - 2 of 2 Posts