Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XTS VSport Platinum AWD
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first thing I noticed is that the low end torque increase is huge.. KPE says 30+ ft lbs increase, and I have to believe them.. Especially right off idle.. A half throttle leave from a dead stop will launch you with authority.. Care has to be taken when doing rolling stops.. Cause too much throttle before the transmission has fully down shifted .. Will cause the tranny to hit hard, with a lot of torque, going back into first.. Which can't be doing it any good.. You can guess how I found that out.. Over all the car is now a high strung rocket, that needs to be driven like there is an egg under the accelerator.. To stay under the speed limit..

The one thing I don't like about the KPE tune.... The car is now louder.. I don't know if it's my imagination.. I don't know if it's the atmospheric conditions.. Or maybe I've blown a hole in the muffler.. But when you step into the throttle, it sounds like it's louder to me.. Can any one else confirm this, or is all in my head..

·
Registered
2016 ATS V
295 Posts
I thought the same thing Belman. I also noticed when it shifts from gear to gear on hard acceleration the noise it makes sounds like a blow off valve on a turbo. Either way I like it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know... The more I drive this tune, the better I'm like'n it..

From squirting around traffic, to darting from a stop.. It feels like a different car.. The 0-60 has to be improved.. Bigtime..

It's almost like I went old school, and put a set of low gears in the rear end.. And it's suppose to get better gas mileage too..

·
Registered
2016 ATS V
295 Posts
In theory Belman you will get better fuel mileage however if you are like me there is never a really a time that I don't have my foot to the floor putting a smile on my face and showing the German cars just how quick these Caddy's truly are, therefore driving fuel mileage right out the window?. There is no doubt the tune is worth the money if you want some good results without spending too much money.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi, Great feedback. I have 2 questions. Do you have the normal 3.6 or vsport? Secondly, did you also apply the transmission tune?

·
Registered
2016 ATS V
295 Posts
For me mine is a2013 ATS4 Luxury 3.6. Not sure what the sport is. I never went for the transmission tune just the ecm tune.

·
Registered
ATS
455 Posts
szoberg, they don't make an ATS-Vsport, (I wish) only a V that's coming this spring.

HoosierDaddy, do you have an updated KPE tune for the new sparkplugs?

·
Registered
60 Posts
For some reason I was thinking the xts, that's what I have and I saw they had a tune for it as well. Maybe the transmission shifting would be more inline with the transmission update as well.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Red
124 Posts
I can't recall if mine was louder after the tune. I put a Magnaflow on mine so I guess it doesn't matter anyway, sounds like an angry Caddy now :)

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,681 Posts
szoberg, they don't make an ATS-Vsport, (I wish) only a V that's coming this spring.

HoosierDaddy, do you have an updated KPE tune for the new sparkplugs?
I have not done the recall so still have the original plugs.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, Great feedback. I have 2 questions. Do you have the normal 3.6 or vsport? Secondly, did you also apply the transmission tune?
I've just got a naturally aspirated 3.6 liter AWD.. I didn't get the tranny retune, which is an additional 100 bucks.. BUT.... My tranny has been affected by the tune.. When it was stock it was hard to keep the tranny from doing a "to large" of a kick down.. Just giving the throttle a healthy mash would cause a tranny kick down that would put the engine screaming at 5000 rpms.. With the tune it doesn't kick down near as easily.. And when it does, it seems to go back to right in the middle of the power band.. And pulling like a freight train..

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
I've just got a naturally aspirated 3.6 liter AWD.. I didn't get the tranny retune, which is an additional 100 bucks.. BUT.... My tranny has been affected by the tune.. When it was stock it was hard to keep the tranny from doing a "to large" of a kick down.. Just giving the throttle a healthy mash would cause a tranny kick down that would put the engine screaming at 5000 rpms.. With the tune it doesn't kick down near as easily.. And when it does, it seems to go back to right in the middle of the power band.. And pulling like a freight train..
The tranny kicks down based upon speed and throttle position. If the throttle was recurved (e.g., press the gas pedal down 25% and stock it commanded 100 ft-lbs, but recurved it commands 130 ft-lbs) you would use less throttle input to make the desired engine TQ and it would request less of a downshift. So where as it might have been downshifting 6th to 3rd, it might only request 6th to 4th because of lower TPS readings.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tranny kicks down based upon speed and throttle position. If the throttle was recurved (e.g., press the gas pedal down 25% and stock it commanded 100 ft-lbs, but recurved it commands 130 ft-lbs) you would use less throttle input to make the desired engine TQ and it would request less of a downshift. So where as it might have been downshifting 6th to 3rd, it might only request 6th to 4th because of lower TPS readings.
OK... I can see that..

·
Registered
2013 3.6 AWD
12 Posts
hey guys i was thinking about getting this tune for my ATS also. Just a few quick questions. What was the instal like for the tune? Are there any different effects when you put the car in sport mode ect? I like what i am reading so far so i am curious in some more information about it.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,681 Posts
hey guys i was thinking about getting this tune for my ATS also. Just a few quick questions. What was the instal like for the tune? Are there any different effects when you put the car in sport mode ect? I like what i am reading so far so i am curious in some more information about it.
Install is simple. Basically just load the tune into the device on-line then plug the device into the car's OBD port. Lights tell you when its done. It comes with instructions. I have a manual trans so can't comment on auto trans changes. Its been a while, but you also first use the device to save a copy of the factory tune and then upload it to your account on-line for future re-install. I'm not positive if that's mandatory because I seem to recall them saying they have the factory tunes already.

----------

is it really better than the diablo tuner?
Are you asking if the tune is better or the tuner device is better?

If you are asking about the tune, there aren't enough (any?) forum members who have used both in their car to get any statistically meaningful opinions.

I have the KPE tune and love it!. Most people who have Diablo tunes love them. There are some posts complaining about Diablo tunes or service BUT there are also probably more forum members using Diablo due to them being very active on the forums. Who knows is there would be more less or the same complaints if the numbers of users were the same.

I believe KPE still offers a satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like the tune for any reason, just reinstall your factory tune and return the tuner and get your money back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts