Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, 2017 XT5 AWD
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer down the street got in a couple of '08 CTS's. Walked over during lunch. Got in the one in the showroom. Nothing like that new car smell. It was beautiful inside as the pictures show. Here comes the salesman. He says "This car has every option you would want in a CTS". Does it have the DI engine? "No, but you'd never be able to tell the difference between this one and the bigger engine". That was my cue to leave. I said I'd be back when he had more to chose from next week. On my way out I got into a new STS. Garish compared to the CTS. The CTS was beautiful.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
... He says "This car has every option you would want in a CTS". ...
Sales people will say anything. It's annoying. How could he/she possibly know what options I want in MY car? What I want from a sales person: Shut up unless I ask a question. Then answer the question without any additional commentary.

·
Registered
NONE
184 Posts
Sales people will say anything. It's annoying. How could he/she possibly know what options I want in MY car? What I want from a sales person: Shut up unless I ask a question. Then answer the question without any additional commentary.
Yeah, and COMPETENTLY, to that. Truly knowledgeable salespersons are an endangered species, if not extinct yet, in most of the retail.

greyghost04:

Did you like the interior? Is the stitching on the dash real? Does the telescoping wheel eliminate any potential legroom issues?

·
Banned
Cadillac
1,884 Posts
Ill give you an opportunity to re-prase that before I light you up!!!!!!!!:gun2:

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
There are some very good salesmen on this site. James @ Lindsay is certainly one. He probably could tell you what you want, he's that good ;)

99% of salesmen have shady business practices, but thats the nature of that business.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
... Is the stitching on the dash real?...
What makes you think it is not? According to Cadillac, it is hand-cut and hand-sewed.

Coverings for components such as the instrument panel, center console and door trim are cut, sewn and wrapped by hand. This enables details such as decorative French stitching, and the near elimination of gaps and seams for a superbly tailored appearance.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
It's not leather, nor does Cadillac claim it is. According to our literature, it is a "specific, low-gloss, soft backed material."

·
Registered
NONE
184 Posts
What makes you think it is not? According to Cadillac, it is hand-cut and hand-sewed.
By "real" I mean the stitching to be functional to a reasonable extent, not just a dummy thread glued in exclusively for decorative purpose. You know, if the material isn't stretched at the seams because everything is glued to everything, you will be left with the feeling that the stitching is "fake", i.e. it may be a real thread sewn through real holes, but it just doesn't serve any purpose. It's not much different than if you hand-sewn metallic covers of you microwave oven, since you know, they're bolt on anyway.

If the thing looks and feels real, reasonably functional and hand-cured, this would make it really upscale, which I hope for.

:cheers:

·
Banned
Cadillac
1,884 Posts
Sales people will say anything. It's annoying. How could he/she possibly know what options I want in MY car?
You think its ok to "Bash" Car Salesman! You dont sound like a smart guy when you start generalizing....Whats with the condescending and arrogant comments..........You shouldnt generalize or stereotype, it is like assuming and you know what they say about assuming!

Its very hard for me to understand this, As a car salesman, a consumer and a human being, I harbor no prejudice nor do I stereotype people.........

What I want from a sales person: Shut up unless I ask a question. Then answer the question without any additional commentary.
Seriously cause your the expert right!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Wow. You sure are taking this personally. I don't know you. I don't know what kind of car salesman you are.

I think it is fair to ask how a sales person can possibly know what options I want in a car. To do so, they are obviously making an assumption based on very little information. Like you said about making assumptions. So how is this any different?

As to your last point, I thoroughly research my planned purchases before I ever go to the showroom. I usually find myself explaining things to the sales person, not vice versa. I don't go to a dealership for a social event. I'm not looking for idle chit-chat.

·
Banned
Cadillac
1,884 Posts
Wow. You sure are taking this personally. I don't know you. I don't know what kind of car salesman you are.

I think it is fair to ask how a sales person can possibly know what options I want in a car. To do so, they are obviously making an assumption based on very little information. Like you said about making assumptions. So how is this any different?

As to your last point, I thoroughly research my planned purchases before I ever go to the showroom. I usually find myself explaining things to the sales person, not vice versa. I don't go to a dealership for a social event. I'm not looking for idle chit-chat.
I am taking this personally! I take my career personally dont you? Im sure in your place workplace there are some great employees and there are some poor ones.

Exactly you dont know me or know what kind of saleman I am or the next salesperson is, so dont stereotype poeple!

The difference is you generalized rather than saying "that particular salesperson was this or that" Dont try to back pedal! I even gave you the opportunity to re-phrase it. You decide to go ahead and run with the arrogant condescending statement!

As a consumer you should be well informed! In today's day and age with information at your fingertips everyone should be!

·
Registered
Cadillac
30 Posts
Sorry Zymurgy, but I have to agree with Dubbed Stealth. :thehand:Its customers like you that have no respect for salespeople that are the real problem with the car sales industry. Truth is more buyers BS us salespeople about what they can buy it for down the street, what the other guy is paying for his trade, how many accidents have they had with the trade and the list goes on and on. Do the right thing and issue an apology to all the salespeople on this forum.
Thats what a real man would do.:mad:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Sorry Zymurgy, but I have to agree with Dubbed Stealth. :thehand:Its customers like you that have no respect for salespeople that are the real problem with the car sales industry. Truth is more buyers BS us salespeople about what they can buy it for down the street, what the other guy is paying for his trade, how many accidents have they had with the trade and the list goes on and on. Do the right thing and issue an apology to all the salespeople on this forum.
I'm sure you are absolutely correct that many people are less than honest when talking to their sales person. I'm fortunate that I don't have to try to pit one dealer against another on pricing. I'm eligible for GMS, so price is fixed. That also eliminates any gamesmanship between new car price and trade-in value.

However, I don't agree that I have no respect for sales people. It may have appeared that way from my post, but until I have had an interaction, I have no opinion. The experience can be either positive or negative. I will quickly lose respect for a sales person that makes misleading or inaccurate statements, or attempts to gloss over something that is important to me just trying to make a sale. In my opinion, the sales person in the original post did both.

Both you and Dubbed Stealth are correct that I generalized and/or stereotyped. So I offer you, Dubbed Stealth and all salespeople an apology.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i definitely wouldn't want (and idon't think anyone offers it) a dashboard top covered in leather. can you imagine what it would like after acouple of seasons inthe sun? the interior of a car is one harsh environment when left outside in the sun, day after day.

jackg
06 sts6

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
I'm sure you are absolutely correct that many people are less than honest when talking to their sales person. I'm fortunate that I don't have to try to pit one dealer against another on pricing. I'm eligible for GMS, so price is fixed. That also eliminates any gamesmanship between new car price and trade-in value.

However, I don't agree that I have no respect for sales people. It may have appeared that way from my post, but until I have had an interaction, I have no opinion. The experience can be either positive or negative. I will quickly lose respect for a sales person that makes misleading or inaccurate statements, or attempts to gloss over something that is important to me just trying to make a sale. In my opinion, the sales person in the original post did both.

Both you and Dubbed Stealth are correct that I generalized and/or stereotyped. So I offer you, Dubbed Stealth and all salespeople an apology.
I'd weigh in and suggest that a salesman that listens to a customer speak is probably do the best thing for both parties involved.

A good salesman is one who carefully helps the consumer find out what his needs are and fills those needs with a vehicle that the salesmans manufacturer produces.

Just an opinion.

JB

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
... "it's customers like [Zymurgy ??!!] that have no respect for salespeople that are the REAL problem with the car sales industry?"
REALLY?? Give me a break.
Hey Zymurgy: Kudos for speaking your mind. I happen to agree with much of what you said.
Hey Dubbed Stealth, Caddlylenz & other sales folk who visit here: Suggest you take a chill pill. This is a blogsite designed for open expression. Apologies are not required. Don't like a particular comment? Then counter it with intelligent comment, or alternatively, choose to visit an alternate blogsite to avoid comment that might piss you off.
My advice to the sales folk who frequent here: Be on the lookout for the educated, informed buyer of today (yes, there are a few out there). Bone-up on the product to the max, and present a challenge to the buyer as to who knows more. Besides the actual product, nothing impresses an informed auto buyer more than an equally informed sales person.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts