Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 DeVille had the "service engine soon" light on. So I followed instructions from this site to pull the code.
It came up PCM P0410, which when I looked it up says " secondary air injection system".
What is that exactly, and is it serious, minor, must get fixed now, or can wait?
Any ideas, please.

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
It looks like you have your work cut out for you, I am putting in the description of the secondary air system, but the diagnostic tables are far too long to enclose here. I would recommend that you take it to a dealer and have them fix it, they will have the proper tools for it.

Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Description
Secondary Air Injection System Description
The secondary air injection (AIR) system helps reduce exhaust emissions. The system forces fresh filtered air into the exhaust stream in order to accelerate catalyst operation.

The system includes the following:

AIR pump - The AIR pump supplies filtered air through the secondary air injection system into the exhaust stream. The control module provides ground for the pump relay, battery voltage is then applied to the pump. The filter is the only serviceable part of the pump.
AIR Vacuum Control Solenoid - The AIR Vacuum Control Solenoid controls the AIR Shut OFF Valves. When the secondary air injection system is enabled, the control module provides a ground to the solenoid. Enabling the solenoid, allows engine vacuum to be applied to the AIR Shut Off Valves.
AIR Shut Off Valves - The AIR Shut Off Valves are vacuum operated. When the secondary air injection system is enabled, vacuum is applied to the valves. The vacuum opens the valves and allows air from the AIR Pump to flow to the check valves.
Check valve - The check valve prevents back flow of exhaust gases into the secondary air injection system. An AIR pump that had become inoperative and had shown indications of having exhaust gases in the outlet port would indicate check valve failure.
Plumbing - The plumbing carries the air from the pump to the exhaust stream. It includes the hoses, pipes and clamps. The plumbing can be tested for leaks using a soapy water solution. With the AIR pump running, bubbles will form if a leak exists.
Results of Incorrect Operation
If no air (oxygen) flow enters the exhaust stream, the start up emission levels will rise. The control module can detect a system flow problem using the pre catalyst HO2S and Short Term FT. If a system flow problem is present the HO2S voltage will not indicate an expected lean condition, Short Term FT will not increase and a DTC will set.

If Incorrect voltage is present on the vacuum control solenoid or the pump relay control circuits the device will not operate. This will be detected by the control module and a DTC will set.

The following DTCs can set if a secondary air injection fault is detected:

DTC P0410-- A system flow problem has been detected.
DTC P0412-- A vacuum control solenoid control circuit problem has been detected.
DTC P0418-- A pump relay control circuit problem has been detected.
DTC P1415-- A system flow problem has been detected relating to cylinder bank 1.
DTC P1416-- A system flow problem has been detected relating to cylinder bank 2.

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so this sounds seroius, or seroius enough to get looked at soon.
The only code I get is P0410, will the other codes show up to help narrow it down or do I take it back to the dealer and get them to find out the exact problem.

DTC P0410-- A system flow problem has been detected.
DTC P0412-- A vacuum control solenoid control circuit problem has been detected.
DTC P0418-- A pump relay control circuit problem has been detected.
DTC P1415-- A system flow problem has been detected relating to cylinder bank 1.
DTC P1416-- A system flow problem has been detected relating to cylinder bank 2.

If I have this right, the P0410 code only tells me there is a problem, but it could be any one of the the items listed.

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
The other codes show when there is a problem with that circuit, none of the other codes are present, therefore it can be ruled out. This is a pump that sits off to the side of the engine bay, before doing anything, take a look at it and see if it was disconnected or one of its hoses has been removed, all this thing does is pump air into the exhaust system, GM has done this off and on over the years. You will need it fixed if you are going to have an emmission test done soon but I would check the pump first.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Has anyone been under the hood lately? On the rear of the engine cover there is a small hump with a vacuum line coming out from under it. This line is very easily knocked off and will cause that error.

Pull the cover off and make sure this line is connected.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Yeah, code is right, look at the vacuum lines that go to the AIR check valves. One is located just above the water pump cover and the other is at the rear of the engine above the ignition coil cover.

If those are connected, there is a TSB related to those systems ingesting water and cooking the AIR pump.
There are updated parts available to keep it from happening again.
It is kind of a pain to replace but it is a DIY job if you are so inclined.

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After I reset the codes, the light came on again, just to confirm it was the same error code I checked then reset everything.
Checked under hood for loose wires and hoses at pump, jiggled the wires around a bit.
The "service engine light" has not come back on and there are now no error codes showing.
Is it possible that the wrong grade of gas may have caused this, it may have been filled with regular by accident. This is about when the light came on. When the tank was down to half I filled it up with premium, while doing all the checking, about that time the light went off, or is this just coincidence?

·
Registered
'04 Base Deville, Light Platinum - blew HG & SOLD
164 Posts
For what its worth, I had the "service engine soon" light on my 04 Deville.
Unfortunately, I didn't pull the code so I can't confirm it was the same as yours.

Anyway, it turns out the Air Pump was bad. The dealer replaced
it under warranty.

-jasper

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,976 Posts
Is it possible that the wrong grade of gas may have caused this
No. It was designed to run on regular and premium won't cause any problems.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Alot more cars have these secondary air pumps these days... on BMWs they run for a while after you start it and can be quite loud and annoying. However, unless your a big environmental tree hugger (or you live in a state with emissions inspections), I wouldnt call it a "serious" problem, the car wont stop running or anything.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
A P0410 will not set from "bad gas".
It sets when a very specific set of circumstances occur during a system check.
Here is another quick check.
When you start your car cold in the morning you should hear something that sounds like a vacuum cleaner running under the front end, if you don't, the pump is probably bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts