Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got the car back Friday! Turns out it ended up needing a new power steering pump and rack. Something went awry and material circulated destroying both parts of the power steering system.

Parts where overnighted from MI and was very pleased with the dealership.

After looking at what GM is passing off as a power steering cooler I noticed its mounted flat to the cars profile and what I would think is out of the air path to properly cool it. If that wasn’t bad enough it’s a cheesy looking 2 pass cooler mounted behind the vehicles large metal bumper support.

Did GM really think this was going to properly the power steering? I'm considering an aftermarket unit to better suit my driving style and upcoming track day.

When I drove the loaner V at the track during a 20 minute session the power steering fluid was boiling over and the power steering was operating intermittently.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Our PS cooler is much better than what most cars have. My Fox body Mustang only has about 1.5 feet of 1/4" tubing with NO fins as it's cooler.

But I agree, you should get a larger cooler for track duty.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mat347 said:
Our PS cooler is much better than what most cars have. My Fox body Mustang only has about 1.5 feet of 1/4" tubing with NO fins as it's cooler.

But I agree, you should get a larger cooler for track duty.

Same with my Audi and all the other audis.

Our PS cooler is COOOOOL! (no pun intended).. now to get an oil cooler. =)

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I decided to order a PS cooler anyhow. a Simple but effective one from Summit. Its $40.00 well spent in my book.

With all the unused holt holes on the front end of the V it should be easy to mount up. I'm trying for as sano looking as possible. I will post pics when its done.

V

·
0 Posts
Aaron, how many quarts does the system hold? I think my '05 GTO is 4 quarts, which should be plenty of cooling.

Mine lost low speed booster, as a few other GTO owners. But my white overflow/reso. is light yellow from track days.

Maybe they use the same pump?

PS fluid no.

Norm

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
V-Max said:
Aaron, how many quarts does the system hold? I think my '05 GTO is 4 quarts, which should be plenty of cooling.

Mine lost low speed booster, as a few other GTO owners. But my white overflow/reso. is light yellow from track days.

Maybe they use the same pump?

PS fluid no.

Norm
4 Quarts seems about right for the CTS-V system as well.

Different part # on my invoice then the one you listed.

Exact same situation here, low speed booster was shot. I would have to rev the engine to get more power steering off idle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts