Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past many members have contributed some great car stories here on the Forums. Seeing as we now have so many new members participating, I thought it would be great if they had a car stories to tell us.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
I don't know if this one is great, but it's a lot of fun to tell. And unfortunately, it's true.

My sister and her husband stopped by our house one day, right after I got home from school. I was probably 15-16, and I was thinking about what I wanted to buy for my first car. I asked everyone questions about cars!
My mom didn't want me to go with Ginger and Scott, because we had church that evening. She knew we'd be late, or not make it at all, if I went with them. But I talked her into it.
Ginger always had what I could best describe as "bad luck" with cars. In all the time she drove up till that point, the only nice car she had was a late-80's Mustang, which she wrecked the day her insurance expired, when she was signing back up with the next day's paycheck.
We were rolling down Taylor Boulevard in Louisville, Ky and listening to the radio and making small-talk. They had been driving a little Pontiac 6000 wagon for a few months, and it seemed like it was defying the odds - it was turning out to be a decent car. They never got decent cars, so I was happy for them. It was also sort of a mid-sized car, the kind of thing I might want to drive when I got my license (well, maybe not a wagon, but still.)
So I decided to do what I needed to do. I was going to ask them about the wagon. So I did.
"Scott, Ginger, has this been a pretty good car for you guys? Seems like you're always unlucky with cars."
"Yeah, Wes, this one has had a couple minor problems, but it's never completely broke do..."
My brother-in-law Scott did not get the whole word "down" out of his mouth before the car shut down completely. It coasted off the main road onto a sidestreet. And it never started again. It spent time at a shop, then in their driveway, then it went to the junkyard. The mechanic couldn't figure it out. It was like the car had just given up the will to live.
The rule in both my sister's household, and mine, is this: never say a good thing about your car where it can hear you, because it's main purpose in existence isn't to carry your sorry butt around, but rather to prove you wrong any time you're inclined to praise it.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
The expression on my buddy Bill's face when I was sliding my 91 Brougham sideways was priceless. I was doing 25-30mph sideways in a snow covered parking lot at an abandoned mall. I had to look out the passenger side window to see where I was going, that look of horror, his pupils dilated, and clinging onto the door pull with a death grip was priceless.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Aron9000 said:
The expression on my buddy Bill's face when I was sliding my 91 Brougham sideways was priceless. I was doing 25-30mph sideways in a snow covered parking lot at an abandoned mall. I had to look out the passenger side window to see where I was going, that look of horror, his pupils dilated, and clinging onto the door pull with a death grip was priceless.
Is you're profile pic of your car??! Tell me you have videos

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
That's a good one!

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,280 Posts
This one is probably ancient history (to a lot of you), happened to me in 1973 (I think).

Anyway, on leave (Navy Corpsman, Bethesda Navel Medical Center) to Buffalo, N.Y. (with a buddy; he's the one that lived in Buffalo). It was Christmas leave (from Medical Lab School) and we were going to visit his parents, do some skiing then head back to Long Island, N.Y.; him to see his girlfriend for the holidays, me to meet with my brother and spend Christmas in 'Jersey' with my parents.

Heading through New York State, pretty close to Buffalo (maybe twenty miles) his Volkswagen (Beetle) starts making some rattling noises. Knowing 'she' burns a little (okay, a lot) of oil we pull over and add a quart (apparently too late). After about five miles closer to his home the engine decides it's not going to take us to Buffalo. So we call his dad and came and picked us up and then came out the following day and towed the car back to his garage. Scanning the paper, and looking for a replacement engine, bingo (we find one) so it's off to the mechanic (towing the car behind his dad's LTD to the shop. Get there, and the mechanic says, 'oh, I can't put it in for you, tonight is my anniversary' (and my wife will kill me if I don't get home on time). So off we go, with the replacement engine in his dad's trunk, pulling the beetle (back to the garage) with the tow strap and the following day swap out the Volk's engine. Not too bad of a job, but it was December in an unheated garage; fun. Engine ran great (and we got to where we needed to go, but what happened going there; well that's another story, for another time). Oh, to be young (and too stupid) to know that we shouldn't have done what we had done (but did it splendidly non the less).

·
Registered
2012 CTS4 (AWD)
118 Posts
Gosh...several.

In 1987 I had just gotten my driver's permit in January and borrowed my dad's Buick Skylark for a short trip to a local 7/11 to get junk like chocolate and chips. Brought my little sister with me, she was about 12. It was mid January, had been pouring icing rain and we lived atop a short hill, maybe 500ft long but pretty steep and the bottom of the hill was a T with the cross road being a fairly major boulevard.

I hit the iced up hill with the buick and immediately lost control of the car. It went into a full 360° spin on the ice until I hit the bottom of the hill and the boulevard which was deserted and had been salted so there was no ice there. I was facing the correct direction and all like I had done it on purpose to look cool when the car stopped and I just pressed the gas to head our way...

I hadn't tried to look cool. It was scary and we were incredibly lucky.

In 1988 or 1989, mid winter well in the -15°C range, my friend's FIAT X 1/9 couldn't start (again, that thing never started...) after a night at the bowling alley and since he was too broke to call a tow truck, he asked me to push him home with my Capri RS Turbo (after trying to boost him for half an hour.) That was all fine and dandy (and highly illegal) but since his FIAT wasn't running, he had no heat, and also no defrost and I was relying on him to steer since I couldn't really see past his car, he couldn't see either. To this day I have no idea how we got to his house which was easily 10kms away. We even took the highway for a short while!

We had no cell phones back then and I couldn't see him but when we stopped in front of his house he was freaking out, completely frozen and panicked he told me he had been trying to get me to stop for a while so he could come in my car and warm up.

Much later, I was in my late 20s by then and had a 1997 Sidekick. Took my dad fishing "up north" for those of you familiar with Quebec, when we say up north we mean up north. It was mid summer and the fishing spot we used back then was about 30kms off into dirt and gravel roads hence the Sidekick. At a certain point we had to cross a river and the bridge was out, I got out of the little truck and inspected the river, probably about 50ft wide and no more than 18" deep I decide to drive through which was done easily enough. Then a bit later we got to a spot where the dirt road had been washed off. There was a crevice that made it look like a house had been there, it was a dozen feet deep and wider than that. My dad refused to stay in the truck as I dropped it in 4L, and slowly took it through the crevice but I made it no problem, I didn't even skid. On the way back I stopped and asked him if he wanted to walk across again he said no and held on...

A few years later, I used the same 1.6L 95HP engined truck to tow my Taurus home after the belt tensioner pulley failed and yeah, atop the same steep 500ft hill I had skidded 20 years before. The 4 LOW range on that truck could tow the Titanic...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts