Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stereo is in my Cadillac, but I've noticed this in various years and styles of GM factory radios. I get intermittent popping noises coming from my speaker or speakers. My car only has front speakers right now, mostly because it's a hearse - not much demand for the stiff in the back to get great tunes on the ride to the hole in the ground. I will probably add more later.

It sounds like the noise is mostly coming from my passenger-side dash speaker. There could be some on the driver's side too, but it's hard to tell.

Where do I start first, audio guys? Is it more likely that I have speaker damage or a problem inside the radio itself? If the damage is in the radio, what usually causes it? Could I fix it or get it fixed?

I know this is probably an odd question in a way, because my car has a 23 year-old tape deck. Most people would want to upgrade. But I've got one of those adapters you put in the deck, so I can listen to other stuff. I don't really own a lot of music on disc, so bringing the mp3 player is a better option for me. Also, my car was designed with the radio that is in it, and I like how it looks and fits. I can buy a cheap kit that allows you to add an amp to the factory stereo, so no need for an aftermarket unit.

Any insights appreciated!

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Is it Bose or symphony sound?

My bose (as many others) has a failing capacitors on one of the speakers individual amps. So that's why nose might pop/crackle

If you have non Bose, it could be something as simple as a connection issue or a wire issue. That would happen if the audio signal is intermittent.

If it's popping and you still hear audio, it could be a broken speaker come. But usually that has a distorted rattly sound associated to it. You can check the cone visually easily enough

----------

Most likely a contact issue

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yay! An answer!

I was starting to think everybody was just gonna read this one and peace out!

I'm just hoping it isn't inside the radio itself. I guess I'll pull the speaker, check the cone, make sure the connection is good. Not a rush item, but the popping is getting worse. I've seen a lot of GM radios do this same thing. I'm pretty sure mine isn't Bose, as it doesn't match the Bose photos in my manual, and I don't see the word Bose on it anywhere. I eblieve it's just the standard am/fm cassette with four or five-band EQ.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Yeah if you have the 4 band eq it should be and say symphony sound or something with symphony on it.

Of course an answer! =P

Yeah the problem with the Bose ones is if you get the crackling and just cut the send to the one speaker the power draw difference might affect the other speakers

But with non Bose you can totally just swap speakers and not worry.

I'm lucky my Bose system crackles only 10 percent of the time. The rest of the time the speaker just is silent. Which I'm okay with for now

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Yay! An answer!

I was starting to think everybody was just gonna read this one and peace out!

I'm just hoping it isn't inside the radio itself. I guess I'll pull the speaker, check the cone, make sure the connection is good. Not a rush item, but the popping is getting worse. I've seen a lot of GM radios do this same thing. I'm pretty sure mine isn't Bose, as it doesn't match the Bose photos in my manual, and I don't see the word Bose on it anywhere. I eblieve it's just the standard am/fm cassette with four or five-band EQ.
If you have 4x6s up front, they're probably blown. I pulled a pair from my lesabre years ago that didn't work so well (intermittent sound,crackling, etc.) The voice coils had gotten too hot and the cones were singed (and the surrounds were non existent). Swapped out the speakers and all was well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts