Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1999 deville concours
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Cadillac DeVille concours 1999. 170,000 mile. 1450.00 usd. drove for 3 days including 3hour ride home. no heat issue. Now though it started over heating every time it runs. What Should I do? spend many 1000' of dollor fixing it. Looking for advise from someone who has been there before.

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
438 Posts
Re: Got a Lemon?

A lemon?
A car of that age with that miles I would say you're shit outta luck. Probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

What's odd is it gave you no problems on the long ride home. Could be a simple drive belt slipping or missing, a thermostat, or a coolant leak. Maybe another $3-400 spent diagnosing wouldn't hurt you too bad at this point but prepare to loose the car before you fall too far in love with it.

·
Registered
1999 deville concours
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

This car has no rust black leather interior nice. its not worth fixing it with sure grip bolts?

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts

My personal opinion would be that if it is really nice, and you can afford to repair it, go for it. It could be something minor, such as the thermostat, belt slip, etc. listed above. A bad cooling fan, a relay or fuse blown, could be quite a few things really. The Northstar engine can easily last 300k miles if maintained, major issues fixed quickly, etc. Find out how bad your issue is, and if you feel it justifies the extra expense, fix it and keep it on the road. You got it cheap enough to put a little more into it! But to answer your first question, I wouldn't for a moment call it a lemon. I'd call it a middle/high mileage car that just needs some stuff fixed, which is probably why you were able to pick it up so inexpensively!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,261 Posts

I bought a Cadillac DeVille concours 1999. 170,000 mile. 1450.00 usd. drove for 3 days including 3hour ride home. no heat issue. Now though it started over heating every time it runs. What Should I do? spend many 1000' of dollor fixing it. Looking for advise from someone who has been there before.
========================
What Should I do?
DIAGNOSE the problem -

start with the basics -

check waterpump drive belt/idler -

check PURGE LINE for constant coolant flow -

perform a BLOCK TEST -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts

'99 was the worst year for HG (block thread) failure.

What Should I do? spend many 1000' of dollor fixing it.
That's a choice only you can make. If it's a HG, it's gonna be a minimum of $2000.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
1999 deville concours
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Minnesota. I want to have it fixed. Who does good job with good warranty?

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts

" Looking for advise from someone who has been there before."

Well you have several days of reading on this forum about others who have been there! Heh..Heh
Get a gas in block test kit as stated above. Some auto parts stores lend them out or just buy one. They are pretty cheap and a good addition to your tool pile.
There are youtube video's of guy's doing it. VERY simple test.
The problem with these cars is that they are such a DAMN FINE ride , that you don't want to give up. I know I don't on the 99 I bought in March. No troubles yet. But I would not take it on a long haul ride either.
Wish I'd joined here before I bought it. But I only paid 2 grand & it only has 98,000 on it. So to me it is a disposable car I'm going to enjoy driving locally.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts

But I would not take it on a long haul ride either.
So to me it is a disposable car I'm going to enjoy driving locally.
Locally ??? Disposable ??? For the 16th time since 11/2005 (buy date) we'll load the STS with a bunch of "she needs this" stuff next week and head for Gainesville, Florida to my stepdaughter's place - 816 miles, 1.5 days. Humpin' it. Won't think twice. Matter of fact, went up to Cecil County yesterday and ran the flyin' dog snot out of it on some rural twisties. Fun.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Well, by disposable I'm just saying I'll get my 2 grand out of it soon if not already. I'm not going to cry regardless what happens.
We lived in south Florida for 20 years until Hurricane Charley blew us up to Missouri.
My wife has been a quad since 75 & I'm just a nervous wreck driving her anywhere outside our stompin grounds.
My 85 Bronco I'd drive to Alaska via Florida with no concerns at all.
I will add that since buying the 99 Deville I'm always looking for an excuse to drive it somewhere. Just pure driving pleasure!!!
I just bought a 77 Coupe Deville for the long hauls. No computer to confuse me! Heh..Heh

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts

After recommendations from this forum, I just had my heads studded by Jake at Northstar Performance. Not a bad trip
from Michigan. Car is fantastic again and I'm headed to Green Bay Thursday. If the body is solid, well worth getting
it fixed to me.
Diagnosing the problem is critical though. It initially ran good? Did someone put Magic Goop in the engine to get someone
to buy it? As stated, LOTS of reading/info available here. Verify the problem, do you just need heads or an engine. Or, is it
something much less expensive? Don't get work done you don't need.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts

Hmm, can't say I know anyone in Minnesota.
Now if you can get it down here, I can help you.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts

Hugh;

If you determine it's the HG/bolts, contact Jake at Northstar Performance. There are a number of shops that use his patented stud system and
there might be someone not too far from you. Follow the Sticky's first and diagnose what's going on. Then it's your call. Everytime I drive mine
it was worth the repair.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Every time I drive mine I'm convinced it will be worth the repair if I ever need it! Love it love it love it!

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
Bradrock,

That's the flaw of these cars. They were an excellent idea on paper but somewhat poorly executed in production. Too many corners cut. Yet, the overall package rides and runs just good enough for those that appreciate it's potential to fix them.....

----------

Locally driving these things is an insult at times. Take this thing out on the road so it can run where it likes to be....

·
Registered
1999 deville concours
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I very optimistic about what I found, a broken water pump pully. belt just hanging there. mechanic was so eager to say head gasket. but didn't have any other symptom other then getting hot fast. Tomorrow I will fix that and see what happens. I was in the process of trying mirical in bottle when I seen that. K W nano in radiator but pump never circulated it.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
You really want to get that crap out of there before you do anything else. You don't have a radiator cap, did you pour it into the surge tank?

A broken belt usually means a seized water pump belt tensioner pulley. Check that first. Also check the condition of the plastic drive pulley. Look for signs of melting and pieces of belt stuck in the grooves.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Please get the stopleak crap out of there before you really mess things up. You need to find the How To instructions for the water pump drive assembly - in Tech Tips.

As posted, if the large drive pulley - TIGHTLY pressed onto the left bank intake cam extension - is damaged it must be replaced, and do it by the book or you will break expensive parts. That pulley may still have a black plastic cap on the hub - it comes off with a Torx bit and is a thread protector for the cam extension threaded hole used with special tools to install the new pulley. The pulley is plastic, the hub is steel, and you pull/push on the hub, not the pulley rim.

You can replace the tensioner pulley and bearing by itself - if the tensioner arm and spring are in good condition you remove the pulley center bolt and replace the pulley - NAPA or RockAuto. Your make, model, year, engine, "belt drive", the 3-rib tensioner and/or larger water pump drive pulley. The safety shroud is retained by two 10mm nuts and a bolt. The tensioner assembly is retained by the long hex head studs that the safety shroud nuts came off of.

You can use a power steering puller/installer kit if it has the proper small jaw hooks to engage the drive pulley hib groove. Do it correctly - break that cam extension or damage the oil seal in the cam cover and you're into expensive work.

Click a thumbnail to enlarge, use your browser <-- to back out

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 Deville
142 Posts
The GM power steering puller that they sell at Napa, evercraft brand I believe, works perfectly for pulling that off the cam.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts