Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled up to a stop light and a Dodge with a Hemi kept creeping, I smoked him, I don't know what Dodge di with the 345HP, but it sure isn't making it to the rear wheels. In the 1/4 I had him by two lengths.

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
Nice Kill Brooks!!!

Did you get a look at the expression on his face? :crying2:

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
Excuse me, that thing have a Vortec?

:p

I never understood why Dodge thinks getting 345hp from their Hemi is so great. The Escalade has had that for years...

The other truck claim I would like to see take 'The Caddy Challenge' is Ford's claim that their new F-150 is the quietest truck on the road. Last time I was in an Escalade, it was whisper quiet...

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
reminds me of the ram cummins diesel i smoked yesterday , i didnt launch well so i only had a car length on him , but i won the battle of the torque monsters

damn the 3 lanes mergeing to one DAMN THEM !!!!

for comaprision , the hemi is 5.7 liters , the 1997 5.7 corvette LS1 also made 345 hp , the escalde does it on 6.0 liters , if i remeber right tho the hemi makes beatter torque than the LS1 , of coarse this is all blown out of the water with the 5.7 liter ls6 engine , 405 hp , makes dodges achement sound pretty tame

for picktrucks tho the only other engine around 5.7 liter is the nissan titan with the 5.65 endurace v8 , there only making 305 hp and 380 lb ft , of coarse im not sure what ford has around that size (5.4?) , but i hear they are 3 valves per cylander

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
the hp rating for the Titan are higly underrated. The thing does 15.4 1/4's and the Hemi does 15.7's+. In the newest Popular Mechanics magazine the Titan killed all the other trucks in 0-60 and 1/4. I'd get an F-150 or a Titan over some over hyped stupid Hemi pickup.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Ok, I've got to come to the defense of Dodge here. Not the Hemi's defense, but the Cummins race. They're torque monsters, but not speed demons. For towing ability, the Cummins HD will crush even the Duramax. With 302 horses, and 555 ft lbs of torque, even more coming out soon. Especially since some aftermarkets have added 60 horse and 185 ft lbs to it... *shiver* The new 3500's with the Cummins, the biggest versions can tow I think 16,500. The Duramax tops at 15,000 or 15,500 as I recall. Ford hits 13,500 or 14,000 I think. Plus the Cummins motor is a work motor. With most owners seeing 200,000+ miles without a problem from the engine, Dodge chose the right company to outsource to. I used to work at a McDonald's, and there were 2 high mileage Rams running through. 1 had 570,000 miles on it. Original motor, not rebuilt. The other guy, his truck looked rough, but that's because he had 1.2 MILLION miles on it. Rebuilt at 620k or so. I forget the exact number. Long distance animal transport hauler. He'd been through 5 trannies, and 2 turbos, but the motor was still strong.
And as a bit of defense for Dodge overall, their trucks tend to be more Truck than Ford or Chevy. I think the Hemi Ram out pulls the Vortec Chevy's and the gas Fords. The Diesel's I know Dodge wins the towing contest. Dodge seems to build a truck with more heavy labor in mind than Ford or Chevy. Guess I should be saying GM, but not too much hard labor for the Caddy trucks, and is there a difference between a Chevy and a GMC truck?
But, I am a strong supporter of Dodge trucks, had bad experiences with a Ford and a Chevy. Had an 89 F350, with the big V8, and it got out-pulled by a Dodge (Cummins) the entire trip from Jersey to FL. Mind you the Dodge was pulling 4 horses and steel trailer (Figure about 7000 lbs) and the Ford only had to pull some dogs and a trailer (probably 4000 lbs or less) but the Dodge had no problems walking away from the Ford. And don't get me started on that pos Chevy truck. 97 Silverado, with the deisel. It got towed farther than it ran. Literally. Thing broke down constantly, had it less than 6 months, and it went into the shop every other time we drove it. It'd break down and have to be towed. Florida Lemon Law took it back. The Dodge we have now, 97 Ram, 3500 series 4x4 with a Cummins. The problems we've had with the motor itself without cause are 1. Had the serpentine belt break. Some 60k miles on it. The reason I mention without cause is my fault. I did kind of, uhm, sink it into a rather large puddle. When it landed in there, cracked the transfer case, and the thing sat in the water for some 5 hours. Engine submerged for 5 hours. Tow guy pulled it ou, and lost $50 to me. The thing started right up. Ended up having the radiator rust out though, because dodge didn't properly clean that out, so the mud that was ipacked against it corroded it out. Motor still pulls just fine. :worship: See why I love my cummins?

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
well in regards to the titan , i like it alot more than the domestic and other forein offerings , i used to be a die hard silverado fan but when the titan came out that all she wrote for me . for our purposes we only need to two around 4400-5000 lbs on a tandem axel 22 foot racecar trailer , no diesel needed .

being in the military ive dealt with damn near every deisel engine and diesel pickup and shadow is absoultely right , the GM 6.5 turbo deisel is absolute junk , a distant relivive of the olds diesel with the same stupid roosamaster injector pump and lines ran on a half arse block that came from a gas engine , ford wasnt much beatter , i hated dealing the the 7.3 powerstroke , it used oil pressue to fire the injectors thru a elabortate electric and extarnal gerotor oil pump setup , absolute junk too , but a dodge deisel was the best damn thing , a cummins is probably the best diesel out there , well engineered and they seem to run forever , only probalems i encountered dealt with cooling , only only fault in the truck it was attached to was we constanly went thru pinions and ring gears (bobtailed 3500s towing 10-12k lbs) other than that and normal suspesiion compnet wear the trucks were wonderful , even tranny jobs were fairly easy , dodge left a hole in the cab to acess the upper tranny bolts

i wished they would have dropped the cummins in the humvees would have saved me tons of greif in the desert , never had a lick of trouble out of a cummins , even the NTC400 turbos that were in the fire trucks , only failure there was a leakey turboshaft seal , from improper cooldown and warm up proceedures (damn firemen )

then there are the glow plugs in the gm 6.5 , when they go bad the ends swell up , and you cant get em out , you end up breaking the plug off in the head and it goes into the comustion chamer , i called gm to ask what i should do , they said "change the plug and leave the broken stuff in there ".....were talking a chunk of steel in there guys !!! gm said dont worry about it .... nevertheless to say ive doen a few cylander head jobs to get those stupid glow plug ends out
sorry you got me wrong shadow , but i swear by the cummins diesel

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
I will admit to a few of you that the Titan LOOKS good right now. The motor design is a nice look, but, I reserve judgement on it for now. A truck motor sees some stresses and requirements that car motors dont, and any new device does need to be field tested. Give me 2 yrs of good performance from the new Titans, and then I'll give it more credit. For now, I say it has potential, but still needs the trial by fire as it were.
The Duramax diesel is still in that early life phase for me, though I'll give them credit. Looks like GM did things properly with a diesel finally.
Ford trucks still suck. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
the name hemi sells, arn't northstars technically hemi's? by the design of the combustion chamber and all?

most bad-ass fullsize truck??? HARLEY DAVIDSON F-150, no contest, sorry, none, nope, nilch, zero. that truck rocks, and all the aftermarket of a lightning, but a supercrew cab

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Dubya said:
most bad-ass fullsize truck??? HARLEY DAVIDSON F-150, no contest, sorry, none, nope, nilch, zero. that truck rocks, and all the aftermarket of a lightning, but a supercrew cab
I will take this Harley Davidson F-150 anyday!!

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
I like the looks of that Harley Davidson truck, but I'll still take an 04 Ram 3500, Ext cab, duallie with the long bed and a Cummins HO. Plenty of power, not the fastest truck out, but I can find enough aftermarket out to make it look bad as hell, and I'll be much more confident in that motor than any Ford motor. Plus, I still need to tow more than that Harley truck would find comfortable.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
My 78 Fleetwood owners manual said it can tow either 6000 or 8000 pounds (cant remember which) with the right hitch. So no truck for me thanks.

·
Registered
989 Posts
davesdeville said:
My 78 Fleetwood owners manual said it can tow either 6000 or 8000 pounds (cant remember which) with the right hitch. So no truck for me thanks.
The previous owner of my car put on a tow hitch. LOL. How classic would that be to see an old caddy towing a huge boat around?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah, the Ford Harley truck is nice...so is the lightning. HOWEVER if you have yet to see / hear of the Dodge SRT-10. Do a search, there is simply not a more badass truck available. 8.3L V-10 straight out of the Viper with 500 horsepower 500 lb/ft of torque and a 6-spd manual. Let's see any other manufacturer compete with that as far as a performance street truck goes.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Sean McDonald said:
Yeah, the Ford Harley truck is nice...so is the lightning. HOWEVER if you have yet to see / hear of the Dodge SRT-10. Do a search, there is simply not a more badass truck available. 8.3L V-10 straight out of the Viper with 500 horsepower 500 lb/ft of torque and a 6-spd manual. Let's see any other manufacturer compete with that as far as a performance street truck goes.
Sorry but the 6 speed manual is useless. And for as much as your paying for the truck and all your getting is .4 sec quicker in the 1/4 then a stock Lightning, I'd rather save myself like $18k and get the L and have some money left over for mod's to beat that over priced POS out of the water.

·
Registered
377 Posts
sean, you here anything about the new lightning? its a 05, and its going to rock the srt 10 just like the lightning does to the ram right now. 550+hp 6speed. its a intercooled supercharged v8, but the intercooler's got a twist. not sure exactly how it works, but it uses the AC system to build a charge of cold air which it hold till you press the "HOLD THE F*** ON" button. i thought ford said it can hold a 30 second charge at a time, don't know how long it takes to recharge.

still love that harley truck. the new harley won't be a f150, its going to be a 250 i think, i know its not a 150, 250 or 350 can't remember

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Its a guy's truck over at srtforums.com. But the setup your talking about for the Lightning is called a supercooler. Its supposedly supposed to add 75-100 hp. Its a pretty cool setup but some people are already doubting that it will make it to the production version of the Lightning. But as for the Harley Davidson truck, I think they are going to keep the F-150 verison and also add the Harley Davidson F-250 as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts