Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sport Wagon 3.6
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the opinion of the Goodyear RS-A2 on the CTS?

My 2010 sportwagon with the 19" wheel / summer tire package is about due for new tires. Looks like it was originally equipped with Continentals (judging from the warranty card in with the owner's manual). Previous owner installed some Falkens, which are getting worn pretty thin on the inside edge, and they're very noisy. No ideal how long they've been on the car, but at 62K miles, it seems awfully early for a second set of tires.

Regardless of the current tire situation, there are some smoking deals currently on the Goodyears. I can get a set of 4 from Tirerack for about $575, delivered. Some other places have them for even less. That about half the price of Michelins or Continentals. No other major name brand tires even comes close price-wise.

Wondering if there a quality or performance issue behind the blow-out pricing, or they are just being discontinued and are clearing inventory.

Googling for reviews I find some very mixed feedback.

Not terribly concerned with winter weather performance, as my other car is AWD and will serve the few times the need will arise around here.

Anybody running these? Were they one of the OEM offerings?

·
Registered
2007 SRX Sport, 2008 CTS
184 Posts
I've had several sets of Goodyear's, even their expensive Triple Treads. All terrible. Very low traction on all I've tried. My 08 CTS had RS-A on them and I swapped them out for Michelin as soon as I got the car. For winter I have a set of Toyo winter which are pretty good, not the best winter tire I've had, but better than any Goodyear.
Personally, I'll never buy Goodyear again.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,246 Posts
I've never experienced the RS-A2, but the original RS-As were pretty terrible. I'm guessing they must be getting phased out or something like that, as Tire Rack has them marked down nearly 50% off.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
1,229 Posts
They were OEM and are much better than the original rsa. I keep using them for the price point alone. I paid 137 each including installation. They get me through all the seasons here on long island just fine

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sport Wagon 3.6
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were OEM and are much better than the original rsa. I keep using them for the price point alone. I paid 137 each including installation. They get me through all the seasons here on long island just fine
How many miles are you getting out of them?

·
Registered
2012 CTS Premium Sportwagon w/ Touring, Black Raven
18 Posts
I just replaced my 2012 Sportwagon's OEM Goodyear RS-A2s at 30K miles - I was starting to see the wear bars. Bought a set of exactly the same tires (P245/45R-19 Goodyear Eagle RS-A2) from Tire Rack for $536 and change, which included shipping. The only thing I've noticed with the new ones is they are a bit noisier - due to the deeper tread, I suppose. I'm happy with the tires performance and handling, especially for the price - the Bridgestone Potenzas were $73 more per tire, and the Michelin Pilots were $128 more per tire! We just had some actual rain here in So CA (yay!) and the wet handling was excellent.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sport Wagon 3.6
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It appears Sams Club currently has the best deal: $120/tire + tax & install = $574!!!

I've historically gotten some real good deals on tires at Sams, but always much less exotic sizes. Really surprised to find this.

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
I really like the factory-installed Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 tires on my '11 CTS, which was the tire chosen by Cadillac/GM for the CTS's FE5 19 inch all-season tire package (beginning in model-year 2011). For a 45 series all-season 19 inch tire they perform surprisingly well in winter. As well they provide a really good ride - much better than the OEM 18 inch Michelin MXM4 all-season tires that came on my previous '08 and '09 CTS cars. The RS-A2s handle bumps in the road very well, which is no doubt attributable to the tire's unique sidewall construction (i.e. carbon fiber-reinforced sidewalls). The tires also provide for very decent handling - certainly good enough for me.
I consider the Goodyear RS-A2s to be an excellent purchase, especially now with the super low prices being charged. I strongly recommend the tires.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sport Wagon 3.6
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ended up purchasing the tires from the dealer. They advertised price matching on tires, but I never needed to play that card. Their quote came in below Sam's Club.

The way they itemized the service ticket really doesn't make any sense to me, but the bottom line was $566.36, out the door.

Don't think I've even put 100 miles on them at this point. All but about 10 of those were around town. Too early for a review, but I will say they are definitely much quieter than the worn out Falkens I replaced. This weekend I'll be running the family out of state with a lot of rural highway. I'll get a much better feel for them.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
457 Posts
There is a very good reason everyone wants to compare their tires to Michelins. They might be pricey, but they are the best. I've tried many different tires at many different prices and every time I think I got a deal and bought something cheap, I always end up wishing I'd just bought the Michelin's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts