Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I hated saying goodbye to my old STS (2006 1SF, black on black, adaptive cruise, chrome wheels, Tuscany Leather, MRC), it had almost 160,000 on it but looked like it was brand new & rode the same. I bought it new & it was the best car I had ever owned. I don't really like the XTS, especially since it doesn't have a Northstar & I really didn't want to spend the money. I really wanted the same car but only newer & since I found out Rainsense was discontinued after 2009, I really wanted an 08 or 09 loaded. Well I finally found it. A 2008 1SG AWD Platinum Edition. I was happy to find out that chrome wheels were part of the Platinum Edition because they really dress the car up. After my last 3 STS's that were black on black, it was a little refreshing to get one that wasn't! This one has the Thunder Gray Chromaflair paint which is incredible in the sunlight. It also has the cashmere w/cocoa accents interior. Great combination. Drove 4 hours to get it but it was definitely worth it. It did seem to ride a little different than the 06. I'm wondering if that's because it's AWD because they both have the MRC suspension but it still drove incredible!

The only problem that I noticed was that the amber indicator on the outside rearview mirror for the Blind Zone Alert is very dim. The one on the passenger side is very bright. I'm wondering what kind of fix that requires or do you have to replace the whole mirror?

Thanks,

Max

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
The SBZA indicator is lit up by some amber LEDs (I think 2 per mirror), perhaps 1 LED is dead or the mirror is dirty.

It will ride different due to AWD being heavier and the front shocks are a bit shorter now as it has AWD, you also have a 6spd trans now (but that shouldn't affect ride).
The other factor would be tires, new vs old and make / model of tire will make a difference as well.

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm having the mirror checked out today. I really haven't had a chance to play with the car too much or even check out the tires but I'm off work tomorrow so I plan on getting a little more intimate with it! :)

I was wondering how the 6sp tranny would be different. I haven't noticed too big of a difference yet.

Thanks,

Max

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Looking at my teardown pics from a mirror I had (was hit by deer) there are 4 LEDs that light up the SBZA. The LEDs are pointed towards some reflectors that curve the light around to shine through the SBZA indicator.

More pics here:
http://campl.us/hL8L8bLL23E

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a little FYI in case anyone else has the same problem with the Side Blind Zone on the rear view mirror, I just had to replace the mirror glass itself, not the whole mirror much to my delight! I was worried how much that would cost to also have to repaint it! lol Blind Zone indicator is now bright as can be!

Max

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,623 Posts
^^ What??? the side blind zone indicators are on the two outside mirrors, not the center rear view mirror.

Maximln, you got a great car. I would have preferred my 2009 NorthStar to be in ThunderGrey but the silver is ok. The interior is amazing, with the all leather panels(your door panels, dash, ect are all leather!), and the alcantra suede headling and side pillars, and the french stitch seams on the doors, etc. An Extremeny Nice car if you ask me.

Now if I can only find a well cared for 2010 STS-V...

·
Registered
2008 STS4 V8 1SG Platinum Edition
606 Posts
congrats on the 2008 Platinum. I found my Platinum 1SG with 38k miles this past November and still LOVE it. I don't believe we have the Alcantra head liner in 08. At least I don't. We do have the nice stitching and softer leather but I miss the rear spoiler. May try to put one on someday but hate drilling into perfectly good metal :)

I love the chrome wheels as well although they are at the beginning stages of corrosion. Still in good shape however. How are yours Max? Perfect??

I also find the 6SP having trouble finding a gear on occasion. When I drive it soft or hard it works ok. In between, it seems to get confused and I get clunking. Maybe I just have that problem I don't know.

Anyway, Good luck, it's really a nice riding vehicle!

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! I am really enjoying it. It drives so different from my 06. Everything just seems tighter & it rides so well. I am really loving the paint after 3 black on black STS's. I love the 2 tone interior. It looks very rich & elegant. It doesn't have the Alcantra suede headliner but everything else is great!

Max

^^ What??? the side blind zone indicators are on the two outside mirrors, not the center rear view mirror.

Maximln, you got a great car. I would have preferred my 2009 NorthStar to be in ThunderGrey but the silver is ok. The interior is amazing, with the all leather panels(your door panels, dash, ect are all leather!), and the alcantra suede headling and side pillars, and the french stitch seams on the doors, etc. An Extremeny Nice car if you ask me.

Now if I can only find a well cared for 2010 STS-V...
----------

Thank you! I feel like I hit the jackpot. I've been looking for months to find another STS. It had to be an 08 or 09 with at minimum an 1SF package, V8, with adaptive cruise. Most of the cars out there are V6's or rental vehicles with mimimum options. When I found this one, I couldn't believe it. Platinum and AWD? I knew i couldn't let this one get away! lol

So far, the chrome wheels seem good. I had the same wheels on my 06 that I purchased from the dealer shortly after I purchased the 06 & I figured whatever car I found, I would have to buy chrome wheels as wells but much to my delight, the chrome wheels came standard with Platinum package! I feel like I got very lucky.

I haven't really noticed too much difference in the 6sp vs the 5sp in my 06. I will have to pay a little more attention to it to see if I can tell a difference.

It really is a nice riding vehicle! I will take some pics & post them.

Max

congrats on the 2008 Platinum. I found my Platinum 1SG with 38k miles this past November and still LOVE it. I don't believe we have the Alcantra head liner in 08. At least I don't. We do have the nice stitching and softer leather but I miss the rear spoiler. May try to put one on someday but hate drilling into perfectly good metal :)
I love the chrome wheels as well although they are at the beginning stages of corrosion. Still in good shape however. How are yours Max? Perfect??

I also find the 6SP having trouble finding a gear on occasion. When I drive it soft or hard it works ok. In between, it seems to get confused and I get clunking. Maybe I just have that problem I don't know.

Anyway, Good luck, it's really a nice riding vehicle!

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know this 08 STS is the same size as my 06 STS but for some reason, it feels & drives like it is a bigger car. I almost feel like I am driving a DTS! I really love the way this car feels & drives!

Max

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
The 08 AWD is a bit heavier than the 06 was. I'd also assume the 6spd trans has a bit different weight too.
Maybe the 06 had worn out suspension and different tires too. New tires will give you a plusher ride.

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had replaced the magnetic shocks in the 06 probably about a year ago & I always use the recommended Michelin tires. Maybe its the color?? My last 3 STS's have been black on black. This one is the Thunder Grey with the Cashmere/Cocoa interior. Maybe because it's a lighter interior? Probably because it is a heavier car I guess. I just can't put my finger on it! lol

Max

1 - 12 of 12 Posts