Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 STS, I love the car but its getting up there in age, I went to trade it in on a 07 Acura TSX and the dealer told me that my car is old and worthless, I love the car so much I decided that I am going to keep it for the winter and get a CTS for the summer.

I did some research and I think I want an 04-05 with the 3.6L, I know about the rear diff noise, I am wondering if there is a fix for that? What the bezel trouble is? I am not sure what a bezel is and when the timming belt needs to be changed?

this is one that I might buy.
http://www.spartachevy.com/VehicleDetails/388923673
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
03 CTS
15 Posts
The bezel is on the rear trunk...the insert that is around the licence plate, that includes the reverse lights, early CTS's had an all clear, lense style "surround" if you want to call it that instead of bezel, they then switched to a color matched rear with only the reverse lights being a lense. Apparently they can fall apart. I have an 03,one of the first I assume with the build date like feb 02, and havent had any problems, but the color matched ones look better IMO

·
Registered
Cadillac
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I found another one (04, 3.6 W/O NAV) and asked the dealer if there is a resolution for the diff noise issue, the dealer said only some models have the issue and if I give him the VIN he can see if it has the options that the known issues is affected by, the dealer told me that that it does not and also told me that it has another year or 30K miles on the extended warranty.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
Cadillac
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if anyone is reading this but I bought it, its in very good condition, only thing wrong is that the left hid keeps turning on and off. I am getting it replaced tomorrow.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
You have a great CTS. To identify rear end problem, put car in reverse and accelerate while turning steering wheel to hard right; then hard left (while accelerating). If you hear a chattering, then rear is defective. If no chattering, you are ok.

Only synthetic oil for engine.

·
Registered
Cadillac
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I love it so far, I only found one thing wrong with it, the drivers side HID bulb must be going bad, it flickers for about 15 min then shuts off completely, I hear changing the bulb is a pain, anyone able to help me.

·
Registered
Cadillac
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also if I have to replace the bulb where is the cheapest place and what do I need?

·
Registered
Cadillac
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I just took it to the dealer to get some warranty issue taken care of (window switch & moon roof switch)
The dealer told me that I need the following maintenance performed

REC FUEL TUNE $265
TRANS FLUID EXCHANGE $235
COOLANT FLUSH $150
POWER STEERING FLUSHED $98.00

This seems high and not needed, I am sure I can do the coolant and power steering, how important is the rest

·
Registered
Cadillac
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone have an idea why I cant get responses on here?

is there a secrete code or something, seems like my posts get no attention and when I was on the STS forum they were.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Maybe try starting new threads, I think the dealer is trying to up sell you. those things wouldn't hurt, but how many K on your car?

·
Registered
2006 CTS
42 Posts
Thanks, I love it so far, I only found one thing wrong with it, the drivers side HID bulb must be going bad, it flickers for about 15 min then shuts off completely, I hear changing the bulb is a pain, anyone able to help me.
You have to remove the front bumper to do it. You might as well replace both ballasts and all the other bulbs whiles you're in there.

See here for how to remove it: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bumperremoval/index.html

As for services; I've always been one to let the dealer do the work. I know they're screwing me on the $$$ side of things; but at least if they mess something up they have to take care of it. And I know how to be Mr. Superdick and always get something out of it when the dealer does something shaddy.

·
Registered
07 CTS w/ performance pkg, 18" wheel pkg
132 Posts
If you bought it from a dealer the headlight should be on them. The other stuff, well a local shop can do it all for a lot less. I never use the stealership unless for warranty work.

If you're changing the Trans fluid I highly recommend Amsoil fluid. It'll last longer and protect your trans a lot better. Not sure what year your car is, but Amsoil just released a new lower viscosity fluid that is good for 05 and up. Should see better mpg with it. I'll be doing it in our 07 b4 winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts