Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my grandma is about to get a new car and she's asking me about some good small cars. She likes nice, sporty cars (her last three cars have been RX-7s (a 1981 and a 1990) and a Volkswagen GTI (2000). She lives in a small town, and whenever she wants to get her car serviced, she has to come up to Little Rock to get it worked on, so she wants her next car to be something that she can buy locally.

So we looked at it, and her options would be:
Honda Civic
Nissan Altima
Chevy Malibu
Hyundai Sonata
Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan
Ford Mustang (V6)

I don't think she'll get the Civic, because she wants a car with at least 160HP (some passing power, as she said...), her current GTI has about 150HP I think...and the new Civic only has 140HP. The Nissan is probably out too because she doesn't like those huge gauges (she likes her GTI because she is short and can see over the dash)...

I think I will probably be taking her to the Ford dealership tommorow (she is in town visiting) to let her check out the new Fords. Although she isn't necessarily partial to fords, she has owned them before (an old thunderbird) and wants to see what the new stuff is like.

Another note, in case you haven't figured it out, she's not your ordinary old lady. Most of her friends drive big boats like Crown Vics, Town Cars, etc. She likes cars like we guys like cars (Imagine a 75 year old zooming down the interstate in a RX-7 at 90MPH:thumbsup: ) very cool grandma indeed...

Anyway, I wanted to know what you guys thought about those models listed, and which one you would get. She only wants to spend about $20,000, and her price limit is $25,000 - anything over that is off limits. She wants to have good features though - leather seats, auto transmission, CD player, etc. and a sunroof would be nice too, but isn't essential...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
2002-2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE or 3.5SL
240-250hp, 5 speed automatic, 6 speed manual optional, it has CD player standard probably, leather is standard in the 3.5SL

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
2002-2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE or 3.5SL
240-250hp, 5 speed automatic, 6 speed manual optional, it has CD player standard probably, leather is standard in the 3.5SL
+1. The Altima with the V6 is a nice car, and a great runner. Sounds like a young and cool grandmother. It's not often you see a granny in an RX 7.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As she says, just because your old doesn't mean you have to ACT old. Age is just a number to her:p...

So you guys think the Altima would work? Remember, she's very short, and she awhile back she rented some Pontiac (G6 maybe???) and hated the fact that she couldn't see over the dashboard because it had huge, stick-out gauges...

I was thinking Sonata, since it comes standard with everything she wanted and it has that DOHC V6, and a really good warranty...

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
Stoneage_Caddy said:
get her a mini .....damn near bought one fo them today myself ....
I saw a Mini Cooper S this week in Idaho and I have to admit I like them. They are a sharp little car.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Sounds like the opposite of me. I'm the young guy with the "granny mobile" I bet the first owners of my car were an older couple. I wonder if i'll buy "kids cars" when I'm in my 60's and '70s. Something like a Trans Am. Hmmmm

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What Jesda:hmm: Yes, but I don't think she's your type:histeric:She's just a BIT too old for you Jesda...old enough to be your grandma:sneaky:

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well she's driven everything practically (Grandpa owned a construction business and was a GM diehard). She HATES Chevrolet, she recalls having to replace the alternator SIX times in her Chevy pick-up, and her Bel Air was one of the worst cars she ever owned. She liked the T-bird, and she liked her Camaro she had (before she got the RX-7). I think it was a late 70's model...But she's somewhat impulsive when it comes to cars; she got the RX-7 because she saw one outside of a restaurant in New York (this was when they were new) and she said, "I'm gonna get one of those!" She got it, and then got a '90, but they had gotten much too expensive by the time she got the GTI. Now she's *thinking* about getting another car, but is afraid something newer/better will come out next year. I told her not to worry since most of these models WERE brand new (Fusion, Mustang, Civic, Sonata, etc.)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Sounds much like my mother!

65 and driving a BMW 330cd. How about the Mazda RX8??

I dont know how much these are, but i think she could see over the dashboard, since my wife can and she is only 5'2".

Failing that, there is the Mercury Milan, which to me looks like a fine car,b ut you see more of them than I do so you can make judgemnt on that!

How about a Jetta?

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
ben72227 said:
Another note, in case you haven't figured it out, she's not your ordinary old lady. Most of her friends drive big boats like Crown Vics, Town Cars, etc. She likes cars like we guys like cars (Imagine a 75 year old zooming down the interstate in a RX-7 at 90MPH:thumbsup: ) very cool grandma indeed...
That's cool your Grandma likes hot cars. Even though I don't like Fords as a rule, I'll admit I like the new Mustang. I'd vote for a Mustang GT.

My grandmother had a '57 Bel Air convertible, then traded it in on a '62 Impala convertible. Sad to say, her last car was a hideous gold '71 Plymouth Fury that was a POS when it was new. My other grandmother had the perfect old lady car, a Plymouth Valiant with a slant six.

Do a search on the word "grandmother" or "grandma" in the Lounge. Youbetcha77 has some great stories about his hellbent-for-leather grandma and her Caddys.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
On the list I am a big fan of the new civics, I think they are great looking cars.
Its car of the year and ranked number one in the latest crash tests too.
If she wants sporty, get the Si coupe.

She could probably get a rx8 close to 25k too....your granny sounds cool!

Yup, according to carsdirect you can buy a brand new rx8 in Arkansas for $22K

http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=71630&acode=USB50MAC161A0&restore=false

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
My mom's mom always had big Buicks,
71 Lesabre Sedan w/ 350
84 Electra Sedan
92 Roadmaster Limited Sedan

My dad's stepmom has always had compact toyotas
'86 Tercel wagon
some others
05 Prius

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
G6 GTP Coupe........with 6spd manual option :) right in the $20k-$25k range

75y/o granny driving a RX-7 and GTi..... 18y/o guy driving '79 DeVille, '93 Deville and '89 Oldsmobile...... what is this world coming to? :)

·
Registered
'02 Eldorado; '86 Porsche 911 'Vert; '07 Ford Escape Limited
1,157 Posts
How about a Lexus IS? It's a fairly compact car and a BARGAIN especially for a Lexus. They start at around $30,000 (a bit more), but has all the comfort features you could want.

If she's doesn't want to spend quite that much, I'd suggest a new Nissan Maxima, very nice looking car.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Night Wolf said:
18y/o guy driving '79 DeVille, '93 Deville and '89 Oldsmobile...... what is this world coming to? :)
Thats how I feel......old :(
hahaha jk!

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys, I love the suggestions, but remember, the brands I listed are the ones we're considering here - She lives in Pine Bluff, AR and they only have the popular brands there (Domestics, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, etc.). She could get a VW or a Mazda or something else, but that would mean she'd have to keep coming up here everytime she wants to get it serviced, and she wants to buy a car that she can get serviced at home.

She's great friends with the guy that own Trotter Ford in Pine Bluff, they go to church together, so she knows that he would treat her good if she needed service with her car, which is why she's looking at ford...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts