Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Hey,
I'm interested in purchasing a radar detector for my 86 Brougham. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on what to buy. I am starting school down in Florida in January and with the Florida Radar laws it is illegal to have a detector that runs off the vehicles power supply (ie: cig lighter) however one that runs off its own supply is completly legal, don't ask me why. So Does anyone know a good cordless radar detector. I know some of these things aren't worth the packaing they come in, and I don't want to find out I bought crap after I get pulled over. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with you sandman, as far as I can remember Virgenia is the only state that has a law on radar detectors. Unless your a trucker. It is elligal for truck drivers to use them in any state, witch is bull crap :mad:
As far as the best goes. They will all get you a ticket. The police radar is so advanced now that if he hits you with lazer you wont even have time to take your foot off the gas and he allready has you nailed.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I drove with virginia with a radar detector and currently my radar detector is set up in georgia......VA was a bit hairy as i had it low on the dash and whenever i saw a cop i pulled it down real quick.....but hey it saved me so many tickets that if i got a ticket for having one id still be up and its not a moving violation...

But back to your original point,
The best systems on the market are The Pasport 8500 and Valentine 1. Also there is now the SOLO 2 which is wireless and basically the same thing as the passport 8500 i have the passport 8500 and i love it.....its basically just as good as the valentine one (The only real difference is that the passport wont tell you if the radar signal is coming from infront or behind you) I like the passport because its $100 cheaper and much easier to use and set up.

The laser situation is not as bad as you may think, laser is only used by certain cops, usually in my experience it has been the occasional state trooper who has set up a radar trap, but most the time laser is not an issue. Laser cannot be used in haze or rain, has very limited range, requires special certification, and is not easy to use. Most cops you KA or K band with a few of the older more rural departments using X. A radar detector, for me, is a very good investment, especially if you use it as a mode of defense and not an excuse to speed.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Btw i was on my other forum and someone is trying to get rid of their walentine 1 for a good deal..... Ill quote it

"I need to sell off a few luxury items I'm not getting as much use out of as I thought I was going to- the incredible V1 is unfortunately the first to go. This version 1.8 is Valentine Research's latest iteration and arguably the best detector on the market. I just purchased a brand new, never used, hardwire kit for it, two new sets of suction cups for the windshield mount, velcro fasteners and a coiled power cord. Also comes with the manual and straight-wire with cigarette lighter adaptor. Excellent condition. This thing works flawlessly and has saved me numerous times! I will be coming back for one when I can afford it again. This will ship via USPS Priority Mail 2-3day to the lower-48 states. Retails for $399.99 + shipping without the hardwire kit for the exact same unit.

I will ship out of the United States if you're willing to pay the additional charges. I take PayPal, cashier's checks and money orders!"

He wants $375 for it, but thats with free shipping and a hardwire kit!I have his email if you want it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey I checked out that info again. Seems I need to pay more attention, it was for portable radio / police scanners not radar detectors. Hey thanks BUILDINGCTSAMG, but iI am on a tight budget being a college students and I was hoping to spend no more than $250. Are any of the detectors you folks were talking about in that price range? thanks.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
How do these compare to the $60 ones you can get at electronics stores???

I dont really need one (i dont speed that much, except on certain places where the cops CANT hide), but im more/less curious.....

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Basically their range is up to 5-6 times as great, they have radar detector detector blocakge (i.e. cops can see that you have one) have tons of functions and can differntiaite between false alarms and the ral thing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
BUILDINGCTSAMG