Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know... I was thinkin this morning... as I flew down my traffic lightless road to work... do I WOT to much? :confused:

Well, I think that for the longevity of the N* as well as your pleasure... we should figure that out....

I notice folks talking of these WOT's, who practice doing so in 2nd gear... and im like... boy does that seep the fun out of it or what? I mean... are we doing that for a reason other that police? Maybe MPG? well... I'd rather purchase a RADAR DETECTOR... and just fill 'er up!

I severly enjoy cruising 80 mph as i pass some suped up foreign car... of course... yall are Caddy owners... you know what happens... they wanna keep up... maybe even attemp a PASS!!!! why never!!! :thehand:

Thats when i hear my N* yelling OPEN ME UP!!! and I couldnt refuse as my understanding tells me that... not only is my urge for that downshift to kick in going to be extremely fast, furious and make me proud as the lil foreign dissapears into the rear view... but heathy too? ok...

if thats true... (please i dont think i cant handle some one telling me its not)... then why wouldn't all of us proud owners practice our WOT's this way? A radar detector does wonders (where legal) and c'mon... gas is worth it to me... imma 80's baby so i dont know any better.

is the OLD FASHIONED 120 mph sprint an okay method of doing a WOT? or does that cause more wear on other parts? BTW what is the 02 STS governed at... hurry and tell me... i dont wanna be forced to find out!!!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,126 Posts
:rolleyes: Depending on the tire option shown on the driver door sticker, a '99-'03 STS could be a S, H, or Z option (??? 112, 130, and ~150+). If YOU ordered it, Z, right??? If the dealer ordered it for floorplanning, they took the best buy from GM that week. The ultimate WOT is in D and keep your foot in it until you reach fuel cutoff. The 1-2 or 1-2-3 WOT is for city dwellers and near suburbanites with Smokey and traffic to contend with. The N* and vehicle love rpm and speed. If you drive it smartly, it will last forever. If you beat it up, well, it will break........(Legal? That, unfortunately, depends on the speed limits and interpretation of "reckless driving" in your area...)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
is the OLD FASHIONED 120 mph sprint an okay method of doing a WOT?
It's RPM not MPH that is important. You can do it and stay within the legal speed limit.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Ya know... I was thinkin this morning... as I flew down my traffic lightless road to work... do I WOT to much? :confused:

Well, I think that for the longevity of the N* as well as your pleasure... we should figure that out....

I notice folks talking of these WOT's, who practice doing so in 2nd gear... and im like... boy does that seep the fun out of it or what? I mean... are we doing that for a reason other that police? Maybe MPG? well... I'd rather purchase a RADAR DETECTOR... and just fill 'er up!

I severly enjoy cruising 80 mph as i pass some suped up foreign car... of course... yall are Caddy owners... you know what happens... they wanna keep up... maybe even attemp a PASS!!!! why never!!! :thehand:

Thats when i hear my N* yelling OPEN ME UP!!! and I couldnt refuse as my understanding tells me that... not only is my urge for that downshift to kick in going to be extremely fast, furious and make me proud as the lil foreign dissapears into the rear view... but heathy too? ok...

if thats true... (please i dont think i cant handle some one telling me its not)... then why wouldn't all of us proud owners practice our WOT's this way? A radar detector does wonders (where legal) and c'mon... gas is worth it to me... imma 80's baby so i dont know any better.

is the OLD FASHIONED 120 mph sprint an okay method of doing a WOT? or does that cause more wear on other parts? BTW what is the 02 STS governed at... hurry and tell me... i dont wanna be forced to find out!!!
I would not worry so much about worn car parts; how about the car that pulls out in front of you when you are going WOT!! In some states, that is some kind of negligent homicide with a penalty of fines and years in jail. What happens if one of your tires fails, and the car you run into is a relative or friend of yours? As an adult, we are expected to take responsibility for our actions, except maybe for Bill Clinton.

You talked about being "proud as....." Complete that sentence when you clobber someone with your vehicle.

Have a safe week.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Guess I'm lucky to live in a fairly rural area because I would never let her rip when around other people on the road. Of course there are some long, straight, desolate roads round these parts. I've only gotten her to 105... haven't quite built up the nerve to take her to the fuel cutoff... it's coming though, I can feel it.

Ha... you have to deal with kids in their little ricers.. I get to deal with rednecks in pickup trucks. For some reason they can't quite understand that just because their Ford and/or Chevy has a V8 under that hood, doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna beat me. Besides.. my daddy told me a long time ago.. it doesn't matter how many cylinders you have, but how you use them. Taking that a step further, I've always held the belief that if one learns how to properly handle highspeed situations, they're better equipped to handle the lowspeed ones...

So... I don't know where you live, but if you're out in the sticks and away from others, have at it.. it's your car and it's you life.. God I love this country... I think I need to find my Lee Greenwood tape.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Guess I'm lucky to live in a fairly rural area because I would never let her rip when around other people on the road. Of course there are some long, straight, desolate roads round these parts. I've only gotten her to 105... haven't quite built up the nerve to take her to the fuel cutoff... it's coming though, I can feel it.

Ha... you have to deal with kids in their little ricers.. I get to deal with rednecks in pickup trucks. For some reason they can't quite understand that just because their Ford and/or Chevy has a V8 under that hood, doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna beat me. Besides.. my daddy told me a long time ago.. it doesn't matter how many cylinders you have, but how you use them. Taking that a step further, I've always held the belief that if one learns how to properly handle highspeed situations, they're better equipped to handle the lowspeed ones...

So... I don't know where you live, but if you're out in the sticks and away from others, have at it.. it's your car and it's you life.. God I love this country... I think I need to find my Lee Greenwood tape.
Tell that to the judge. Note this post from a forum member today on another forum:

75 MPH on a smooth highway and suddenly...... blam!!!! rear tire blows. Scared the livin' bejesus out of me

less than 4K on the tires and the car is a driver, never been raced or even a cherp out of the rear end

Anyone have any idea what could have caused this?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Tell that to the judge. Note this post from a forum member today on another forum:

75 MPH on a smooth highway and suddenly...... blam!!!! rear tire blows. Scared the livin' bejesus out of me

less than 4K on the tires and the car is a driver, never been raced or even a cherp out of the rear end

Anyone have any idea what could have caused this?
I'm not saying there isn't a certain amount of recklessness to it.. but I've given up a whole lot of things I used to have *fun* with. Whenever I decide to blast down a road I do it knowing full well the possible consequences. Whether others do, I can't say.

Either way, I sure will tell that judge the very same if I ever see him.. but after darn near 20 years of driving I haven't had to see him yet. :tisk:

·
Registered
Cadillac
15 Posts

I know what you mean... I bought my N* (95 STS) alittle over two weeks ago now, and I LOVE THIS CAR!

The VERY day I got it, I mean litterally 10 minutes after I left the lot. I got onto the freeway and immediately a lil import (tricked out Del Sol) pulled along side of me and floored it... I did the same and walked off on him! I feel in love with the N* WOT :bouncy:

Since then, i've taken her up to 140 MPH (it came stock with the Z rated tires so no limiter), and raced it at the drag stip (she ran a 15.11 @ 94 mph).

These are really amazing vehicals and engine/powertrain's, I'll have trouble owning anything else again!

·
Registered
92 Eldorado 95 Cadillac SLS 99 Cadillac SLS 2004 SRX
107 Posts
That is how I test my northstars before i buy them. Floor it and if it handles well after a few goes and everything else checks out okay then she's a keeper.

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i could focus on the dangers and consequences... however.... I wouldnt want to start off every post with "if i was driving responsibly... and considering if this happens, and that happens..."

I beleive that we all should take into our consideration safety is first! having said that... AMGoff... i feel ya 100%.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
i could focus on the dangers and consequences... however.... I wouldnt want to start off every post with "if i was driving responsibly... and considering if this happens, and that happens..."

I beleive that we all should take into our consideration safety is first! having said that... AMGoff... i feel ya 100%.
Jay... some people are just inherently conservative/cautious, but there's a fine line between extending thoughts/opinions/advice and being a tad condescending (not that I'm necessarily accusing anyone of that). But I pay my bills, I pay my taxes, I check my cars out constantly, I don't bother anyone, I've long given up any "questionable" activities, I go to church on Sundays, my life insurance is current, and there's nary a blemish on my driving record.

So if I feel like blasting down a long straight road every now and then I'm certainly going to, whether others necessarily approve or not. If I ever get pulled over doing so, it's all on me... but in the grand scheme of things with far more nefarious things going on in the world, me barreling down Commisioners Pike here and there is a relatively small offense. :stirpot:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts