Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 2010 Cadillac STS currently at a killer price. $9,325 with only 84k miles. It was bought and serviced at the dealer, so the maintenance records are really good. My only question is about the engine. I have done some super extensive research about the problems with the early 3.6DI engines. What I found was that later build 2010's and forward are okay engine wise. My question is what qualifies as later build? I have looked and I have not found a definitive answer, I asked the car salesman about my build date and it was built in the Lansing Plant on September of 2009 for 2010. I agree that is a later build date for 2009, but is the engine still good?

I also did not spot any timing chain fixes or replacements within it's history, just a bunch of maintenance intervals and oil changes. With a headlight bulb replacement somewhere within it's life and new battery. Insurance is just as much as the 2014 Jeep Wrangler I am currently driving and would like to get back into a sedan, this is seeming like a good deal, but if I am wrong please let me know; Constructive criticism only. Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,993 Posts
Way too much for a ten year old car CTS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed I agree, that’s where I can enter the negotiation phase. To be honest though it’s gonna be hard, because it has perfect records and whoever owned this babied it and garaged it. Also, has a clear bra up front so no rock chips or anything to help me negotiate a lower price. Plus comes with a little bit of a warranty from the caddy dealer. Took it for a test drive, everything works and looks brand new. Leather looks barely work, no scratches on the wood or metal.

Comes with heated rear seats, it’s the pretty red color, I did spend 5 dollars on compnine and figured everything out about the build spec. It has the very base suspension, it’s the level right above base.
V6 All wheel drive and on the 17in chrome wheels.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,993 Posts
I had a 2008 with the 3.6 DI and never had any issue with the engine in about 85K miles

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What the dealer says with the chains is that since this is a later 2010 build, problems won’t be a problem. I see with the sticker it’s a 5k oil change interval. 2010 and 2011 seem to have gotten the chain problem finally ironed out as long as you keep the proper maintenance up, which I intend to do. I believe they get checked at the 100k mile interval and I have not yet got a quote for that yet.
Also, for above, looks like I’m able to knock the price down 500 dollars with 10 free oil changes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I definitely agree, I have looked very carefully at these forums and see that, that expense is something to think about! I do have a savings account namely for car repairs just in case.

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
305 Posts
Sounds like an ok deal if it hasn't suffered too much from a decade of salty road winters. Personally, I'd angle for having some kind of deal on the cam chains if you bring it back to them when it's time. Maybe a 50% coupon kind of thing, unless you don't think you'll have it much longer than a year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s what my mom and I are thinking. According to all professional places it’s all below expected mileage and I KBB’d it as well and it says it’s a pretty good deal. I do agree with the salty roads and haven’t seen much damage, surface rust, on the undercarriage or inside wheel wells like the brakes and struts, etc. it is also sporting new brake pads as well from what I found out.

Thats true, I’ll try to angle that into the deal. They are giving me a full factory warranty for a couple months or x amount of miles kinda deal.

I appreciate everyone’s feed back. I know this may be a dead horse, but I haven’t seen many STS posts about this kinda stuff and it’s more of the CTS that gets more attention and where I have been reading up on the engine problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I definitely plan on keeping this car for at least 2 years. I will then be out of nursing school and hopefully continue on with the Cadillac brand. My grandfather and father have had cadillacs and I would love to carry the torch! I just love the way they drive and the that they keep having the big cars. May be eyeing a CT6 or XTS on the used market after nursing school.

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
305 Posts
I definitely plan on keeping this car for at least 2 years. I will then be out of nursing school and hopefully continue on with the Cadillac brand. My grandfather and father have had cadillacs and I would love to carry the torch! I just love the way they drive and the that they keep having the big cars. May be eyeing a CT6 or XTS on the used market after nursing school.
Sounds like a plan, I'd just make sure to have them put it on the rack so you can walk under it with a flashlight and look for rust and evidence of long-term leaks, cracked rubber bushings, whatever. It's NOT a horrible price, and if I seem critical it's only because I'm looking at it like an assignment of sorts. When I was your age, I was researching $1000 cars over a $750 ones, now at 63 and retired, it's all relative. FWIW, let's pretend it'd be a good deal only at say, $2k less. You have many opportunities ahead of you to make mistakes or triumphs that could cost/make you far more than $2000, so maybe go with your heart and don't agonize over this too much. It's a wonderful driving car, comfy, with great trunk space. That doesn't suck much ;)

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,487 Posts
FWIW, shops all around the country are littered with DI 3.6 LLT engines with failed timing chains...The LFX 3.6 was the revision that put measure in place to try and curb this trend, that engine was never available in the STS. I wouldn't push my luck with one, but that's just me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate the replies! You have to be critical when it comes to used car purchases with anything. That saved me from buying a terrible es350 from a reputable Audi dealer. I got it a PPI and the dealer said stay away. Heck it didn’t even have an air filter in it! So, with rotten experiences with trying to find a solid Lexus we came across this Cadillac! Just seeing the playing field and I have to say this Cadillac looks really well taken care of.

Update: just looked underneath of the car and I would say I’m blown away with how little surface rust there is from these salty roads. I checked the lines and everything, they look in great condition. Learned that I’m riding on the Sachs shocks as well.

It’s looking like we may pull the trigger, another question. Do dealerships use Dino oil? If so I may have to change the deal on these free oil changes. I will only put full synthetic every 5k miles. I heard that keeps the timing chain from causing a ruckus.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From my extensive looking, albeit the CTS forum, it seems there were only a handful of 2010’s that were problematic. 2011’s seemed to have gotten it completely figured it out. I think the biggest problem was doing these long oil changes from Dino oils and people relying on the OLM. I will make sure it’s full synthetic every 5k. Now this is just what I’ve seen, if someone has more information I am more than happy to hear it!

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
305 Posts
You'd have to ask for the service records, if they did the service on it, it'll be listed what they used. My GM dealer always uses the GM recommended oil when they do the changes. I suppose I could demand something cheaper, but I could do that at a kwiky lubie, too.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,487 Posts
FWIW, shops all around the country are littered with DI 3.6 LLT engines with failed timing chains./QUOTE]

You know this how?
Countless forum posts about GM vehicles going to shit with the LLT; 2nd gen CTS, Traverse, Acadia, Enclave, you name it...Also plenty of friends in the automotive repair industry, they've seen their fair share. Like any car, there's good examples out there with no issues, but I'm not taking my chances on one.

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
269 Posts
I have been a mechanic for 30+ years. This is why my STS I just bought has the Northstar. Much more reliable the the 3.6. I know you don't want to hear that, but...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will definitely call up and ask! That’s gonna be a huge factor whether I use the coupons or not. If they use Dino I’ll just go to Valvoline where I know someone and get 20 percent off a full synthetic high mileage oil.
I definitely agree with the V8 and gas mileage actually doesn’t vary that much, but there are no v8’s around me and I really love the AWD especially with how Missouri winters CAN get. Sometimes they’re dry but this year it was horrible and having 4WD Jeep was nice. So all wheel drive is a plus for me. My grandpa has a Cadillac DTS, same year, and that V8 is so silky smooth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the Sachs shocks are those the fancy shocks Cadillac has? I know I have the base wheels and I would assume the base suspension.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts