Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, don't believe the hype, this vehicle has really been a pain in the you know what. Pressure Test at local Cadillac Dealership revealed a blown head gasket. Estimated cost of repair $1500.00. Questions, would it be cheaper to purchase the tools nessesary to perform the job myself? It is known fact pressure test do not reveal crack heads or blocks so there is always the possibilty of the task envolving a little bit more than what was diagnoised at the dealership. I'm pulling my hair out! Yes I am a mechanic but I fix aircraft so I will not pretend to know anything about Northstar 4.6L V8 32V Engines. I have already gone as far as obtaining the GM Factory Manual for my vehicle. Should I continue the journey or beg some local mechanic for mercy on the bill? Feedback!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2010 Black Cherry CTS AWD
263 Posts
$1500!!!! :eek: You're lucky, my head gasket blew and I had to have it redone by the dealership. I had them do a whole ton of extra stuff to it since they had the engine open and mine cost $8,000! :crying2: I was able to get Cadillac to pay $7,500 of it sine the car just left the warranty timing, it happened just at 50K miles. I think they may be stringing you along if that's all that they said. They have to take that engine out to do this stuff. For some reason, $1,500 doesn't sound that right to me. Hey, if it is, I'd go with it, I don't think it would be the headache to do it yourself. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Make sure they do it right or it will give you nothing but trouble. The N* aluminum block needs timeserting. Be sure they do this. While they have the engine out of the car, you may as well let them replace any gaskets, etc. that need it like the "half case seal". It may add to the expense, but it is better to do it now believe me! Have them check things like the water pump too. The $1500 just doesn't sound right to me. These jobs run around $3000 at most shops. Be sure they are reliable before you spend that kind of money. Personally, I gave up on Cadillac dealers and was lucky enough to find an excellent shop here that specializes in Cadillacs.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
You're mechanically inclined - I recommend that if you have another set of wheels, do it yourself. That's just me talking. Either way, follow the aforementioned advice. Take your time.

Those guys may be lowballing you or worse, don't know what they are getting in to. If it's a dealership, I'd suspect the former.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
EcSTSatic said:
You're mechanically inclined - I recommend that if you have another set of wheels, do it yourself. That's just me talking. Either way, follow the aforementioned advice. Take your time.

Those guys may be lowballing you or worse, don't know what they are getting in to. If it's a dealership, I'd suspect the former.
Amen! Not much good news is shared here about dealership service departments. I don't trust or believe them any further than I can throw them and all of their ancestors. $1500 is probably the cheapest quote I've seen here for head gaskets. Sounds like they wouldn't timesert it, or at least they wouldn't do the job properly. Ask for a price guarantee and a 2-year warranty on the job.

·
Registered
2013 3.6L ATS
75 Posts
Mine was quoted for $3k. If they offered me $1500 I'd still be driving my first caddy. I miss her :( '96 Pearl Eldorado ETC. It's cool tho'. I am growing to love my 4 door with custom paint these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts