Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a weak question, but I'll post it anyway. Hopefully it won't become the joke of the board, lol!

If I am going to clean out my TB, do I NEED to take it off, or can i take the intake up to the TB off, and go house on what I can see with a can of Gumout? Something tells me if I skip the "removal" step, I'm going to be paying for it in the cost of screwed up electronics or something...

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Not required to remove throttle body. Be sure to have all electrical connectors back on the intake plumbing before you start the engine, though.

Scrub the heck out of the perimeter of the throttle blade and enjoy non-sticking off-idle throttle response. On mine, that is a 30,000 mile routine item.

Jim

·
Registered
1993 STS and 2004 DTS
564 Posts
Just my two cents worth.

Cleaning the throttle body is a good idea and is very easy. I would be a little concerned with using a brush of any type though. A bristle or two sucked in and caught between the valve face and seat can easily start a valve to burn.

I have had good luck with using the spray cleaner and carefully wiping any heavy spots with the tip of a clean rag. Then start the car and finish spraying the throttle body clean with the engine held at a fast idle.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
The throttle body is simple enough to remove that youd be stupid not to remove it. Just 4 bolts and a couple coolant lines and electrical connectors, and its offf.... Plus about $1 for a new gasket.....

·
Registered
1993 STS and 2004 DTS
564 Posts
"The throttle body is simple enough to remove that youd be stupid not to remove it. Just 4 bolts and a couple coolant lines and electrical connectors, and its offf.... Plus about $1 for a new gasket....."

Hmmm....or just a careful wiping and spraying; and the job is done.

I clean mine once a year and actually after the first time there was very little to clean. I put on about 22,000 miles a year on my 93' STS.

No unnecessary unbolting, no potentially damaged coolant lines, no messy loss of coolant (even though it is a small amount), no broken electrical connection locking tabs, and no need to replace any gaskets.

If I was dealing with reviving a junkyard engine I would remove the throttle body, but not for just a simple cleaning to make sure it is clean and moves freely.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
THe the thing where the black intake hose ends..... Its on the right hand side of the engine, youll see some cables attached to it....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts