Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm going to the Pocono Raceway on the 19th of June for the Hooked On Driving day by Roush. Anyone interested? Go to www.hookedondriving.com and go to the events to register. Would like to meet any of you guys in the area.

My question, any problem putting some race fuel with these cars. Have W4M tune. Would the computer adjust for the higher Octane? I did this in my Grand National with no real issues. Just an O2 sensor light after awhile. i just take it out spray it with carb cleaner and it was good to go. I really don't want to do that with my Caddy but... Not that i really need it for this event as we are doing instruction and some hot laps.. yeah baby! So it probably is not necessary. But for 1/4 mi. yes! Any way like to see any one of you guys there. It starts from 7:00 am to 5 PM. Long day for just $325:00 And you get catered lunch. Not bad. See yas!

·
Registered
CTS-v 09 auto
81 Posts
the o2 sensor went off because the fuel was likely leaded......the car should adjust timing t max if actaene allows it.....i asked Jesse for a 94 max tune...i add some UNLEADED 101 VP to a low tank and walla for a few buck i can run max timing...rther than being limited to 91 octane timing.. 93 is available here is suny south florida

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V, '09 CTS-V
121 Posts
I hadn't planned on going, but I have the day off and that looks like fun. Do you know if the day is spent driving around the oval or if it involves any of the infield road course?

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
The biggest problem with running race fuel is it contains either lead or a lead substitute called MTB, or something like that and it will plug your cat. Regardless of your tune, if you are running a cat, stick with 101 VP unleaded, or something similar & definitely unleaded. In Kali, you can get 100 octane unleaded at some stations directly out of the pump, but anything above that in octane #'s and it will be leaded and available only out of the can. 02 sensors are cheap, cats are not. I could run about 23 lbs of boost in my turbo Buick when running 100 octane VP unleaded fuel with no adverse effects, but I was not running a cat at the time.
HTH

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
1st. Yes the seat time will involve the entire Nascar tri oval and parts of the infield for the road course portion. It will be sick. Starts at 7:00 am registraton and car inspection, some class room prep, then groups will go out i guess. A catered lunch will be served and last laps will end at 5:00pm. check this link out to see the entire program. Not bad for $325.00. http://www.hookedondriving.com/programs.cfm The venue is Pocono http://www.hookedondriving.com/venues.cfm The Event listing is here. http://www.hookedondriving.com/category.cfm?category=1 Looks like the beginner class is sold out but iwould imgine you could get into the intermediate class may be wit some track experience. I did th ebeginner anyway. Looking to get the most out of it.

2nd. I do remember that now. i punched out my cats for that reason. In New York where i live, they only visually see the Cat. they dont do the sniffer tests. Not sure if they are planning to start doing it. Man i wish we could get some 100 Octane fuel around here. What is the VP stand for? Yeah i used to know where to buy a few cans of Cam 2 fuel and mix it up. I could get 20+ lbs. of boost in my GN also. Miss that car. Now that i am all grown up and have the the baddest ass Caddy, it makes me feel like im 20 again. Question, What about these "flex fuels"? Can the V support that? And where would we get some. I thought these were higher rated octane values right? Any one know about this?

I definitly am planning of buying a pulley but want to put the biggest ring i can. I want to work on the fuel issues as W4M speeks of. BTW Jesse you gonna get me that reflash for my 160 Tstat? just want to know that i am going to be Dialed for the 19th. sent you an email last week about this. Any way my goal is 700 hp (I don't know why. I just like that number) So when the fuel delivery issues are worked out for the higher boost i will do the MAX build i can with out getting into the engine....YET. I would assume that we need some better gas to suport those numbers or am i wrong?

Thanks for the info and maybe see some you guys out in the Pocono mountains.:D

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
1st.............
2nd. I do remember that now. i punched out my cats for that reason. In New York where i live, they only visually see the Cat. they dont do the sniffer tests. Not sure if they are planning to start doing it. Man i wish we could get some 100 Octane fuel around here. What is the VP stand for? Yeah i used to know where to buy a few cans of Cam 2 fuel and mix it up. I could get 20+ lbs. of boost in my GN also. Miss that car. Now that i am all grown up and have the the baddest ass Caddy, it makes me feel like im 20 again. Question, What about these "flex fuels"? Can the V support that? And where would we get some. I thought these were higher rated octane values right? Any one know about this?
3rd.................
.:D
You're much braver than I am, I would have never punched out the original cats without buying a 2nd pair just tio keep everything on the up & up. But that's just me. In Kali, as a minimum, they scrutinize the damn cars with a fine tooth comb, and then some.
On such high emitting profile (HEP) cars as the turbo Buicks we get smogged on a dyno every 2 years, and they are trying to pass new laws to require cars 15 years and older back to the cutoff of the rolling calendar ('76) to do smog every year. This year the bill failed, but probably not next year.
I'm on my 5th turbo Buick, so I guess that I will probably never grow up by your definition. I'll age, I'll grow old probably, and definitely die but probably never grow up. And I am planning on ordering a '10 CTS-V shortly, diamond white, no nav, no roof treatment, no polished wheels, so that mean's an order car & very little chance of finding what I want on a showroom floor.
VP is VP Racing Fuels, dunno what the "VP" itself actually stands for, and I am sure that there is some Sunoco 100 unleaded around you somewhere if no VP. HTH & good luck on the racing.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey 8 Speed aren't you the guy with the F bashing the V for its problems? Why don't you bring that Bad Boy Toy-ota to the track and see what it's got?

Thanks guys for the gas tips. I gotta check around. I have not even seen any Sunoco carrying the 94 recently. What gives man? As for my Cats on the Caddy? They will stay. I do have some green sense. Maybe check into some higher flow ones. I do want some more sound. I am just waiting for all the major companies to get their products out and some more testing and videos and sound clips. I always liked the Mustangs and the Flowmasters. Just a great, unique sound. Like to find some thing like that.

Hey AZ, see you at the track. It will be a blast. Don't forget a 2000-05 S rated helmet! Hopefuly mine will be in this week.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V, '09 CTS-V
121 Posts
Apparently the "Beginner" group is available again, but I'm going to stay in the "Intermediate." It should be fun.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V, '09 CTS-V
121 Posts
No one else going to this event? It seems like a great opportunity for a bunch of Northeast CTS-V's to get together.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ditto. Maybe we should post it on the V1 site...bet there are some real motor heads over there. You good at posting links AZ?

Come on guys it will be a blast. Chance to meet everyone. Save some of the money and not buy that intake this month and come out and really see what your V can do.

·
Registered
11 V Black Diamond Sedan, 16 Escalade Premium (wife's)
221 Posts
looks from the schedule like they're running the long course, you get two straights and a banked turn and then haul it down for a 90 degree (at like 80 or so) into the infield and some infield work..(toughest and riskiest part of the track is the transitions from infield to oval and vice versa)..you realistically should have no problem seeing 150-160 or more (you're beginners on street tires and stock brakes) just make sure to listen to your instructors.....also since its a new ride even if you're in intermediate grab an instructor for the first few sessions to make sure you have everything in check. Active handling/stabilitrak will cover your ass and make you think you're better than you really are.....I went from a vette with it to one without and realized very quickly I had better improve and not rely on the electronics. (of course it makes corner entry and exit a hell of alot more fun now)

I might have to check my shedule....might be worth a trip out there. (even if I"m a vette guy and a year out on a CTSV till my truck is paid off) I've run with hooked on driving before, they're a good group. if you hear a loud (straight pipes with a solid roller C5R 427 that I don't let go under 4k rpms) and obnoxious black C5 vette.....its me causing trouble.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah me too. but this friggin rain. Looks like only 20% chance of rain. We'll see. Heading out tonight. Have to check with my buddy to see where we are staying. catch ya there

1 - 16 of 16 Posts